It was a far better movie than I expected. Watch it with your subtext-glasses on, you'll enjoy it.

Perhaps I'll give it a chance.

And if anything I'm optimistic that there is new creative energy behind the new films.

I'd really like to think that as well, but I've seen too much of Abrams work to throw in with him at this point. The man is a definite talent with a great eye for style, character and tension, but damn if this guy isn't a slave to his own influences. For every time he daringly strikes out on his own, just as often he is beholden to the works of his predecessors to such a degree his own work comes across as poor imitation. This new Star Wars film could as easily fall prey to the same traps that sabotaged "Star Trek Into Darkness" and "Super 8". I'm as happy as the next fan that Lucas is out, but IMO, Abrams comes with his own baggage. I just hope this coin toss is the good side :)

I don't know much about Domhnall Gleeson or Daisy Ridley.

If you haven't seen a series of Science Fiction short movies called 'Black Mirror' (2 series of 3 each) you should check them out immediately. They are around 45mins each and examine future trends through some fairly cool dramatic ideas.

Domnhall Gleeson was in one in particular where a woman lost her partner and was able to order - after much soul-searching - a biological android replacement for him as she couldn't get over his death, and new tech had become available. The android/bioroid (played by Gleeson) used all the social-media records, video, etc, to create a simulacrum of her dead lover. She was constantly fighting against her own revulsion and her love of her dead partner in interacting with the android. It was fantastic. And it wasn't even the best one...

If you haven't seen a series of Science Fiction short movies called 'Black Mirror' (2 series of 3 each) you should check them out immediately. They are around 45mins each and examine future trends through some fairly cool dramatic ideas.

Domnhall Gleeson was in one in particular where a woman lost her partner and was able to order - after much soul-searching - a biological android replacement for him as she couldn't get over his death, and new tech had become available. The android/bioroid (played by Gleeson) used all the social-media records, video, etc, to create a simulacrum of her dead lover. She was constantly fighting against her own revulsion and her love of her dead partner in interacting with the android. It was fantastic. And it wasn't even the best one...

That sounds like an awesome flick.

"Black Mirror" was a Channel 4 (U.K. broadcaster) production, and are probably best described as a series of what used to be called "teleplays"; they were written by Charlie Brooker, who is a well known T.V. personality here (mostly as a commentator on the media, particularly T.V. - imagine a very grumpy John Stewart and you're halfway there). I think theres been a second series of three since.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

It appears that Star Wars 7 production is being hidden under the name "AVCO." It's named after a prominent theater in LA that showed the original Star Wars back in '77. This is similar to how the production of Return of the Jedi used the title Blue Harvest to mask filming activities.

Edited by Duke Togo

Just a heads up: I won't be posting anything that I consider to be spoilerish, because I don't want to read any spoilers to begin with. There are set descriptions from what they've been working on in Abu Dhabi out there, along with further reports as to the nature of Harrison Ford's role in Episode 7 which I am simply not touching. If you do want to share this material, please post it in spoiler tags.

Fact is just about anyone could play the part of Wedge. I can understand the actor not wanting to do the role if it would take up a large chunk of his time (even if a cameo he might have needed to be on set just to show up in the background somewhere)

Great! Can't wait for the re-edited ROTJ where we will see Wedge's fiery death inside the second Death Star.......in 3D! :rolleyes:

I assume you're going to keep trying this "joke" until someone laughs? 2012 called, it wants it's Lucas jokes back.