Custom 1/60 VF-4G Head Unit

Kurisama

38 members have voted

1. 1. Make the head-laser static or moveable?

I am still saddened that this arrived after I left. :(

At least I got to see and play with everything else!

Rogan-saaaaan - I just made this, it's not even printed yet, doesn't physically exist!!!

Perfect, Precise, and Pretty!!

Some minor comments:

1. Is it possible to come up with two design?

One contains 1) face, 2) head guns, and 3) head laser (for those who still want to use orginal head cover)

The other contains everything in the pictures.

2. Separate the circle laser so one can use transparent FUV to print it.

3. Make the inside of the face solid so the eye laser can tightly fit in.

4. Generate the plug part behind the face.

5. Possible to modify its ear? Slightly different with the SHE version.

Just let me know when it is in your shapeways store and I will buy some.

As you can see in the break-up of parts, the head guns are attached to the head cowl, they'd be too small by themselves. Although, you should be able to use the 'face' of this on the original, not sure how close it'll fit, but it'd be close, I imagine.

The eye piece is seperate so u can paint and gloss it up THEN glue it in.

What plug part behind the face do u mean?

I based the laser off the YF-21, but show me some good pics of the head laser, preferably from the side - I can see - but I'm pretty happy with this one.

- - - - - -

Please check out the finished shots and parts break-down below - currently uploading to shapeways and am toying with the idea of sending off a dozen or so to print;

post-1623-0-46790000-1359002027_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-93636800-1359002046_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-86620500-1359002066_thumb.jpg

Laser articulation range;

post-1623-0-42886100-1359002086_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-49787200-1359002105_thumb.jpg

Parts break-down;

post-1623-0-25147500-1359002125_thumb.jpg

Perfect design and please let us know once it is available!

The ear part of the commander head is shown in the picture below. Actually no too much difference. Seems two lights in each side.

The green circle light on the cap is detachable?

I prefer to use Frosted Detail Plastic to print the head to acheive non-sanding smoothness. Bro, kindly add this option.

Again, awesome work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

box_manual1.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys! Just to let you all know - I ordered 3 heads in different materials; WSF +polished, polished alumide and frosted detail. Let's see how it goes!

Xigfrid, I'd be open to the possibility of pre-painting - but it'd cost more, obviously. WSF + polished currently stands at approximately $15.

Alumide is grey, but with specs of shinyness, I think anyway it goes, nothing can be printed to match exactly your yammies.

Looking forward to the results. :) Depending on the shade, I might try the alumide. I'm not that picky about it matching perfectly, I just love seeing how things fit together. I'd probably just paint details by hand anyway.

Also, as far as the "ear" sensors are concerned, it's tough to change the overall shape of those since they have to mesh with the upper body of the valk in fighter mode. But it'd be easy enough to drill out the fronts and install some sensor lenses there.

What I'm really anxious to see is how the laser pivot works out. Looks like it's supported nicely, but I don't see how it'll be held in really, unless it's all by friction with the sides of the slot.

I'd let you paint my head Kurisama!

Hahaha!

Looking forward to the results. :)/> Depending on the shade, I might try the alumide. I'm not that picky about it matching perfectly, I just love seeing how things fit together. I'd probably just paint details by hand anyway.

Also, as far as the "ear" sensors are concerned, it's tough to change the overall shape of those since they have to mesh with the upper body of the valk in fighter mode. But it'd be easy enough to drill out the fronts and install some sensor lenses there.

What I'm really anxious to see is how the laser pivot works out. Looks like it's supported nicely, but I don't see how it'll be held in really, unless it's all by friction with the sides of the slot.

Bad news, the alumide was rejected, oh well.

As in the picture, the laser is supported on the bottom by the cup - there is also a near-identical support above, hidden in the cowl. It'll work by friction - any paint wearing should be hidden inside the cowl. The whole thing wont fit snug 100%, but it will be close. Fingers crossed!

I'm seriously considering getting one of these because the head it comes with just looks so dull and plain. As someone else said, it looks more like a balding head with a receding hairline.

My only real concern with getting this custom head is finding an exact paint color match to make it look the same as the rest of the valk. If anyone has found a color match, please say so here.

I actually just got back from my local hobby shop looking to colour match - no luck. I compared it to my tamiya primer, its a shade off, its darker. I've seen tamiya primer in a light grey, maybe that'll match. The guy at the store said I could try Mr. surfacer.

I myself am going to go with the slightly darker primer with metallic accents like in my renders, maybe it'll be a good contrast.

I've already masked my canards/fins/v-stabs to paint in a dull metallic grey - and sprayed my wing's and v-stab's flaps white. Not sure if I should paint my main wing's leading edges metallic grey...

Didn't someone who built another custom head in the VF-4 thread say they used Mr.COLOR 338 LIGHT GRAY FS36495? How does that shade compare?

Ah, yeah. lorn_13 said it didn't match either. I think we may end up have to mix our own colors and try to match it as closely as possible.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Good grief that's awesome! So much more "presence" than the 'G' head the toy has as default.

That's a remarkably good fit for a first go-around -- aside from 3D-scanning the toy's head to use as base reference to modify and/or build atop, I don't think you could get any closer with just calipers and MK1 eyeballs; but, to the perfectionists in all of us, will you be making any adjustments to make it perfect before making the custom head (what should we call it, a VF-4S?) available for order on Shapeways?

I bow to your modelling skilz...

Such an aggressive look! This head is a must have upgrade for our VF-4G !

Totes - I can't stop looking at it - but it seems to me, that its a tad small for the body - but thats the proportions it has to be! Keep in mind I had to cut a small wedge out of the interior support piece that covers the forehead in fighter mode, pics soon - nothing too severe.

Good grief that's awesome! So much more "presence" than the 'G' head the toy has as default.

That's a remarkably good fit for a first go-around -- aside from 3D-scanning the toy's head to use as base reference to modify and/or build atop, I don't think you could get any closer with just calipers and MK1 eyeballs; but, to the perfectionists in all of us, will you be making any adjustments to make it perfect before making the custom head (what should we call it, a VF-4S?) available for order on Shapeways?

I bow to your modelling skilz...

Thanks dude! I wish I had a 3D scanner :D

I made a slight mod to the interior, should be sweet now - you can find it for sale here;

http://shpws.me/nhRH

Enjoy my friends, and post pics! And pimp my wares :p

(in Vader voice): Impressive.. most impressive. :lol:

Looks awesome. Yeah, probably about time I ordered this and grabbed that VF-0D set finally. Do your parts work interchangeably with the originals? I'm wondering if I could mix and match your faceplate with the original head cover to simplify the matching process.

Curious though, what's causing the head to pop up in the rear some? Looks like excess plastic is hanging down under the cover in one pic. Not a big deal, I'm just picky about keeping things streamlined. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Bought. can't wait to put this on my bird.

Thanks

Kurisama if you ever think you could make a left leg slid cover let me know. It's a real bummer missing that part. :(

I haven't really looked into pulling the leg apart - depending on the difficulty of pulling it apart, it is definitely a possibility.

(in Vader voice): Impressive.. most impressive. :lol:

Looks awesome. Yeah, probably about time I ordered this and grabbed that VF-0D set finally. Do your parts work interchangeably with the originals? I'm wondering if I could mix and match your faceplate with the original head cover to simplify the matching process.

Curious though, what's causing the head to pop up in the rear some? Looks like excess plastic is hanging down under the cover in one pic. Not a big deal, I'm just picky about keeping things streamlined. ^_^

The face plate isn't interchangeable - the forks are set wider apart to allow the antennae to have support. You could chop it off I guess and glue it?

What's causing the head to pop up is a few thing; 1- Is that its not secured/screwed into place and 2- looks to have the slightest of curves, which could be the result of the printing process - its not perfect, but its a snug fit.