Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

21 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Don't regret selling mine one bit, never really cared for the design and the toy wasn't executed that well to begin with.

-b.

I'm still baffled at the idea you didn't like the design, I'd nip/tuck a few things personally which Kawamori appears to have done in both places on the 31 as well.  I can agree it received Bandai's standard first-pass half-assery where engineering is concerned.  Though if you eschew the waist swivel in Gerwalk that mostly sorts itself out.

It does have the superior weapons pod, however.

I love the look of the YF-30 but yeah I agree with the sentiment that the engineering needs some improvement, which they made for the 31 line. Though I don't really like to transform it because it's prone to scratching in many places (like the 29), it's certainly easier and more fun to transform than something like the Sentinel Legioss, which is just a hodge podge of folding panels. (That's a problem with the original design though, not a knock against Sentinel's toy, which is pretty good.)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

Is the YF-30 really that bad?  I've been trying to decide whether or not to get one.  I love the way it looks but am concerned with the issues it has that I've read about.

That bad?  There are two things that might make or break it.  If you want to use the waist swivel in Gerwalk you have to use an additional brace to keep the back up.  If you stick to traditional Gerwalk it isn’t a problem. The other issue is you need to use a brace to hold Battroid together because they didn’t come up with a better mechanism until the 31.  If you want to transform back and forth a lot it’s irritating but otherwise it’s typical poor Bandai first attempt engineering but it’s perfectly functional in all three modes.

Edited by Mommar

I've always found it a pretty awesome design, but I think the biggest detractor is the tail design.  They just.. kind of sit there, looking primed to snap off in a stiff breeze.  Depending on the manufacturing, they may or may not spin like pinwheels.

I've had had a rough idea for a new set of tails to just snap over the original mounts and integrate the tails into the wings more like the VF-31 did, but never got around to making them.

On 9/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, Special Sauce said:

Is the YF-30 really that bad?  I've been trying to decide whether or not to get one.  I love the way it looks but am concerned with the issues it has that I've read about.

I've got two. Love em. I don't transform my toys much though (hence having 2-3 of most stuff, one for each mode). If I want to transform something I'll grab a Chunky Monkey.

Speaking of.......I need one more for Gerwalk.:D

I got a question about these Macross Delta Valkyries, I used to get the older Macross Frontier toys and was dissapointed in how loose the joints got right away. I even purchased the Renewal versions of some of the toys but was still dissapointed. Since then, I stayed away from Bandai Macross toys until the 1/48 SDFM VF-1J came out and have been buying those. What are your impressions of the Macross Delta toys? They look similar to the Frontier toys and I assume they have the same issues. 

@rsvictor1976 - You're wrong on the DX 31. The Delta valks are way better designed than the 25 in terms of tightness and articulation although they still look like thinly and spindly bugs (however the paint chips are highly bound to happen), 

The only Frontier valks that I have are the 171EX Alto, 27 Sterne and the YF-29 Mr. Banana Ears and the Chronos.    

1 hour ago, rsvictor1976 said:

I got a question about these Macross Delta Valkyries, I used to get the older Macross Frontier toys and was dissapointed in how loose the joints got right away. I even purchased the Renewal versions of some of the toys but was still dissapointed. Since then, I stayed away from Bandai Macross toys until the 1/48 SDFM VF-1J came out and have been buying those. What are your impressions of the Macross Delta toys? They look similar to the Frontier toys and I assume they have the same issues. 

The Delta Valks are the beginning of Bandai starting to make better Valks.

3 hours ago, rsvictor1976 said:

What are your impressions of the Macross Delta toys? They look similar to the Frontier toys and I assume they have the same issues. 

Like others have said, the Delta VF-31 Bandai DX Chogokin is a much more solid, stable toy compared to the VF-25s. Joints seems to be much tight and do not loosen. I would highly recommend adding at least one VF-31 to your collection.

On 9/25/2021 at 12:30 PM, rsvictor1976 said:

They get loose/floppy too.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy a YF-30 (36k yen) and am concern about the yellowing issues.

I have read and seen images in this thread all the way back to 2017 and noticed some MISB YF-30 have minor to almost no yellowing at the point of its posting (2017-2019; around 4-6 years after its release). However now, as of 2022, it has been around 8 years since it was first released.

Does anyone here recently (or recent years) got a MISB YF-30 or may have an idea of whether a MISB valk suffered from terrible yellowing issues even if it was mint in box?

19 hours ago, Repiv_Onex said:

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy a YF-30 (36k yen) and am concern about the yellowing issues.

I have read and seen images in this thread all the way back to 2017 and noticed some MISB YF-30 have minor to almost no yellowing at the point of its posting (2017-2019; around 4-6 years after its release). However now, as of 2022, it has been around 8 years since it was first released.

Does anyone here recently (or recent years) got a MISB YF-30 or may have an idea of whether a MISB valk suffered from terrible yellowing issues even if it was mint in box?

The amount of yellowing a MISB example has will depend on how it was stored. It could be minty white. Or it could be "bad teeth" yellow. I wouldn't buy one without the seller popping it out and taking some very detailed well lit pics. I went through the same thing recently with a VF171. It took me five tries to get a new one MISB that wasn't yellowed to one degree or another.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, seti88 said:

lol..i wasn't the one who requested product shots...😂

:lol: 

19 minutes ago, borgified said:

I was just wondering if @Saburo has any SV-262 Hs spammy shots for the DX 262 thread @no3Ljm... 

You didn't check the thread? :spiteful:

I honestly say that Bandai should re-engineer the Chronos (a la 31) and make another production run in either the Red or Blue. There’s no doubt that collectors will be willing to pick up another unit in a different  colour swash. 
But Bandai loves to pull the rug out and say it never existed. 

1 hour ago, borgified said:

I honestly say that Bandai should re-engineer the Chronos (a la 31) and make another production run in either the Red or Blue. There’s no doubt that collectors will be willing to pick up another unit in a different  colour swash. 
But Bandai loves to pull the rug out and say it never existed. 

As similar as they look, the 30's body folds very differently from the 31's though. It would no longer be the same thing if they replaced the whole mechanism. Based on the reviews I've seen, the braces are kind of optional anyway. I think a few small hack job changes like adding some folding tabs for support, or to lock things in place should be enough.

It just occurred to me there might be some hope yet for a YF-30 reissue, since Bandai have been slowly reviving Frontier valks. We have this and the VF-27 molds left, so perhaps Bandai will move on to either of these next. (Although I hope Bandai forgets that YF-30 is technically not in Frontier)

I feel like bandai has already forgotten ozma and luca, along with the rest of the AX, draken, superpacks, etc. They probably intentionally plugged the thoughts of tornado packs by how they released alto and micheal's 25 with bundled super packs too lol

Maybe the 27 has a better chance, because it hasn't been reissued yet, and the 30 maybe whenever the game's big anniv comes up. To my understanding though, the 27 requres a brace in battroid more so than the 30 though, and could do with some updates to fix that. Given that these revivals seem to not contain much design changes, I'm not sure there's much hope for fixes lol

The 27 does need the small brace to be used in battriod mode (timestamp 10:30 to 11:17) in the Renewal 27 transformation video done by @jenius on his channel 10 years ago. That clip is less annoying than the Chronos uses and its out of sight.   

• 2 weeks later...