Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Tochiro

The animation looks luscious. The synopsis has shades of Waterworld in it, right down to the salvaging of relics from the sea floor... I'm almost positive the anime will handle the premise far better than that sorry excuse of a Kevin Costner ego trip.

The script and series composition are by Gen Urobuchi who wrote Requiem for the Phantom, Fate Zero, Madoka and Psycho-Pass amongst others. I'm definitely excited about this one.

Is the name "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet" an official english name by the studio? Or a translation? I didn't even know what 'verdurous' was until I looked it up.

The script and series composition are by Gen Urobuchi who wrote Requiem for the Phantom, Fate Zero, Madoka and Psycho-Pass amongst others. I'm definitely excited about this one.

Is the name "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet" an official english name by the studio? Or a translation? I didn't even know what 'verdurous' was until I looked it up.

It's the official name.

Me, I'd call it "Gargantia of the Green Planet," but they didn't ask me.

• 1 month later...

Urobochi... Those poor, poor characters...

• 1 month later...

I totally loved the first episode! The main characters mecha looks a lot better in the animation than it does as the toy that was shown. The aliens from the beginning battle reminded me a lot of the space monsters from Gunbuster.

Really liked it too. I thought the colors used throughout the art were amazing.

The colony ships where the Gallactic Alliance lived vaguely reminded me of the Macross Frontier convoy ships too.

Guess somebody leaked the second episode from that special BD. Holy shades of War of the Worlds, Batman! And even though I'm guessing that Ledo is going to end up with that Amy girl (who seems to be channeling Ranka, Mao and Mylene all at once) I'm digging that ginger Bellows. I hope that's her last name. :D

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

WooT! Time for ep.3. Lets see what the fallout from last episodes 'battle' is... :-)

EDIT: Wait a sec... the tv broadcast hasnt caught up to the promotional BDs yet... looks like episode 3 isnt until next week. :-( Oh well, at least they aired some Macross Plus commercials :-)

Edited by Tochiro

The story has some similarities with Orguss doesn't it? Pilot engaged in a war with a powerful foe gets transported to another "dimension/planet" where he meets a bunch of nomads and has to travel/fight with them as well as deal with serious cultural differences.

I liked how the second episode ended. I think Red is going to find that

that the Terrans are going to be terrified of him instead of being grateful for his intervention against those pirates. That lethal display of power by his mecha might backfire on him.

The story has some similarities with Orguss doesn't it? Pilot engaged in a war with a powerful foe gets transported to another "dimension/planet" where he meets a bunch of nomads and has to travel/fight with them as well as deal with serious cultural differences.

Kei was much nicer and not ridiculously overpowered though...

Oh crap, this might be a subversion to those kind of shows.

Just saw the second episode. At first I thought this was going to devolve into a talking series, but then the scenery visuals started showing off (and they were amazing to say the least), kind of like Vivi Dred with a bigger budget. I haven't seen scenery visuals this good in a TV series since Heroic Age (although Aquarion Evol came close even though it has the best CGI in an anime to date). And then, just when I thought there would be nothing else I could get from this series, PIRATES. THEY THREW IN PIRATES. WITH JETSKIS AND KITES. HOW IS THIS NOT AWESOME? First you have mechs. Then it is given the Starship Troopers treatment. Then we have space nautiluses (I will admit that Hidiaazu is a weird name for them). Then amazing settings. AND NOW PIRATES! All that with a first episode that was genuinely solid! Not bad, okay, tolerable, meh, horrendous, goofy, kind of good, ectetra, I mean genuinely SOLID. That is so rare! Plus it is creative in it's own right (I have never seen beam weapons go through glass while unharming it and it manages to vaporize a target).

I'd call this anime perfect so far but NOOOOOOOOO, it just had to have bad opening and ending themes! The opening theme is worse since it sounds so similar to the opening theme of Goldran to the point I actually got curious to see if it had the same singer/main human character voice actress. It does not, but that did not make it any less bad. I hope it does not end up like Diebuster, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Gundam 00, or Heroic Age where it starts getting less and less interesting but it looks so pretty that you have no choice but to give it a 10/10 because of it; fortunately it is only 12 episodes so maybe that won't happen. I mean MECHA WITH PIRATES. Also a minor complaint I have, more of a nitpick really, why do the women have abnormally rosy cheeks? Vivi Dred had the same issue and I'm amazed nobody else has brought it up. It just seems ugly and creepy.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Well, ep.3 was interesting but nowhere near as shocking as ep.2. The pirates have a lot of ships apparently.

Also - BREASTS!

Those are some extremely well armed pirates all in all.

I liked the first two episodes well enough but I thought ep 3 was horrible.

let's kill the boy and steal his mech!

killing people is wrong, don't kill those people who were going to gang rape our crew members!
let's give the boy to the pirates so they can kill him
help us kill the pirates!
Remember, don't kill the pirates though, killing is wrong!
yay, that boy helped us kill all those pirates!

It wasn't a moral issue, but a diplomatic one. It wasn't so much that killing was wrong (they had no problem using deadly force to try and repel the pirates), but they were afraid of the retaliation from the much larger pirate force (which was in fact correct). I think they had been, up to that point, putting up with small depredations from the pirates in order to avoid annihilation. They don't really comprehend the kid's Clarke-ian level of technology advantage over themselves.

It wasn't a moral issue, but a diplomatic one. It wasn't so much that killing was wrong (they had no problem using deadly force to try and repel the pirates), but they were afraid of the retaliation from the much larger pirate force (which was in fact correct). I think they had been, up to that point, putting up with small depredations from the pirates in order to avoid annihilation. They don't really comprehend the kid's Clarke-ian level of technology advantage over themselves.

That might have made sense if they hadn't told him specifically not to kill him and then showed him trying really hard not to kill people. If it was just diplomatic faux pas, then once the pirates attacked in force, they should have left him off the chain and just had at it. But no, instead we had him fooling around while everyone else around him tried their best to kill one another in the most inefficient way possible.

Really, it's just sloppy writing. They made him way too powerful in comparison to the pirates and everyone else and had to invent some arbitrary plot device for why he couldn't just zoom around and kill everyone.

That might have made sense if they hadn't told him specifically not to kill him and then showed him trying really hard not to kill people. If it was just diplomatic faux pas, then once the pirates attacked in force, they should have left him off the chain and just had at it. But no, instead we had him fooling around while everyone else around him tried their best to kill one another in the most inefficient way possible.

Really, it's just sloppy writing. They made him way too powerful in comparison to the pirates and everyone else and had to invent some arbitrary plot device for why he couldn't just zoom around and kill everyone.

I thought it was implied in episode 1 that Ledo comes from a very totalian society where morality like what the Earthlings have really doesn't matter as much to them. The Alliance is in a genecidal war with the Hideauze, remember? He also lacks a lot of social and diplomatic skills for his own good in the situation he is in. As a soldier he was probably conditioned that way to keep him in a military mindset. At least that's what I got from his conversation with Bellows.

I dont have a problem with the way ledo is being portrayed but the way earthling morality is.

At first they're willing to kill a kid to steal his mech. Then bellows goes on about how it's wrong to kill without justification. And thus, gang rape isn't justification but simple theft is. Then she goes to describe how you have to maintain weakness in order to not provoke the pirates. Then they consider giving ledo to the pirates but only reconsider when they decide that wouldnt be enough. Then they decide to fight the pirates but don't want ledo to kill but will happily kill pirates themselves.

• 2 weeks later...