Vf-0 vs SV-51

Archer

Sorry if this is the wrong forum area for this thread.

I have the opportunity to buy either a VF-0S reissue or SV-51 for the same price. I like both equally in terms of design, so thoses who own both, which is the better toy?

Which is more durable, better designed, etc. This is the reissue VF-0S, not the first issue...

Thanks guys

Edit: it's the mass production SV-51

Edited by Archer

Errrgh - yep, both good choices. Wings can be a little flimsy on the 51 and both suffer from loosening joints. Both are definitely not the same in terms of engineering and tightness tolerances of the newer valks - but both are gorgeous :D

You know.., I really want a CF 51...

Sorry to disappoint, but neither, keep your money. The SV51 has a gorgeous fighter mode but transformation all around is flimsy, almost all parts rely on friction in battroid with no locking mechanisms and the wings, if not loose out of the box, will get loose sooner or later.

VF0S is the most stable of the two, but it's horribly outdated compare to the newer VF1 v2. Ankle joints can't really support battroid mode's weight after a while, it can't hold the gunpod nearly at all and for some reason, after some transformations, the cockpit\nose section starts to droop down in fighter mode.

The designer of both has said he wants to tackle them again, so perhaps it'd be wiser to wait for it...

I have the Nora and the CF SV-51 and the VF-0S and 0A. My 0's are first edition though.

On looks, I prefer the CF SV-51. The light brown is a very nice shade and with the black parts it gets a great contrast that helps to show more the details of the SV-51. The Nora is a bit busy in that regard and the Ivanov is too dark. If you can only have one Geerwalk, the bird of prey in full attack of the SV-51 is the best twist to the classic mode.

The 0S looks fantastic too BUT it is has an outdated engineering and the basics of the transformation itself has been done to death. The SV-51 is more unique in that regard.

On durability, I’ll just say that my Nora has been in full attack Geerwalk mode with all the missiles and the Fast Packs for years and the wings still hold their pose perfectly even with all the weight.

Fighter mode goes to the 0 in my book because it is an excellent upgrade to the VF-1. The SV-51 while unique looking, didn’t nail it as much as the 0 does.

The spiky parts on the SV-51 tend to latch onto clothes when transforming so one has to be careful when doing it so as not to break anything.

I had bought an SV-51 Ivanov and it was fine up to Gerwalk (i didn't go to Battroid). The wings were a bit floppy but i'm not sure if this was something that was addressed, or even how it could have been addressed because the parts that were holding them up in position were really small and didn't lock in any way, they just slided. However the fighter mode is Gorgeous. Yamato SV-51 "Ivanov"

Edited by Dimis

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm leaning toward the VF-0S, as it was the first valk i saw in action. I just have one more question. Is it true that to get a decent gerwalk on the VF-0S, you need to detach the legs and just leave the body lying on top?

Thanks again guys!

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm leaning toward the VF-0S, as it was the first valk i saw in action. I just have one more question. Is it true that to get a decent gerwalk on the VF-0S, you need to detach the legs and just leave the body lying on top?

Thanks again guys!

not true about GERWALK at all.

post-19-0-00453400-1358792467_thumb.jpg

Thanks again guys!

In case no one has already mentioned it, just be aware that while in plane mode the gun stowed doesn't have any clearance when the landing gear are deployed. The gun just sits on the ground. A minor quibble.

I own an 0S and an Ivanov SV-51... bought both used, and while I LOVE the look of them, every time I get the urge to want to handle the valks I have to prep myself with some meditation since I know stuff will be flying off left and right, flopping around, etc. The wings on my SV-51 will not hold their "up" position at all when fully loaded; tried super glue to thicken them up... no help. And as far as the 0S in Gerwalk, it's not that you need to have the intakes disconnected in that mode, they will just always want to disconnect on their own whenever you handle it in that mode. Ultimately, I ended up putting bits of quakehold putty on the 0S to make it hold together a lot better. Right now, they both pretty much stay in fighter mode in my display and look great; just prepare for a frustrating "play" experience whenever you take one out.

Personally I think the sv-51 is better. Its boosters are better looking than the vf-o ghost booster and make it look sleek. But that is what makes the good guys seem all that more extreme for being able to win against it.

I think if macross were real life I would join up with the anti UN. If only they had reactive armor for sv-51 to take on the vf-0. The bad guys always miss out..

In case no one has already mentioned it, just be aware that while in plane mode the gun stowed doesn't have any clearance when the landing gear are deployed. The gun just sits on the ground. A minor quibble.

The gunpods on my VF-0S and A have about 2.5mm of ground clearance. You just need to make sure the handle is retracted all the way.

Depending on the price save some more cash and buy something else instead, like a VF-4 (which appears to be selling for more than MSRP, hence the save more money suggestion).

The 0S is a good looking bird on paper but reissue or not I'd wait for Yamato to revisit the design before I bought another (had two, sold them both). Never owned a SV as I prefer "hero" Valks but after reading the responses here I'm glad I decided to skip it.

But IF you must have one, get the 0S. Hero Valks FTW.

My .02

-b.

I have all of them, SV-51γ Ivanov ,SV-51γ Nora, SV-51α CF. I also have both of the reissue VF-0's with ghost combo packs and the Unknown soldier edition reissue. They are really nice for display only really. If you are OK with primarily just displaying them then I think they are fine, but if you want playability look elsewhere. For some reason though out of the SV-51's my Ivanov is a lot tighter than the other 2 and is less annoying. Oh one more thing. If you prefer getting the SV-51 for fighter display, make sure you have plenty of space. the wing span on that one is huge. I actually think those may be the biggest valks in my collection besides armored VF-25's in armor displayed in fighter mode. The VF-0 with ghost in batteroid mode can be a bit annoying also, because you get limited range on the arms because all the junk causes the rear of the forearm to just back limiting the arm poses.

Depending on the price save some more cash and buy something else instead, like a VF-4 (which appears to be selling for more than MSRP, hence the save more money suggestion).

The 0S is a good looking bird on paper but reissue or not I'd wait for Yamato to revisit the design before I bought another (had two, sold them both). Never owned a SV as I prefer "hero" Valks but after reading the responses here I'm glad I decided to skip it.

But IF you must have one, get the 0S. Hero Valks FTW.

My .02

-b.

LOL I bought the 51's just to break up the monotony. I wish we had more enemy options available.

Edited by Loop

I'd say get the SV-51.

Hold off on the Zero.

Graham

Is this some kind of hint Graham, or am I just reading into this too much. But yes, now you guys have swayed me into the -51. I'd rather not blow money and have the zero be re-released with modern standards.

Hope I'm making the right choice!

Is this some kind of hint Graham, or am I just reading into this too much. But yes, now you guys have swayed me into the -51. I'd rather not blow money and have the zero be re-released with modern standards.

Hope I'm making the right choice!

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Hope there is a renewal of both designs... really want a working Ivanov. :(