If you ever compare the revell and the bandai kits there is a huge difference in quality, detail, proportions, and scaling. The Bandai kits are hands down some of the best out there for those who don't have the skill/patience for the higher end kits.

Only that with Star Wars, there aren't any higher end (plastic) kits...

Too true. Bandai currently occupies the very pinnacle of mass produced plastic kits for the Star Wars property, a spot previously held by Fine Molds; and in many many ways, least of wish is the sheer selection -- and growing, Bandai has even outdone that high watermark. That Disney is deliberately denying worldwide fans and hobbyists easy access to these wonderful renditions of classic and future figure and vehicle kits, thereby saddling everyone outside Japan and East Asia with woefully inferior crap (maybe Revell will surprise us if they indeed issue kits from Fine Molds' tooling, but what they've shown so far is laughably bad), or forcing gray-market deals to acquire them henceforth, is inexcusable from a fan standpoint, and reeks of the top-down, cronyism-laden, heavy-handed, corporate control that the House of Mouse is infamous for.

Too true. Bandai currently occupies the very pinnacle of mass produced plastic kits for the Star Wars property, a spot previously held by Fine Molds; and in many many ways, least of wish is the sheer selection -- and growing, Bandai has even outdone that high watermark. That Disney is deliberately denying worldwide fans and hobbyists easy access to these wonderful renditions of classic and future figure and vehicle kits, thereby saddling everyone outside Japan and East Asia with woefully inferior crap (maybe Revell will surprise us if they indeed issue kits from Fine Molds' tooling, but what they've shown so far is laughably bad), or forcing gray-market deals to acquire them henceforth, is inexcusable from a fan standpoint, and reeks of the top-down, cronyism-laden, heavy-handed, corporate control that the House of Mouse is infamous for.

Revell are deffinately releasing at least 3 Finemolds kits, 1/48 X-wing and TIE fighter, 1/72 Falcon.

I will admit that the level 2 Revell new X-wing looks pretty good. Not Bandai good, but still a lot better than that build and play kit pictured above.

Here is an interview with the GM of Revell discussing the kits. It's actually not a bad watch. Part 3 has the level 2 kits featured. X-wing looks to be about 1/48ish the TIE looks huge!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Chris

Part 3 also has the finemolds kits.

Chris

Perfectly stated!

Check out this awesome art print!

post-265-0-88380400-1441881826_thumb.jpg

Available here:

http://www.acmearchivesdirect.com/product/SWTFA461P/Incom-T-70-Tearin-It-Up.html?cid=

Gotta admit, I'm tempted.

Chris

You saw the fine example Revell put out against the Bandai right?!

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35122&p=1220991

I'm trying to stay positive and hope that the Level 2 kits coming in Oct will be pretty good. They look much better from these laughable first release kits from what I can see of them so far. Maybe not Bandai level, but with some TLC they might be able to make pretty nice kits. Though, they will be around 1/48 and not in scale with the bulk of Bandai's kits. :(

Chris

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Available here:

http://www.acmearchivesdirect.com/product/SWTFA461P/Incom-T-70-Tearin-It-Up.html?cid=

Chris

I'm trying to stay positive and hope that the Level 2 kits coming in Oct will be pretty good. They look much better from these laughable first release kits from what I can see of them so far. Maybe not Bandai level, but with some TLC they might be able to make pretty nice kits. Though, they will be around 1/48 and not in scale with the bulk of Bandai's kits. :(

Chris

Is there a version with the original X Wing?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Available here:

Chris

Chris

I 'borrowed' the hell out of this for my desktop background.

Gah, spoiler in that article. Not huge, but I now know something about Ep VII Luke I didn't before.

Grab some official Hi-Res TFA spaceship renders here:

http://imgur.com/a/lWptA

That Star Destroyer looks disappointingly "obviously CG". It's all about the textures---it's too smooth and shiny. What happened to all the practical model stuff they were going for?

They went with more practical props in the sets, but the days of motion controlled models for flight scenes are definitely gone. Up to a certain scale, models are still build sometimes for texture and lighting reference - and public events. Ironically, the Prequels are generally bashed for their use of CG, but I think we also witnessed the peak of FX model building there.

Regarding the Star Destroyer - is that a hammer-headed ship on some kind of launch rail at the inside of the bow?

Revell has some better kits coming out later that are more detailed and higher priced. Both from TFA and OT. There's a video presentation floating around out there where a Revell exec shows off all the kits. Apparently they got the Fine Molds kits and will be selling both the Falcon and X-Wing and TIE. There's a 1/48th TFA X-wing coming out that looks decent and is traditional glue together.

Revell has some better kits coming out later that are more detailed and higher priced. Both from TFA and OT. There's a video presentation floating around out there where a Revell exec shows off all the kits. Apparently they got the Fine Molds kits and will be selling both the Falcon and X-Wing and TIE. There's a 1/48th TFA X-wing coming out that looks decent and is traditional glue together.

Umm...no, the level 2 x-wing is also pre-painted and a snaptite kit. While agree that it does look better than the already released level one toy...it is still very soft on detail and is a bit disappointing considering what Bandai is offering.

Chris

Pictures of these kits can be found on the Revell Germany page:

http://www.revell.de/en/products/star-wars/star-wars-episode-vii.html

Let's say they're in the tradition of MPC's line of Star Wars kits.

Yeah... I think that's the best they can do :p (which isn't much...) I don't think I've built an American kit in 30yrs.

Sad thing is, from what I can see, the droid strip and Droid on the level 1 toy looks more detailed than the larger level 2 kit!! WTF Revell!! You get the overall shape better but then "phone it in" on the details. I also won't be surprised if it has the wobbly wings the old MPC kit had/has :(

Chris

Edited by Dobber