When you consider the original jump to light speed effect, just about anything else could be considered an improvement, graphically speaking. HOWEVER, I think the original jump effect was perfect for Star Wars, but I get it: today's movie crowd needs to be seduced by lights and colors aplenty...

It's the same effect, just from a different perspective. Same design, same color.

No, the trailer, silly.

Lol

The trailer appears to spoil nothing.

Exactly. While evoking the strongest emotions from most of us, all of what we've seen doesn't say anything definitive about what is going on. So people should just watch the trailers and stuff; no need to fuss and fret for the next two months while everyone else gleefully speculates... Edited by myk

Something to note, though we've seen it before, I think this is the first time in star wars we've seen someone wearing white robes who is cloaked in a black robe. We've seen black on black, brown on black, and lighter browns on white. This is the first time we've seen such a stark contrast.

There's actually a MAJOR spoiler in the trailer. I've been avoiding spoilers, but this was something I had suspected for quite a while. Not gonna say where, but I am shocked they included that shot in the trailer.

Something to note, though we've seen it before, I think this is the first time in star wars we've seen someone wearing white robes who is cloaked in a black robe. We've seen black on black, brown on black, and lighter browns on white. This is the first time we've seen such a stark contrast.

Wait, who?

Exactly. While evoking the strongest emotions from most of us, all of what we've seen doesn't say anything definitive about what is going on. So people should just watch the trailers and stuff; no need to fuss and fret for the next two months while everyone else gleefully speculates...

A fair point. I'm gonna think about it. For sure, though - if I decide to watch it, I'm gonna wait til I get home & watch it on the big tv. iPhone won't do.

There's actually a MAJOR spoiler in the trailer. I've been avoiding spoilers, but this was something I had suspected for quite a while. Not gonna say where, but I am shocked they included that shot in the trailer.

Wait, who?

You've got me curious about the spoiler now. Tag it so I can "ruin" it for myself?

Also, whoever it is putting their hand on Artoo has a stark white sleeve but is wearing a black cloak.

You've got me curious about the spoiler now. Tag it so I can "ruin" it for myself?

Also, whoever it is putting their hand on Artoo has a stark white sleeve but is wearing a black cloak.

Oh, yes, Luke's arm. I am assuming that's a white jacket, not a robe.

And, just for you, Mommar, here is what I *believe* the spoiler to be. It's a MAJOR one, so consider yourself duly warned. Seriously, you probably don't want to look at this, even though I don't know for sure. Really, don't look. Also, I don't want anyone who does know for sure to confirm or deny this. Just move along.

Rey is crying over Han's dead body.

Edited by Duke Togo

I think if you watch this too much and you have a very critical eye you could spoil the movie for yourself pretty hard.

Stupid choice of editing.

If you've seen both trilogies it's pretty easy to figure out some of the core story beats.

JJ's biggest success is that the trailer is so awe-inspiring that nobody mentioned the massive lens flare in Kylo's shot on the bridge.

Only took 14 hours for that comment to show up. Guess the nerdgasm finally ended. You should consult your doctor for nerdgasms lasting more than a few hours. :lol:

Only took 14 hours for that comment to show up. Guess the nerdgasm finally ended.

Obvious lens flare is obvious, I didn't think it was even worth bringing up. I'm more interested in what that big, red light (beam?) was.

Edited by Duke Togo

Oh, yes, Luke's arm. I am assuming that's a white jacket, not a robe.

And, just for you, Mommar, here is what I *believe* the spoiler to be. It's a MAJOR one, so consider yourself duly warned. Seriously, you probably don't want to look at this, even though I don't know for sure. Really, don't look. Also, I don't want anyone who does know for sure to confirm or deny this. Just move along.

Rey is crying over Han's dead body.

You might be on to something,

except if you freeze the frame, its Chewy

Edited by skullmilitia

Is the huge spoiler about something visible in the snow-planet/X-wing scene if you look close? I hadn't noticed until someone pointed it out, and it seems almost certain now.

(It's a "thing" spoiler vs a "person" spoiler). I figure a truly huge spoiler almost has to be a person though)

I'm not understanding the complaints about the hyperspace jump or calling it Trek. It has always been star streaking and then hyperspace itself was the swirling white/blue tunnel.

Chris

Is the huge spoiler about something visible in the snow-planet/X-wing scene if you look close? I hadn't noticed until someone pointed it out, and it seems almost certain now.

(It's a "thing" spoiler vs a "person" spoiler). I figure a truly huge spoiler almost has to be a person though)

That wasn't the spoiler, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

[tinfoilhat]Given his opening bit of dialog about being raised to fight, what if Finn is a Mandalorian?[/tinfoilhat]

Edited by Duke Togo

You're thinking of ST: Nemesis. The first really sucky even numbered film.

Insurrection was the one that felt like a regular TV episode of the week. That was the one with the peace-loving aliens vs the stretch-faced aliens, horrible jokes at Worf's expense, and a joystick controller for the Enterprise.

Back on topic, in any case, I'd rather watch Vader whupping ass again In Rebels Season 2 premiere.

You are correct sir!

2D, how it was filmed and meant to be seen

Yup, besides, 3D still feels like overly forced perspective to me. More distracting than entertaining.

I wasn't sure what to think for the first few seconds, but it just got better and better as it went on. I really love the chunkiness to the dogfight scenes, the way hits seem to have a real impact on stuff.

Anyone else notice the Imperial standard-issue vertical floor-with-slots-in in the opening shots? :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I'm not understanding the complaints about the hyperspace jump or calling it Trek. It has always been star streaking and then hyperspace itself was the swirling white/blue tunnel.

Chris

If I understand the chronology (bear with me)...

It's because when JJ Abrams made the first Star Trek (2009) there was talk that his version of Warp Speed was kinda Star Wars-ish (with some Zoic Studio's style documentary camera shake thrown in)

Now, two Trek films in and another on the way, the Abrams Warp has become the established Warp effect, the established modern "Trek"

Abrams is now able to make Star Wars like he always wanted, hence folks have retroactively noticed how Star Wars-ish he made Trek (2009)

Hence, folks complain now that the new Star Wars hyperspace travel is "too Trek"

Basically, people have a very short memory :)

If I understand the chronology (bear with me)...

It's because when JJ Abrams made the first Star Trek (2009) there was talk that his version of Warp Speed was kinda Star Wars-ish (with some Zoic Studio's style documentary camera shake thrown in)

Now, two Trek films in and another on the way, the Abrams Warp has become the established Warp effect, the established modern "Trek"

Abrams is now able to make Star Wars like he always wanted, hence folks have retroactively noticed how Star Wars-ish he made Trek (2009)

Hence, folks complain now that the new Star Wars hyperspace travel is "too Trek"

Basically, people have a very short memory :)

People are slow and stupid then. I always said that the original Trek was just Star Wars even if the 2009 version I'm relatively okay with (unlike Into Darkness, which I hate.)

Edited by Mommar