Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

Guest davidwhangchoi

i wasn't thrilled about it so i sold mine a while ago before even opening it. maybe i should've given the yf-30 a chance. but too late i brought a lot of gundams to build...

Not even sure if I should get it. Auction prices are 19,000k plus, and I've kept losing out.

I fell in the love with the YF-29B Percival but thought that maybe I'll need the Chronos to complement it as a Macross 30 rival.

At the moment I have:

YF-29 Alto + Super Parts

VF-25F Alto + Armor Parts

VF-25S Ozma + Armor Parts

VF-25G Michael super Parts Only

RVF-25 Luca + Super Parts

VF-27 Gamma Brera with Super Parts

YF-25 Prophecy

VF-25A Standard + super parts.

YF-29B Percival on order. So no other Macross 30 character.

Not getting the VF-171s and the Ozma and Isamu YF-29s since their less advanced VFs represent them more.

Will be getting VF-27 beta x1, x2 if it drops after market. But we all know that all web exclusives hardly drop below official price unless it is used or has a fail review score. YF-29 Isamu is only below official retail unopened if it is bundled with super parts and it also has a negative point of the tornado guns not being able to stretch forward.

Will need the VF-19Advance Isamu when it comes out even if the battroid will have stability issues with the boosters.

Real world aviation? No.. but it does resemble a few naval missile batteries. Nothing that shape would fly with our current level of technology. :lol:

I thought the F-35 should have a flip out A-10 turret. How could it provide ground support with the lousy weaponry, light armor and slow acceleration? :p

Edited by Scyla

I've pulled off the YF-30 from my wishlist despite its rising prices and good battroid proportions.

I just don't want to get too addicted and think that I have to get everything complementary(e.g. rival to the YF-29B) even though I don't like the design. Same with Isamu YF-29, good price, but would rather pay more for his VF-19Advance.

I only need to get VF-25G to complete my VF-25s.

Edited by calubin_175

I plan to wait/hope that Macross Delta has like a VF-30B, and that will lead to an improved version from Bandai----like no external braces needed, tailfins that slot in by the wings (they so look like they should), etc.

I honestly have half a mind to make some shapeways tails that extend the root forward into the wing to look like they actually attach to something. Might not rotate entirely flat, but it'll look loads better on the fighter mode, and nothing's going to make the tails look worse in battroid anyway. :p

I'm kinda tickled that the new VF-171 EX is coming with more reaction missiles... which I can then pass along to the YF-30. A whopping 4 reaction missiles on one Valkyrie... ooooh, goody. I'm gonna go hunt some capital ships.

I plan to wait/hope that Macross Delta has like a VF-30B, and that will lead to an improved version from Bandai----like no external braces needed, tailfins that slot in by the wings (they so look like they should), etc.

I don't know if I'd be into the Macross Delta Valkyries if they are too similar looking (and have a similar aesthetic) to the Frontier Valkyries. For the 171 it is ok because it looks very different to the VF-17. It is an shift in design even if they have some similarities.

Due to the fact that Valkyries are now rendered models I think that a next generation of Valkyries would have a similar, I don't know how to describe it, a similar look and feel than the ones from Frontier. If they are just an advancement of the VF-25 airframe I think I would not be that thrilled in owning a toy of the Delta Valkyries.

I think it would be the same like the similarities between the VF-11B and C and the YF-21/VF-22. Only with them there where less toy released the VF-11 had two (none in my possession) and the YF-21 four (one in my possession) releases.

From the Frontier Valkyries I have a multitude of every airframe so there is more saturation on my part. What do you guys think? Does my mumbling make any sense to you?

I would like to see a CF VF-30. it has to be a bit different though and should have at least allowance for fast packs, but checking the timeline of Delta, it is set around 7 to 8 years after Frontier, there is a high chance that the CF would belong to the 25series.

I want different designs. Variety is the spice of life! They really need to do something in the vein of the YF-19 and YF-21; something a bit more original.

IMHO, honestly, Kawamori has gotten "lazy" with the battroid modes ever since Plus---mainly the wings. He used to tuck/fold the wings and tailfins away. Nowadays---they all just sit there on the back, as a ginormous backpack. YF-29 is about the worst offender, but the -25/27/30 all do it similarly.

And as mentioned before---the -30's tailfins really look like he just "forgot" to implement an idea he had---the tailfins REALLY should fold/slide up "into" the tailfin-shaped gaps by the wings---but they don't, they just sit there.

IMHO, honestly, Kawamori has gotten "lazy" with the battroid modes ever since Plus---mainly the wings. He used to tuck/fold the wings and tailfins away. Nowadays---they all just sit there on the back, as a ginormous backpack. YF-29 is about the worst offender, but the -25/27/30 all do it similarly.

And as mentioned before---the -30's tailfins really look like he just "forgot" to implement an idea he had---the tailfins REALLY should fold/slide up "into" the tailfin-shaped gaps by the wings---but they don't, they just sit there.

THIS! So very much.

Also this is just my opinion, but not only has he gotten lazy with the way wings are stored (it translates so badly on the YF-29 especially), I can't help but feel very meh when it comes to head sculpt design. He has been doing this insectoid-like look, which all look similar, from Aquarion, to Eureka 7, Nobunaga the Fool, and off course, the VF-25S and VF-27 in the Frontier line.

It looks nice, and I guess it's become his signature style. but I do hope he tries something new, or perhaps do something akin to the designs we got in the original Macross / DYRL and Plus.

My predictions:

1) The VF-30 will be in the new show

2) The big change from the YF-30 to the VF-30 will be that on the VF-30 the tailfins will fold up and that the central missile bay will be a tiny bit different.

This will let Bandai use the mold for some milkin'.

THIS! So very much.

Also this is just my opinion, but not only has he gotten lazy with the way wings are stored (it translates so badly on the YF-29 especially), I can't help but feel very meh when it comes to head sculpt design. He has been doing this insectoid-like look, which all look similar, from Aquarion, to Eureka 7, Nobunaga the Fool, and off course, the VF-25S and VF-27 in the Frontier line.

It looks nice, and I guess it's become his signature style. but I do hope he tries something new, or perhaps do something akin to the designs we got in the original Macross / DYRL and Plus.

Just echoing here as well. Main reason why i never really got into frontier valks was the way the wings just hangs there in battroid mode. Also why the 171 still has the best battroid mode for me. Second reason is the head...

My predictions:

2)that the central missile bay will be a tiny bit different.

I suspect it'll be totally different, and take advantage of the obviously-built-in-capability to swap out different "mission packs". Could be something like anti-ship nukes, an AWACS antenna, tornado-ish cannons, space-whale harpoons, etc.

Perhaps even replacing FAST packs? Different mission pods instead of super/armor packs?

• 2 months later...

I recently bought the Bandai DX YF-30 as my first premium Macross toy. Well, I have a Toynami Max VF-1J from back in the day and it was cool and all, but, I belive, not premium even back then.

I did a lot of research on what Valkyrie I'd like to get to display on my bookshelf, and (although I'm a fan of original Macross [Robotech] and Macross Plus is the pinnacle of the whole series in my opinion), I ended up with what I thought to be the best overall design/quality. And, after watching all the reviews several times and looking at all the pictures I could find, I was still stunned how beautiful the YF-30 is. The quality of engineering and materials, the finishing (gorgeous matte paint and tampo), the colour scheme and especially the desing of the battroid mode are amazing, not to mention the articulation on the toy. I'm not an expert, but to me YF-30 is very close to a model kit quality which is huge for a transformable toy.

I know many people don't like the braces for gerwalk and battroid mode, and I do understant that it diminishes the idea of absolutely perfect transformation, but they don't bother me much. The little of them that shows don't really show as detachable pieces when you display the valk. And you don't even have to use them.

Anyway, the toy design and quality have come a long way since I last checked the world of Macross toys (or toys in general), and I can't wait for the future releases. I'm propably gonna get Arcadia's VF-0A next. I'm kinda sucker for the more "realistic", not over the top, visual look on Valkyries.

• 1 month later...