They're just going to ignore it. The feeling is that it is limiting and not in the spirit of the original trilogy. Whether they are still there or not is irrelevant, as the term won't be used again.

Or do as I'm going to do, and don't watch EP 1 ever again!! It itself is almost a completely closed movie, with no storylines that extend to the following films that those films themselves don't already discuss. As stated by the Machete Order, where you watch Eps 4 and 5, then skip back to 2 and 3, before going on to 6, it knocks midichlorines out almost entirely while still preserving the shock aspect of Vader announcing that he is Luke's father.

/Film: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Deleted Scenes: 20 Scenes Cut From The Final Film

The "General Leia and the New Republic" scene fixes my one major issue with the film; that is, what is the relationship between the Republic, the Resistance, and the First Order, and what is the significance of the Hosnian System? I'd love to see a faneditor reincorporate it into the movie after this stuff is released with the Blu-ray. It blows my mind that it wasn't including, as the movie itself isn't clear at all about any of those things.

As I understand it, there is an uneasy truce between the New Republic and the Empire Remnant. Leia has burned her bridges in the new Senate as being a war hawk and crying Wolf, so she has turned the Rebels into the Resistance and continues the fight against the First Order. Some in the Republic support her and her forces, which leads to the First Order destroying the Senate, which has taken to rotating its sessions between the capitols of the member worlds.

None of this is explained in the movie however, which is sad. I would have gladly watched another thirty minutes of it just to know all that, without having to go through multi-media such as the cutaway and art books.

And apparently there were some scenes shot with members of the New Republic Senate. But they were cut...

I can only hope we will get an extended version when it comes to DVD!

I don't think this has been brought up in the thread but a beef I have with the film was the way it ended. All the previous films and even most of Clone Wars and Rebels end in a celebration or a somber 'look off into the sunset' shot where as this film just closed on two people looking at each other. Very anti-Star Wars cinematography IMHO.

Not just that, but this film ends on a scene that will almost assuredly have to be picked up immediately in the next, or referenced in a Flashback. None of the other films ended on unfinished scenes.

Why would it have to be picked up immediately in the next film?

You didn't get that in that scene Rey has acknowledged her destiny and is asking Luke (who is clearly reticent) to train her?

You really need the words to be said?

The scene felt complete to me. The story of her awakening ends with that plea.

What comes next should be the explanation of how we got to the events in the opening of The Force Awakens.

That would be a shame, but I suspect you are correct.

Although, we may get the important/relevant bits piecemeal in the next installment.

Edited by Chas

Thought that the ending was perfect. And I'm very glad that it didn't evoke feelings of the other 'climatic' victory celebrations like the endings of other SW episodes, especially since it would have given the folks screaming "Derivative of Episode IV!!!" something else to go on about.

Also had no issue with the score it felt to me, decidedly OT Star Wars, I really liked Rey's Theme and especially enjoy The Scavenger.

-b.

You didn't get that in that scene Rey has acknowledged her destiny and is asking Luke (who is clearly reticent) to train her?

What comes next should be the explanation of how we got to the events in the opening of The Force Awakens.

Considering it involves the planet with the first Jedi Temple, Luke's wherabouts for the past decade, important introductions, etc, yeah, they need to pick back up there.

Anything less would be akin to ending Empire on Degoba when Yoda grabs Luke's ration.

Makes me wonder why obvious plot strengthening scenes that are fully filmed are removed and things that could be cut for time (like Rey making dinner for example) are left.

Rey making dinner was a character strengthening scene. (Basically, "Rey's shitty life")

Considering it involves the planet with the first Jedi Temple, Luke's wherabouts for the past decade, important introductions, etc, yeah, they need to pick back up there.

Anything less would be akin to ending Empire on Degoba when Yoda grabs Luke's ration.

The first Jedi temple business only matters if it has a bearing on the story to come, it may simply be where he chose to pass the time, Like Yoda chose Degoba, and the writers are going to do nothing else with it.

And really you think introductions are needed? Which one of the 3 characters in that final scene do you think needs to be introduced to the others?

#3 last night in IMAX. The experience was trash. My local 15 second drive from my house Galaxy has a DFX ATMOS screen with luxury (recliner) seating. We were packed into the IMAX like sardines, it was hot, it sounded like crap, the 3D glasses physically hurt to wear and the food was a joke.

That aside, it does look a lot like a gravestone that Luke is standing next to. There's also a ton said without words in that scene. The subtle emotion they both put forth is awesome. She's like "hey bro, you lost this but now it's time to train me with it" and he's like "dang, where'd you get that? I'm not sure if I can do that again. The Force has hurt me bad in the past and I don't know if I can let her do that to me again."

Adam Driver really nails it. The more I watch, the more I see from him in that character.

I think Carrie is the weakest link of them all. It didn't seem like an issue the first couple of times but watching her again, she's just dragging in her scenes and when Han dies her reaction to feeling it in the Force is meh. I think she could've done a lot better.

Still wondering what the significance of the ashes he puts his helmet in is.

Anyone else notice the Finn and Rey pushing the blade length adjustment switch to activate Anikin/Luke's lightsaber? Or maybe I was just imagining it.

There's a deleted scene I would have liked to have seen - Chewie ripping someone's arm out of the socket. We hear how strong and powerful Wookies are, but it would have been nice to see Chewie actually do this. So far, he's always been a tall walking carpet with amazing marksmanship skills with a cross-bow/blaster. I will give him some credit for actually losing his cool when Han dies.

Edited by peter

Anyone else notice the Finn and Rey pushing the blade length adjustment switch to activate Anikin/Luke's lightsaber? Or maybe I was just imagining it.There's a deleted scene I would have liked to have seen - Chewie ripping someone's arm out of the socket. We hear how strong and powerful Wookies are, but it would have been nice to see Chewie actually do this. So far, he's always been a tall walking carpet with amazing marksmanship skills with a cross-bow/blaster. I will give him some credit for actually losing his cool when Han dies.

LOL....that reminded me....in all the years Han and Chewie have been together...not once did Han try out the bowcaster? And aren't those too much too handle for non-Wookies...or at least humans....lame

THIS.

#3 last night in IMAX. The experience was trash. My local 15 second drive from my house Galaxy has a DFX ATMOS screen with luxury (recliner) seating. We were packed into the IMAX like sardines, it was hot, it sounded like crap, the 3D glasses physically hurt to wear and the food was a joke.

We have an excellent IMAX near me, best seats in the area, best sound, etc... If anyone has a top notch Imax theater nearby see this THERE! It was well filmed for the format.

I am guessing this IMAX was top notch before my local Galaxy got renovated. Galaxy is now assigned recliners in all theaters and the DFX ATMOS screen is massive and sounds amazing. They upgraded their menu too. They are in the middle of adding an IMAX screen that management is promising to be better than the DFX screen. Won't be open until February though. We'll see.

Actually, it wasn't filmed for IMAX, lol.

Doesn't matter, it looks great.

As a comparison, the week before we saw "In the Heart of the Sea" and it looked terrible. No idea if it was filmed for Imax either but the 3d effects in that one looked terrible while Star Wars looked incredible.

EDIT. My actual word usage was "well filmed for the format". NOT " filmed for the format"

Edited by Dynaman

Regarding the Force ghosts....Yoda said that Qui-gon "taught" him how to commune with him....per ROTS Yoda then teaches Obi-wan...but who taught Anakin?

Or is this what Plagueis meant by "cheating" death?....or is the "Force Ghost" ability the light-side version of "immortality"?

In the latest comic adaptations by marvel, Luke was kidnapped by a Hutt who was a serious collector of Jedi artifacts and some of the items included a vast number of holocrons 1 which Luke found back in tattooine in Obis old hut.

In the latest comic adaptations by marvel, Luke was kidnapped by a Hutt who was a serious collector of Jedi artifacts and some of the items included a vast number of holocrons 1 which Luke found back in tattooine in Obis old hut.

And remember, boys and girls, the prequels don't really matter anymore. They exist, but they won't be leaned upon for story content. I suspect this has as much to do with the continuity issues between them and the OT as it does with their unpopularity.

I'm just happy that the outer space SciFi dry spell is over for a while. Granted we had a few here and there but this year we have SW7, Star Trek, Independance Day 2, and another Star Trek to look forward too.

Back to the theater on Saturday to see Star Wars again, first time I've watched a film at the theater twice since the original Star Wars.

I'm just happy that the outer space SciFi dry spell is over for a while. Granted we had a few here and there but this year we have SW7, Star Trek, Independance Day 2, and another Star Trek to look forward too.

Back to the theater on Saturday to see Star Wars again, first time I've watched a film at the theater twice since the original Star Wars.

Only TWICE...? I mean, I saw the original Star Wars TWELVE TIMES in the theater... Fourteen if you include the Special Edition!

Okay, yeah... Most of of those were before affordable home video, but STILL...

And remember, boys and girls, the prequels don't really matter anymore. They exist, but they won't be leaned upon for story content. I suspect this has as much to do with the continuity issues between them and the OT as it does with their unpopularity.

Remember?

How can anyone reading this thread possibly forget....you keep repeating the same thing every chance you get....LOL