Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this X-Wing

Z-95. The Z-95 is probably the most famous "unofficial" SW starfighter, and is nigh-canon. (well, it's totally canon now I guess) It is the X-wing's predecessor.

::edit:: Wha?!?! Places are saying this IS an X-wing. Like, a ret-conned X-wing or something. Why would you do that, when the Z-95 is already pretty well-known among the fandom, and this looks exactly like it? That'd be like do a 3-winged TIE with bent panels, and saying it's NOT the TIE Defender.

Dare I say it, will "flaking paint" be the new "small hands"? :)

Well, the craft certainly looks like a Star Wars ship. Not exactly all that original, but at least it looks good. More than I can say for a lot of the prequel spacecraft.

More than I can say for a lot of the prequel spacecraft.

Different time period, different designs. And they slowly moved toward the original trilogy's design aesthetics. That's been mentioned almost too many times in the commentary.

Looks like an Ralph Mcquarrie X-wing at the same time it looks like a Z-95. Could be an X-Wing MK 2. If there's a time-skip, it's possible.

It's going to be so awesome when Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia, and everybody else go through a wormhole in the Falcon and find their younger, hipper, alternate universe selves and Episodes 7-9 are just retconned repeats of Episodes 4-6 with MORE LENS FLARE.

Maybe this'll mark me out as some kind of heretic, maybe it won't... but I think that design on the Twitter page is kinda cool lookin'.

I've been ignoring the news about the new Star Wars movie(s) until now, but this actually has me vaguely curious to see what they're doing. Well played, Mr. Abrams... well played indeed.

Also, I kinda liked the "weathered" look the Rebel aircraft had... having them look a little roughed-up made them feel more like something used by an outfit that wasn't overblessed with resources.

Maybe this'll mark me out as some kind of heretic, maybe it won't... but I think that design on the Twitter page is kinda cool lookin'.

I've been ignoring the news about the new Star Wars movie(s) until now, but this actually has me vaguely curious to see what they're doing. Well played, Mr. Abrams... well played indeed.

Also, I kinda liked the "weathered" look the Rebel aircraft had... having them look a little roughed-up made them feel more like something used by an outfit that wasn't overblessed with resources.

It doesn't make you a heretic, Seto; it puts you in with the majority.

It doesn't make you a heretic, Seto; it puts you in with the majority.

Duly noted. Like I said, I haven't really been paying attention to anything related to the new Star Wars flick... but that design's got my attention. Looks like a neat design, and I kinda like that "used future" look it's got going on. A little more streamlined than the old X-Wing, but not so much so that it ends up in "Raygun gothic" territory like the various Naboo craft out of the prequel trilogy. It still looks utilitarian and serviceable though, which is good. I didn't like how some of the prequel trilogy stuff looked like it had put looking cool ahead of being workable in a fight.

(Of course, I know the square root of bloody nothing about Star Wars, for the most part... my exposure to it consisting entirely of the six movies, the Thrawn trilogy of novels, and the old X-Wing vs TIE Fighter PC game, so my experience with SW designs is very limited.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I don't mind the design--it's just that that design has already been established in SW lore as another fairly well-known ship, specifically the Z-95. It'd be like making a new Transformers movie with a flame-deco red semi-truck who has blue legs in robot mode, and then say "oh no, that's not Optimus Prime---that's the new version of Bumblebee, 30 years later".

I don't mind the design--it's just that that design has already been established in SW lore as another fairly well-known ship, specifically the Z-95. It'd be like making a new Transformers movie with a flame-deco red semi-truck who has blue legs in robot mode, and then say "oh no, that's not Optimus Prime---that's the new version of Bumblebee, 30 years later".

Er... forgive me for saying so, especially since I am probably the last person who should be correcting anyone about anything that appears in Star Wars, but that craft in the video has four cannons and only two intakes (or four semicircular intakes). The art I've found for the Z-95 on the Star Wars wiki "Wookiepedia" shows the stock Z-95 as having two cannons and four circular intakes like the stock X-Wing from the original trilogy.

It looks a fair bit like this thing, which is apparently a very heavily modified custom Z-95, which seems to be derived from the same Ralph McQuarrie sketch as the craft in that YouTube video... the sketch in question was posted a few posts previous in that same Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/starwars/status/491274058323877888

(Of course, I know the square root of bloody nothing about Star Wars, for the most part... my exposure to it consisting entirely of the six movies, the Thrawn trilogy of novels, and the old X-Wing vs TIE Fighter PC game, so my experience with SW designs is very limited.)

Except for, maybe, the Rogue Squadron/Wraith Squadron novels, that's all you need. Z-95 was in the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter PC game though.

The Z-95's appearance isn't set in stone. The X-wing's is very well-defined. To those that know the Z-95 and/or what it's supposed/expected to look like---that was darn close to it. My "mental image" of the Z-95 is probably mostly based on its appearance in the PC games (TIE Fighter, etc). Heck, the TIE Fighter games WERE my "expanded universe" in that era. Didn't read any of the comics or novels or anything. My whole SW "canon" was pretty much the original trilogy, and the X-wing/TIE Fighter games...

It's going to be so awesome when Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia, and everybody else go through a wormhole in the Falcon and find their younger, hipper, alternate universe selves and Episodes 7-9 are just retconned repeats of Episodes 4-6 with MORE LENS FLARE.

^ :lol:

Not sure what I'm looking forward to more, the movies or the inevitable fan righteous indignation about them (not you hutch, I really do think your post is funny).

-b.

I'm just hoping that unlike Abrams Trek re-imagining where he left out "Old Kirk's" Video message to Pine-Kirk, we'll see a video where other reality old-white Luke tells young-black Luke that Vader is his father via a holomessage stored on other-reality R2.

Best part about this reality? It really is James Earl Jones in the suit.

I'm just hoping that unlike Abrams Trek re-imagining where he left out "Old Kirk's" Video message to Pine-Kirk, we'll see a video where other reality old-white Luke tells young-black Luke that Vader is his father via a holomessage stored on other-reality R2.

Best part about this reality? It really is James Earl Jones in the suit.

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

See above, that post was a continuation of the original tongue-in-cheek critique of Abrams and/or parody of what he did with another popular franchise.

So with this new/updated/whatever X-Wing supposedly heavy influence from works in the EU is it safe to assume that other elements might make their way into the movies? When I said that the filmmakers would take influence from EU it was met with a little skepticism (IIRC).

-b.

Yeah, I'm apparently in the Majority saying it's a cool looking upgrade, almost more realism (WW2 style center lifting gears.)
shorter nose, more refined engine intakes and dampeners. Plus a dirty, scratched up Rebellion look, which is what it should look like!

Have you seen the Tie's they're using in the Rebels show? With the more squat side panels? Most people think it's like the old Kenner Tie Fighters but McQuarries drawings of the Ties had much more squat side panels on them as well. It think they're hitting up his old designs for a lot of various things.

Question:

Would the rebels & empire still exist 30yrs after the 2nd Death Star was blown up?

Unlikely. This is arguably a more streamlined (and more advanced) version of the X-wing in use by a new Galactic Republic.

Question:

Would the rebels & empire still exist 30yrs after the 2nd Death Star was blown up?

Considering they threw out the EU, I don't think we can answer that question, legitimately.

Who's so naive to think the 2nd Death Stars destruction meant the end of the Empire?

It's just like any group, new leaders step in, and the pride keeps the elite still gunning for power.

Not to mention, technically speaking, there's always a Master, so Palpatines death, meant another's

Awakening.

Lucasfilm has a history of taking what the want from the EU and discarding the rest. That said, this thing is really close to the McQuarrie concept, and I'm assuming that's what it's based on.

Very true...and gotcha.

I also like this version of the X-Wing, as long as it's established in cannon that this is a different version (1.5 or 2.7 or whatever) and no one tries to ret-con and say that this was/is the definitive version of one of the most iconic space fighters in sci-fi history.

-b.