15 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the better film?

• Olympus Has Fallen
    • White House Down
    • None of the above

This year, we'll have not one but two films with the exact same premise: terrorists raiding the White House and holding the President hostage, and one guy going Die Hard to save the day.

First off, coming March 22 is Olympus Has Fallen, directed by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, King Arthur) and starring Gerard Butler (Leonidas in 300), Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent/Two-Face in The Dark Knight), Morgan Freeman (like nobody here knows who he is...), Rick Yune (Johnny Tran in The Fast and the Furious) and Ashley Judd (Charlene in Heat). In this film, a North Korean terrorist group led by Kang (Yune) takes over the White House and threatens to kill the President (Eckhart) if the government does not meet their demands. Secret Service Agent Mike Banning (Butler) goes on a one-man mission to take out all of the terrorists and save the President.

Then on June 28 is White House Down, directed by Roland Emmerich (Independence Day, Stargate), written by James Vanderbilt (The Amazing Spider-Man, The Rundown) and starring Channing Tatum (Magic Mike, Duke in G.I. Joe), Jamie Foxx (Ray, Django Unchained), Maggie Gyllenhaal (Rachel in The Dark Knight, Elizabeth in Donnie Darko) Jason Clarke (Dan in Zero Dark Thirty) and James Woods (Mike Toreno in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas). In this film, a paramilitary group led by Stenz (Clarke) takes over the White House and threatens to kill the President (Foxx) if the government does not meet their demands. Secret Service Agent John Cale (Tatum) goes on a one-man mission to take out all of the terrorists and save the President.

Of these two movies, which do you predict will be better? Edited by areaseven

one is a trailer, one is pictures? couldnt you put the actual trailer... or is there not a trailer out for the 2nd one? i dunno. im not cool with the 1st one's hero. he's much better as a bad guy. maybe we'll have a twist in the end and he's not quite a hero still...? the AC-130 is BS btw, the guns only face onside and the AC has to bank hard to make good use (prefect in the 1st Transformers movie)

Morgan freeman automatically makes any movie better, but seeing as how neither of these movies has Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman or a Boeing 747, there's absolutely no point in either of them.

Agreed. Freeman makes a movie better (even if he's the typecast as the same wise old black dude in every movie) and Channing Tatum makes every movie worse.

Jeebus, why have Tatum doing the John McClane when they could have hired Willis do it?

I think I'll wait for a trailer for White House Down to figure out which one I'd poop on more.

(The fact that 2 movies with identical plots come out in the same year makes me want to crawl into the corner and cower while repeating "Can't sleep. Hollywood really has no more ideas".)

Im tired of America pandering to the lowest common denominator. America is not great. !

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable

(The fact that 2 movies with identical plots come out in the same year makes me want to crawl into the corner and cower while repeating "Can't sleep. Hollywood really has no more ideas".)

It's not exactly a new phenomenon

Volcano (1997)/Dante's Peak (1997)

Armageddon (1998)/Deep Impact (1998)

Albeit a decade ago it was similar plots. Now it's identical plots. Maybe in another decade, the studios will combine their projects and come up with something actually worthwhile. Maybe.

Speaking of Deep Impact, Morgan Freeman was the President. Couldn't he reprise that role?

It's not exactly a new phenomenon

Volcano (1997)/Dante's Peak (1997)

Armageddon (1998)/Deep Impact (1998)

Albeit a decade ago it was similar plots. Now it's identical plots. Maybe in another decade, the studios will combine their projects and come up with something actually worthwhile. Maybe.

Speaking of Deep Impact, Morgan Freeman was the President. Couldn't he reprise that role?

Well, we also have Oblivion and After Earth this year. Though their plots are different, the premises are similar.

In Olympus Has Fallen, Morgan Freeman plays the Speaker of the House. When the White House is taken over, he becomes acting President throughout the rest of the film, so he's more or less reprising his role.

I am not planning on seeing either but I'll go with the Tatum one, cause it's now part of my GI Joe head canon that John Cale is Duke inserted into deep cover and the paramilitary organization is funded by Cobra, just like She's the Man is also in my head canon about Duke's college days (he's even CALLED Duke in that one if I'm not mistaken).

• 2 months later...

OMG.... they begged you to see it. intriging but not enough to shake that week ass 'please go see this film so we will get paid'....

• 2 months later...

Just watched Olympus Has Fallen, and yeah... there really isn't anything here you haven't seen before. So here's a checklist with spoilers (as no one here's gonna bother watching it):

• North Korean terrorists disguised as South Korean tourists: CHECK
  • Insanely high body count: CHECK
  • Cheesy CG effects to disguise the fact that film was not actually shot in Washington, D.C.: CHECK
  • Morgan Freeman as acting President for the whole duration of the film: CHECK
  • White House loaded with top-secret weaponry: CHECK
  • Terrorist's demand for U.S. military to pull out of Korean DMZ: CHECK
  • Terrorist tortures President and Cabinet into revealing access codes for all nuclear silos so they can self-destruct them and nuke the entire country: CHECK
  • Terrorist uses taekwondo to fight hero: CHECK
  • Terrorist shoots President: CHECK
  • Hero uses deactivation code within 10 seconds of self-destruction: CHECK

So if you're looking for a generic action flick, Olympus Has Fallen ranks high on the rental list. Otherwise, just watch the Die Hard movies again.

> Terrorist tortures President and Cabinet into revealing access codes for all nuclear silos so they can self-destruct them and nuke the entire country: CHECK

Unless they managed that within about 5 seconds it would not have done them a lick of good, I doubt it would have done any good within 5 seconds either. As soon as anyone knows that the president was kidnapped those codes would have been changed. Then again, why am I trying to apply logic to this I don't know...

Morgan freeman automatically makes any movie better, but seeing as how neither of these movies has Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman or a Boeing 747, there's absolutely no point in either of them.

And MiG-29s vs. F-15s.

I thought Gerard Butler was fairly entertaining in 'Olympus; that's all I have to say about that...

• 1 year later...