It's not up to him anymore; it's up to Kathleen Kennedy and 20th Century Fox (who retain the distribution rights to the OT).

Does that mean I can buy someday a Blu-Ray set without all the changes and added scenes Lucas included after the theatrical release? I have the unaltered OT on VHS (those remastered tapes without the extra scenes that where added for the re-screening in forefront of the prequels). I would love to have those in 1080p.

On topic: yeah Abrams can screw it up but without any trailers images from the set or even glimpses of the script I cannot tell. I don't have a opinion on this topic. But I sure will have one after I watched the movies in the cinema. I'm sure they won't abandon the space opera concept and the Lightsaber fights so there is something to enjoy and look forward. ^_^

Hopefully there is a purple Lightsaber in the movies because I really want one of those FX saber replicas in purple. :)

Does that mean I can buy someday a Blu-Ray set without all the changes and added scenes Lucas included after the theatrical release? I have the unaltered OT on VHS (those remastered tapes without the extra scenes that where added for the re-screening in forefront of the prequels). I would love to have those in 1080p.

On topic: yeah Abrams can screw it up but without any trailers images from the set or even glimpses of the script I cannot tell. I don't have a opinion on this topic. But I sure will have one after I watched the movies in the cinema. I'm sure they won't abandon the space opera concept and the Lightsaber fights so there is something to enjoy and look forward. ^_^

Hopefully there is a purple Lightsaber in the movies because I really want one of those FX saber replicas in purple. :)

It's certainly possible that we'll see official releases of the GOUT. Until then, I highly recommend you check out Harmy's Despecialized Editions HD (Uber-fan Simon Pegg approved).

On the toptic of purple lightsabers, I own a Master Replica Mace Windu saber; I'm not a toy collector like a lot of the people here, but this was one I had to had.

Last time I heard the original reels of the untouched OT were to heavily eroded to be digitized.

Fox never conditioned the reels and that was the real reason why we can never get a BD of original

Theatrical cuts.

They restored the negative and digitized it.

That is awesome. I didn't know about that. Granted I'm not a uber-fan. I'm gonna buy the Blu-Ray set just so I can watch this version. ^_^

On topic. I'm sure the Star Trek reboot would resulted in different movies where they done by the team that is now making the new Star Wars trilogy.

Last month J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan took over as the writers of Star Wars: Episode VII, leaving original screenwriter Michael Arndt behind. Reports surfaced soon thereafter that Lucasfilm was struggling with Disney's mandated 2015 release date, and it appears making that deadline may have played a role. Deadline reports that J.J. Abrams addressed the change during a media call promoting the new Bad Robot television seriesAlmost Human.

"It became clear that given the timeframe, and given the process, and the way the thing was going that working with Larry in this way was going to get us where we need to be and when we needed to be," he's quoted as saying. Abrams described working with Kasdan on Star Wars as "kind of unbeatable," and given his pedigree it's no surprise: Kasdan's credits include such iconic movies as The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Big Chill — though more recent work like Dreamcatcher hasn't captured the same spark.

Abrams was quick to praise Arndt's contribution to the project, however, saying that "Working with Michael was a wonderful experience and I couldn't be a bigger fan of his or adore him more." It isn't out of the question that Arndt could contribute to another Star Wars movie down the line, he said — but with production on Episode VII scheduled to begin early next year there will be plenty of work to do before that question is tackled.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/7/5077706/j-j-abrams-reveals-reasons-behind-star-wars-writer-switch

So Michael Arndt couldn't churn out a working script for Episode 7 fast enough to start filming with. Talk about fast-tracking a movie. He might want to start Episode 8 and 9 now then if he works that slow.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/look-luke-star-wars-movie-characters-leaked-202650236.html

Thanks to a leaked Casting Call...I can now say as I link this picture...SPOILER ALERT!

Those aren't spoilers. When these open cast calls became public last week, it was widely reported that the information contained therein was not real. Essentially, those characters are placeholders.

Edited by Duke Togo

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/look-luke-star-wars-movie-characters-leaked-202650236.html

Thanks to a leaked Casting Call...I can now say as I link this picture...SPOILER ALERT!

Doubt it. The casting call descriptions don't sound like the characters in that image.

Unless they go in a completely different direction than what's already been established about those two.

Edited by Mog

I wonder if the music for the Intro will still be done in a way so that the classic Star Wars music will still flow, just like how it flows from the 20th Century Fox music to the classic SW music? or will they say FU to all of us and go something like Moonraker?

or... they still get some assistance from 20th Century Fox to allow them billing (and thus no disconnect in how the music is presented)?

Edited by TehPW

or... they still get some assistance from 20th Century Fox to allow them billing (and thus no disconnect in how the music is presented)?

No. They covered this a long time ago: no Fox fanfare; it's Disney to Lucasfilm to A Long Time Ago.

Well it'll be very hard without the fan fare. Imagine Tinkerbell flying around in the screen instead :wacko: .

It's also possible Disney will create a new intro specifically for Star Wars because they realize this too. It wouldn't be the first time they've created a new intro.

• 4 months later...

TheForce.net: Star Wars Episode VII Has Begun Filming, With Casting Almost Complete

I've been holding off posting any of the (strongly) rumored news in this thread because I figured we were so close to the start of filming what was the point? Well, we have some official news coming out, so I guess it's time to get back at it.

Preliminary shoots (officially confirmed) have been taking place for Episode VII (rumored to be in Iceland in Morocco), with principal photography to begin sometime in May (rumored to be May 14th). Casting is mostly done, but they still have a few more roles to decide upon yet (also officially confirmed).

Edited by Duke Togo

TheForce.net posted about this story being reported by TheNational.com. Supposedly, it features pictures of the filming going on in Abu Dhabi. Their conjecture as to what we are seeing in the pictures is totally off base, but any serious fan will likely recognize what it is we are actually looking at. It looks legit, but fair warning: minor spoilers may be contained within.

For those who still may be puzzled as to what exactly the object in the picture is:

It's the bottom of an AT-AT foot.

As I am going to be avoiding major spoilers as best as I can, I won't be posting any in this thread. But they are something to be aware of now that things are underway.