Flashback 2012 Megaroad 01 Poster Recreation

Mercurial Morpheus

Seeing as it's the end of 2012, I wanted a Megaroad cover on my Facebook. Going through what was on Google, I happened to find a nice lineart version of the ship and decided to use it to recreate the poster instead of using the low quality screencaps for the fun of it. The whole thing is comprised of web found images (the starfield and earth being three separate images). I tried to get it as close as possible without going crazy over minutia. Thought I'd share it here for anyone interested. I'm no master photo editor, but I've made a few sigs from time to time.

post-1202-0-65897200-1356959332_thumb.png

The fonts are as close as I could find. The bottom white text is missing since I just can't make out what most of it says (outside of the last line, being another bit taken from the crawl of Star Wars). If anyone can clear that up, I'd be most appreciative.

Here's one without the obvious Star Wars reference:

post-1202-0-67703400-1356959341_thumb.png.mkv_snapshot_26.17_[2012.12.31_01.55.53] V2.png]

Here's one using the original Earth I started with. I replaced it with the current since it's closer to what is in the film.

post-1202-0-78866000-1356959347_thumb.png

The original

post-1202-0-51537900-1356960138_thumb.jpg.mkv_snapshot_26.17_[2012.12.31_01.55.53].jpg]

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Hey, it's my Megaroad coloring :) Well done! You've done a really great job. I especially like how you got the starfield in the background to be transparent through the "glass" sections of the line art. Brilliant work!

BTW, If you want a larger version of my Megaroad colored art for a big, high-res version, just let me know and I'll send you the file. Again, great work!

Edited by Mr March

Hey, it's my Megaroad coloring :) Well done! You've done a really great job. I especially like how you got the starfield in the background to be transparent through the "glass" sections of the line art. Brilliant work!

BTW, If you want a larger version of my Megaroad colored art for a big, high-res version, just let me know and I'll send you the file. Again, great work!

That turned out to be pretty simply to do, but i agree it really helps blend her in. Send it my way. I'll see if maybe I can make a wallpaper or something out of it. No promises though. ^_- I sort of debating whether to colorize the city to match the image too.

I NEVER NOTICED THE STAR WARS TITLE CRAWL TEXT BEFORE! Also, why am I caps popping and locking here?

Most of the rips out there are so blurred and oversaturated that it's hard to make out. The top one's easy. the bottom is harder. Something like:

"I want one of stars -------- as ---- ----- ----- ------- ----- --------

Our drums (dreams?) echo through the ------ ------- as a ---------- -------- --------

into infinity

It is a period of civil war.

It's not uncommon for older animes to use such dialog for filler since they figure no one can read it anyway. I can recognize the Star Wars easily. Any guesses as to the rest? It's probably from a novel or song or something.

Actually it is rather easy trick to do in Photoshop.

Duplicate a layer of the Megaroad and then make the duplicate semi-transparent. Un-check the transparent layer to hide it and select the original opaque layer of the ship to work on. On the selected layer you then erase all the "glass" areas that you want to seem transparent. When that glass is erased then click the check box to show the transparent layer and Tada!

A window with space apparently shining through it... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

Most of the rips out there are so blurred and oversaturated that it's hard to make out. The top one's easy. the bottom is harder. Something like:

"I want one of stars -------- as ---- ----- ----- ------- ----- --------

Our drums (dreams?) echo through the ------ ------- as a ---------- -------- --------

into infinity

It is a period of civil war.

It's not uncommon for older animes to use such dialog for filler since they figure no one can read it anyway. I can recognize the Star Wars easily. Any guesses as to the rest? It's probably from a novel or song or something.

A vast sea of stars serves as the backdrop for the MAIN TITLE. War drums echo through the heavens, as a ROLLUP slowly crawls into infinity…

It is a period of civil wars in the galaxy. A brave alliance of underground freedom fighters has challenged the tyranny and oppression of the awesome GALACTIC EMPIRE.

What i did in the GIMP was different but just as simple. Basically I area selected the glass area (the lines are thick enough that this works well) and then erased with the eraser tools opacity lowered. No worries about erasing the city.

Should have known it was more Star Wars. Thanks Reivaj!

Final version with full text:

post-1202-0-29854700-1357394691_thumb.png

Thanks to Mr. March, I recreated it as a wallpaper. Here it is in 1920x1200 16:10 format (my native) and 1920x1080 16:9 format. I trust no one needs a 4:3? While the image he provided would allow for even bigger wallpapers, Piecing the starfield back together for the bigger size proved a bit of a challenge and the moon has been scaled up a bit. The images were oversized for the original project thankfully, which is way this is even possible. I don't really want to scale things up too much, and replacing them outright drastically alters the look. No one actually needs something bigger, right? I know how massive some screens are now. The bottom text is also placed under the Megaroad instead of through it on the original to balance the added space.

This is actually pretty much the first wallpaper I've ever created. Still thinking of colorizing the city.

I've made versions with and without the obvious Star Wars references.

16:10

post-1202-0-04239100-1357402193_thumb.png

post-1202-0-29276300-1357402165_thumb.png

16:9

post-1202-0-41772200-1357402242_thumb.png

post-1202-0-73486800-1357402217_thumb.png

Actual size zip file. The 16:10 is slightly edited while I was at it. Apparently, we can't upload 7zip files.

Megaroad.zip

Great work, but my browser isn't displaying these at 1920 x 1200. Is this a limitation of my browser (Firefox) or is this something the Macross World Forum software does?

Might be something with the software - as I've had "shrinkage" of images here that I know shouldn't be that shrunk.

In Firefox, right-click the image to get the "view image" option, and select that. You might have to reload the image you're trying to get as that option doesn't show up the first time on occasion on my PC.

It IS the forum software that is scaling them down. Not something I appreciate on these new forums <_< .

You might want to put this on an image hosting site like postimage.org to avoid the auto-cropping. Not a fan of this new 'feature", not a fan at all.

Mercurial, you should set up an account on PIXIV and post this, I'm sure a few Japanese fans would appreciate your work... :)

Or if you prefer I could post it on your behalf (I think...).

Edited by Zinjo

Forum Software... with the main page hosting images, large podcast files, all the attachments from the galleries on the forum and people generally posting ridiculously large versions of out of focus generally bad phone images and a lot of members that attach a lot of non macross or related things on the various threads, We made the decision to put a cap on the unlimited size of attachments. We also made the thumbnails a lot bigger so you don't have to click on the images to see them in the first place. Add the fact that we're going to redo all of the resource database on the main page and we're to try to make sure that it's all hi-res scans, not old photographs from the 80s and 90s. It all takes toll on the guy paying the bills. These are things done to make your forum experience faster and more enjoyable, not to make you suffer and insist that you look at images at a tiny 1200 pixels wide resolution, you poor dears...

Like Zinjo mentioned... there's still options such as the numerous image hosting places that will let you post images in even higher resolutions. :lol:

Thanks.

This is the first I've ever heard of this "truncating" of images being "admitted" to in the forums...

Would it be unreasonable to ask that the minimum be at least 1920x1200 so that we can have a usable wallpaper thread?

It won't satisfy everyone, but most I suspect.

That's a negatory, Alpha!

There really isn't a point on having the full image shown on screen. Like I said, it'll take toll on a lot of regular threads. Again, on most threads, people don't mean to post Hi-Res images, they're just to lazy to figure out how to resize. For Wallpaper threads and other threads that would require large images you can post a preview and then attach a zip file of the full resolution picture.

post-151-0-80085500-1357629727_thumb.jpg

Hikaru VF-1J Gerwalk.zip