Star Wars, the merch continues.

Lucas has to have a backdoor clause on the merch doesn't he? Making percentages?

I think it's funny .. if the people buy loads of toys and stuff for this movie and it does happen to suck.

Edited by Gakken85

Star Wars, the merch continues.

Lucas has to have a backdoor clause on the merch doesn't he? Making percentages?

I think it's funny .. if the people buy loads of toys and stuff for this movie and it does happen to suck.

I was playing with my interactive R2 D2 the other day and thought the same thing: what if this is another "Crystal Skulls" disaster?

LEGO and t-shirts pretty much comprise my Star Wars purchases, besides the tickets for the upcoming movie. I honestly don't think they'll be worse than the Prequels..they set their own bar for terribleness, although in all fairness, some of the ship/mech designs were cool, it had pretty visuals, some cool lightsaber action, and Ewan McGregor did a good job as Obi-wan IMHO. Hell, they could make a stand alone series, the Obi-wan Chronicles, showing his adventures in the years immediately following the fall of the Jedi and the formation of the Empire, with Ewan reprising the role, and I'd be interested in watching that. That would make a nice series for Disney.

I truly hope Ep VII is awesome; J.J. Abrams seems pretty passionate about Star Wars, and from the trailers, I definitely get an old school SW vibe. If he can maintain it , throw in a little new stuff, and tell a good story in the process, then I'll be satisfied.

In the meantime, Dave Filoni and crew are doing a good job with Rebels...great show.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Cool merch is always cool. I may yet pick up an RC BB8. The movie's potential suckitude won't ruin the toy.

Are you looking at the Sphero made one? I'd probably get that one but I don't have a smart phone so the app part of the droid would be useless to me...

Are you looking at the Sphero made one? I'd probably get that one but I don't have a smart phone so the app part of the droid would be useless to me...

Don't get the Sphero if you don't have a smart phone or tablet. You can't control it without it.

That said it's fun as heck. I gotta find some batteries to try the Hasbro BB8.

Whether the movie is good or not, the merchandise will usually be entertaining in one way or another.

And either way, once you get the hype-train rolling, you know that even if the new movie is terrible, all the nostalgia for the old movies will result in tons of merchandise from them as well.

I'm really not feeling any of the new ship designs, but I'm loving the new model kits of the original ships. :)

Eh, I view the new X-wing like I do the new Enterprise: changed to look different without anyone actually thinking much about the changes, or whether they would make sense, even in-universe. That's just my personal impression though, and not really anything worth getting into here. :p

Between the quality of the Revell kits, and the lack of the Bandai ones though, that just makes it easier for me to stick with the originals I already have to build.

The new X-Wing quickly grew on me. It's not that different and directly comes from the original artwork.

Whereas the JJprise is still ugly and completely goes against all established looks for Starfleet. (While the Kelvin is a great "old" design)

yeah I have to admit it took me a while to come to terms with the JJ's Enterprise redesign but now im quite liking it! There are a few little details im still not so fond of but overall its a good design. My favorite is still the Constitution refit from the original movies though.

Bleh. Long story short, I'm stupidly picky about these kinds of designs, and I hate changing things just for the sake of making them "new," without thinking about what effects those changes would have.

The JJ-prise was scaled up after the design was already done, and they didn't bother to adjust the structural cues on the exterior to match it. I don't mind the design aesthetically that much, it just bugs me that the design is basically an unfinished job now, that has no real coherence between interior and exterior details.

On the X-wing, I can't stand the new wings (if you can even call those toothpicks in the front "wings"). The asymmetry drives me nuts, both in an aesthetic sense, and from thinking the ship would roll like a lopsided kickball from the uneven mass distribution. Why couldn't they just keep all four wings the same shape? And to top that off, because of how they tweaked the way the wings merge, they're only attached to the engines by half of their thickness, so they look like a huge structural weakpoint.

Apologies for bringing this up in general, but yeah. Maybe I'll get one of the new kits eventually to mod into the original ANH concept art style, but those wings make me cringe in more ways than I even want to list.

As Doug Drexler would say, you're letting your ape brain rule you. You're looking at futuristic designs with an expectation of contemporary materials and engineering being used to construct it, instead of the super-strong materials they're undoubtedly using. Heck, look at what we have today-graphene, carbon nanotubes, and other materials we've barely scratched the surface of. Heck, just a month or so ago, the Navy announced a material that's as close as makes no difference to transparent aluminum!

Open mind, in other words.

I also like the JJ Enterprise. Not as much as the originals, but I can see where they were going and I like it.

You're looking at futuristic designs with an expectation of contemporary materials and engineering being used to construct it, instead of the super-strong materials they're undoubtedly using.

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

Laws of physics might be able to be broken, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the design still looks horribly lopsided and unbalanced to me. If you ignore the physics, yeah, it's just aesthetics, and I just think the change to the wings is the ugliest thing ever done to an X-wing. I can't come up with any reason whatsoever that that would have some sort of benefit for the design, even in-universe, and it just feels like it was done for the sole purpose of changing things to make them look different. Like.. I would love it if it was the original concept. I've loved that design forever. This thing just isn't that design.

But anyway, back to actually discussing things more people care about. Bottom line, more kits and toys for people who actually like the design, since you won't get any competition from me. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Man, at that price the Sphero needs to be friggin' life-size, not thumb-size. The Hasbro one is bigger, cheaper, and makes droid sounds. I don't see how the Sphero is even in the running.

Personal opinion, your mileage may vary, past performance is no indicator of future success, all trademarks are the property of their respective owners, et cetera.

The new X-Wing quickly grew on me. It's not that different and directly comes from the original artwork.

Can you direct us to this "original artwork" that you are talking about.

Or do you mean this stuff by Joe Johnston from the 70's?

tumblr_n8wlumnvLW1s2wio8o5_1280.png

tumblr_n10abyrBbH1s6w6foo1_1280.jpg

Man, at that price the Sphero needs to be friggin' life-size, not thumb-size. The Hasbro one is bigger, cheaper, and makes droid sounds. I don't see how the Sphero is even in the running.Personal opinion, your mileage may vary, past performance is no indicator of future success, all trademarks are the property of their respective owners, et cetera.

I just want a BB8 that will function like my interactive R2 D2, without all of the flaws of course.

As for the JJPrise, I don't like the Constitution class anyway, so bleh. No iteration of it will ever get me excited.

As for the FA vehicles, I'm disappointed they couldn't come up with something more original and creative than changing a line or two and adding a bit of color here and there on decades old designs and callin it a day, however those vehicles are synonymous with Star Wars and I guess having a Star Wars movie without the classic stuff would be like not having light sabers in it. One of Han Solo's lines is, "we're home," or something to that effect. FA is as much an homage to the fans as it is a new cash cow...

Edited by myk

As for the FA vehicles, I'm disappointed they couldn't come up with something more original and creative than changing a line or two and adding a bit of color here and there on decades old designs and callin it a day, however those vehicles are synonymous with Star Wars and I guess having a Star Wars movie without the classic stuff would be like not having light sabers in it. One of Han Solo's lines is, "we're home," or something to that effect. FA is as much an homage to the fans as it is a new cash cow...

Agreed. You would think in some 30-odd years, they would be using something else besides an X-Wing v.2. And you would think the First Order would be using something new besides TIE Fighters v.2. Between the Clone Wars and the Rebellion, even those ships changed and that was only 20-odd years.

Agreed. You would think in some 30-odd years, they would be using something else besides an X-Wing v.2. And you would think the First Order would be using something new besides TIE Fighters v.2. Between the Clone Wars and the Rebellion, even those ships changed and that was only 20-odd years.

The prequel era designs could not be more out of step with the original films. They don't look like Star Wars and they don't feel like Star Wars. Everyone makes their own choice; me, I've chosen to disregard the prequel era.

How many times have they reused the name Star Killer? They reuse everything from the past.

If a design is good why change it? Plenty of car companies release the same model car year after year. They used new designs in the prequels and most of them sucked. 30 years of star wars or a Star Cold Wars of possibly disorganized planets may brought slow changes.

I never understood the changes between the Clone Wars stuff and the Rebellion era, The Alliance's gear was dirty, battered and old looking. In should have what they were using in the Clone War just new looking during it.

You'd think they pick up at least the TIE Interceptor from Ep. VI.

They don't need the interceptor, besides as far as I knew, the Interceptor was not multipurpose, where the standard Tie is.

Hence why the First order just upgraded the Tie Fighter to have a rear turret and shield generators.

Like taking an F-18, and making an F-18 super hornet. Same basic look, all new guts and computers.

The Rebillion was a tattered group of resistance fighters using any tech donated by the groups added.

It's going to be weathered, old and barely together. The Clone Wars era tech was all paid for by the Republic.

New shiny, equipment.

Based on current pre-FA canon being shown, the Rebellion is strong in some places, and hanging by a thread in others.

The Imperials are running blockades on entire systems, denying the destruction of the DS2 and the Emperor.