Text Based Macross Game

Xeero

Hopefully this is the right section to be dumping this, seemed the most appropriate though!

Decided to finally get around to plugging a project I've been running for some time now, namely a Macross themed MUSH titled Macross: New Horizon

For those that are unfamiliar a MUSH is essentially a real-time variant of forum based role-play / text based tabletop that's accessed via a client software. Unlike forum or tabletop roleplay, however, MUSHes tend to be a much more persistent story allowing for a broader range of development to go on.

The game itself centers around a spin-off colony fleet in what's now 2054 (was 2051 back when we opened in 2010). The game's timeline is slightly diverged from Macross canon in that the NUN transition hasn't occurred just yet and the coup from VF-X2 has yet to occur. Still we hold to the spirit of Macross with the added bonus that players are not strictly confined to the UN Spacy. New players can also start in one of two Anti-UN cells and from there they can branch out with additional characters to anything from civilians to mercenaries to pirates.

The game is very much a community effort with roleplay being able to be run by dedicated GMs or by interested players. We've also had some Macross World members provide some very much appreciated contributions including a constantly growing wealth of information provided by Seto Kaiba (who is also an active player) and some incredible original artwork provided by Flaming Gauntlet!

If anyone would like to check it out and find out more about the setting, peruse logs of previous events, or even better: connect to the game(!) you can check us out at http://www.macrossnewhorizon.org

Looking forwards to seeing you there!

Hehe honestly the easiest way would be to poke about the website. There's links provided to free versions of the client software needed to connect to it along with the majority of the theme, systems and rules explained. Besides that can always PM me on here or simply connect to the game and chat with us at any time (most folks are available from about 7pm eastern and onwards). :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bah I should've set this to e-mail me when there's replies. The game's up and running 24/7 (even if some folks aren't logged in all the time). The website listed above has all the info to connect, but the short version is you need a client program to connect like MUSH client ( http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/ ). The game's address is macross.genesismuds.com port 2050. Plug those two in and you can connect as a guest and chat with folks while you sort out the character you want to make :)

Well we've got some OC VF designs that are starting to trickle in. As for canon designs they get statted out as they become played on the game. Or in the case of a couple players when they have a particular interest in the VF sometimes they'll do up stats and clear them by the admin to add them to the website. :)

Well we've got some OC VF designs that are starting to trickle in. As for canon designs they get statted out as they become played on the game. Or in the case of a couple players when they have a particular interest in the VF sometimes they'll do up stats and clear them by the admin to add them to the website. :)

Okay, cool. I think the YF-36 especially looks pretty especially. And EX-Gear upgraded variants of old variable fighters is always a welcome sight. Quick question though: while the YF-24 family wouldn't have been created yet chronologically, would the YF-24 itself be an acceptable prototype tier valkyrie considering that at least the prototype would be operational by 2054 (it would probably have that ugly dorsal bulge because of its inefficient ISC, but whatever)? Especially since its what helped perfect EX-Gear and ISC.

Last, I know its kind of a crass question for a newly starting MUSH, but how many players do you have so far?

Edited by TyrValein

Hehe well bringing out the YF-24 has been something talked about off and on. The way we're tackling it is the only stuff being taken as gospel is what's explicitly shown in animation. We made the choice for a variety of reasons, among them was making it easier to decide when some changeovers happen (The '171 becoming the mainstay fighter, the UNS swapping to the NUNS, etc.). Obviously the aim is to keep things in the ballpark of all the canon materials but in the end we're more concerned with making things flexible for RP fodder while maintaining the actual feel of a Macross series.

Playerbase fluctuates to be honest. We're coming off the holiday season which always seems to murder our numbers and then they start to trickle back over the spring. We've had anywhere from 4-ish people active in scenes all the way up to a dozen at a time. :)

Hehe well bringing out the YF-24 has been something talked about off and on. The way we're tackling it is the only stuff being taken as gospel is what's explicitly shown in animation. We made the choice for a variety of reasons, among them was making it easier to decide when some changeovers happen (The '171 becoming the mainstay fighter, the UNS swapping to the NUNS, etc.). Obviously the aim is to keep things in the ballpark of all the canon materials but in the end we're more concerned with making things flexible for RP fodder while maintaining the actual feel of a Macross series.

Playerbase fluctuates to be honest. We're coming off the holiday season which always seems to murder our numbers and then they start to trickle back over the spring. We've had anywhere from 4-ish people active in scenes all the way up to a dozen at a time. :)

Alright. Thanks for the information. I'm going through all your material now and it seems kinda complicated (coming from a person who's never played a MUSH before). I have both university and work at the moment, so I'm a little busy, but I'm definitely interested. I'll see what I can do to try and learn how to play.

It's not too bad once you get used to it. It'll also be getting easier as a lot of the combat related stuff will be automated as more of the code gets finished. Regardless we're always willing to help folks out so the focus can be more on playing than sorting out how to make it work :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...