Well, she WAS originally drawn in outfits that are closer to Stand Alone Complex. Apart from the times when she took everything off for all that lesbian cyber sex of course.

As far as the new outfit is concerned, I think it will make for an interesting change and dont have a problem with it... apart from the fact that any figures will be less interesting and its no-where near as good as the old one when it comes to cosplayers...well...looking at cosplayers....or something like that ^^;

I'm always going to prefer Shirow's lead female character design. The funny thing about them though is that, to me, the less skin you see, the hotter the they are.

post-151-0-75596300-1359687688_thumb.jpg post-151-0-52702900-1359687712_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-72045400-1359687695_thumb.jpg post-151-0-19545300-1359687729_thumb.jpg

But then again Mila Jovovich as Joan Of Ark looked hot in armor... what's wrong with me? :lol:

post-151-0-41506800-1359687867_thumb.jpg

Joan of Ark in full armor is hardly a realistic portrayal of women in general, specially for her time period, since she was a very unique case; there may be other examples, but, in general, a woman of her era depicted as a 15th century French peasant or wench would be far more accurate.

As for Major Kusanagi, I like the way she's drawn in the SAC and beyond, with her look in SSS the best... although I find SAC's getup to be the most visually entertaining. Her new ('old'?) look for Arise is fine too, but far less sexy based on the single image we've seen.

As dated as it is, I still prefer The Major from Mamoru Oshii's first GitS movie. She looks much more realistic and believable as a member of an elite government agency. The outfits from the first season of SAC are undoubtedly sexy, but they look a little ridiculous, to be honest. The ones from 2nd Gig are much better.

Joan of Ark in full armor is hardly a realistic portrayal of women in general, specially for her time period, since she was a very unique case; there may be other examples, but, in general, a woman of her era depicted as a 15th century French peasant or wench would be far more accurate.

Yerm, I meant more in the sense of "not stripping down to the underwear to do stuff that any sane person would want to wear the appropriate gear for".

Historical (in)accuracy kinda fits into that - as in: she's not in her loin cloth while swinging her sword, right?

I'm always going to prefer Shirow's lead female character design. The funny thing about them though is that, to me, the less skin you see, the hotter the they are.

attachicon.gifurl.jpg

Does anyone have any information about the 1000 Editions version of this Motoko image? I thought that there were only 1000 editions printed but I think it's the company name. I have this one and I vaguely remember two other prints. I need to get another copy as mine was framed incorrectly by a fly by night framer.

Edit - For some reason the image isn't showing up in the quote. You have to click it.

Edited by JetJockey

Excellent news. I've read more than once that the GITS franchise as whole is more popular overseas than in Japan and this kind of bilingual event does seem to point to that.

Excellent news. I've read more than once that the GITS franchise as whole is more popular overseas than in Japan and this kind of bilingual event does seem to point to that.

I've heard the same being said about GUNNM aka Battle Angel Alita. Apparently, GUNNM was geared towards a more mature "salaryman" manga audience, which is obviously a more niche market in Japan compared to the teenage manga/anime market. I wonder if it's the same case with GitS.

Technically in the manga she was a "cyber-ho". At least it was her part time job anyway.

Actually if I remember right some of those scenes (particularly the lesbo boat scene) didn't actually happen and weren't real. It was just Batou's interpretation. There was even a paragraph explaining the situation IIRC, at least there was for that scene anyway.

Actually if I remember right some of those scenes (particularly the lesbo boat scene) didn't actually happen and weren't real. It was just Batou's interpretation. There was even a paragraph explaining the situation IIRC, at least there was for that scene anyway.

Really? The only thing I remember was an explanation that Masamune made up this BS about "genital incompatibility" (Batou experiencing pain in his dick because his male brain couldn't process the neural signals being relayed by The Major's...you know) because he didn't want to draw some guy's ass.

Technically in the manga she was a "cyber-ho". At least it was her part time job anyway.

Strictly girl-girl, at any rate. See above for explanation.

BTW, was that particular scene taken out of the US version or something?

Like GU-11 said, she had cybersex and got paid for it. That's a "cyber-ho" in my book.

BTW, was that particular scene taken out of the US version or something?

The original english release had the panel removed, I have the second release that was left uncensored. Edited by renegadeleader1

No one will take away my boat scene and dismiss it as an interpretation! :D

Really? The only thing I remember was an explanation that Masamune made up this BS about "genital incompatibility" (Batou experiencing pain in his dick because his male brain couldn't process the neural signals being relayed by The Major's...you know) because he didn't want to draw some guy's ass.

Here is Shirow's explanation of the boat scene:

056a_zpsf3684b8f.jpg

Just came out if the announcement event and....So, the entire cast of Ghost in the Shell has been recast for the prequel. Maaya Sakamoto as the Major I can understand but why recast everyone else?!?!?

Edit: details- http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-12/ghost-in-the-shell/arise-anime-details-outlined

Edited by Tochiro

Just came out if the announcement event and....So, the entire cast of Ghost in the Shell has been recast for the prequel. Maaya Sakamoto as the Major I can understand but why recast everyone else?!?!?

Because it's probably easier than trying to recall old cast members who may have conflicting schedules.

Because it's probably easier than trying to recall old cast members who may have conflicting schedules.

Both Togusa and Batou's seeiyus are in constant demand so that might have something to do with it.

Not likely given what was said at the event.

Firstly, the project has been in production since 2010, so there was plenty of time to get the VAs lined up (besides the fact that, with the exception of changing Aramaki's VA for SAC, the same cast has never changed, not even for the PS1, PS2 or PSP games). A few people in the audience were laughing outright at a couple of the casting choices which is never a good sign (not to mention unusual here).

Secondly, Ishikawa kept stressing during the presentation that GitS was considered Production IG's 'ultimate weapon' and that this would be the fourth iteration of the IP: (1)manga/Shirow, (2)Movies/Oshii, (3)TV/Kamiyama, (4)ARISE. As such, he wanted it to be something new and said therefore the characters were recast. As I said previously, Maaya makes sense in the context of her previous work, but the recasting of everyone else was basically done because of the direction IG wants to take the OVA in.

Granted, he could just be talking out of his ass, but given the time lead involved and the fact that there hasnt been a single GitS product that the original cast havent voiced to date, this seems like a calculated decision rather than a scheduling issue.

Regarding the Majors character design, it was mentioned that they went back to the movie designs and then worked out the younger version from there.

But more importantly - THERMOPTIC CAMOUFLAGE!

post-9325-0-76467800-1361332112_thumb.jpg

Also, press kits! :-)

post-9325-0-64792900-1361332124_thumb.jpg

Is it just me, or does Togusa just look not quite young enough compared with the rest of them?

Also, while the Japanese voices are changing, any word on whether they'll keep the English cast the same? I don't know if they're in quite the same demand as the Japanese cast, but some of them are pretty prolific on the voice acting circuit as well.

Is it just me, or does Togusa just look not quite young enough compared with the rest of them?

Also, while the Japanese voices are changing, any word on whether they'll keep the English cast the same? I don't know if they're in quite the same demand as the Japanese cast, but some of them are pretty prolific on the voice acting circuit as well.

As long as they don't get Elizabeth Berkely to do it. She was horrid in Armitage III; nearly ruined the anime for me.

As for the cast's more youthful apprearance, I really don't see the relevance of age in a cyborg, past 18. Basically, cyborg with an adult brain can live his/her life in a body with a 20-year-old appearance. The difference of a decade or so doesn't matter in the least.

That said, I guess they had to do it to present a clearcut difference between SAC and Arise to the audience.