VF-9 Cutlass

Chthonic

I love the VF-9's transformation because it's so different. While it took a while to figure out exactly how the wings fold, I don't think I ever did get exactly how the big swing-bar that connects the two arms works. Obviously it rotates 90 degrees, but there's more to it than that, to get the arms to be left/right from their front/rear fighter-mode arrangement while still having room for the hips, spine, etc to move to transform.

I love the VF-9's transformation because it's so different. While it took a while to figure out exactly how the wings fold, I don't think I ever did get exactly how the big swing-bar that connects the two arms works. Obviously it rotates 90 degrees, but there's more to it than that, to get the arms to be left/right from their front/rear fighter-mode arrangement while still having room for the hips, spine, etc to move to transform.

Yeah, there’s definitely a lot more than a 90 degrees rotation. I don’t think I can fully see how it works in gerwalk mode.

Macross Mecha Manual

Great model, Chthonic!!! Looking forward to more renders!

Always a fan of ECC's work. This one looks like it worked out pretty well. Look forward to the other renders.

Yeah it's a total cannon fodder design. By the time it transforms it would be riddled with bullet holes ... :lol:

The fighter mode is totally sexy though... ;)

Here's another commission piece I had done for the VF-9 Cutlass by EastCoastCannuck- I think this sucker has one of the most difficult transformations I've seen - MORE Renders to come

This is awesome. Love me some VF-9! Looking forward to some Gerwalk mode shots.

I still don't get quite how the wings fold. But I think I have the arms pretty much figured out. It's actually similar to the missile pod for the new YF-30.

Great work Chthonic!

Yeah the color code transformation guide for this Valkyrie took me a long time to figure out :)

Haha I can imagine

Edited by Raptor One

Great work. I'm currently working on a high detailed version of the VF-9 and the VF-14.

NOW you tell me

Kawamori-san is a genius though or crazy...... because I couldn't figure to transform this thing - I'm having these models down b/c as fans we deserve them - in the future I will share them with the community- B/C I'm such a nice guy - they made a low cost toy of the VF-9- it was the best examble to go by -

BTW GUYS- Ill let you know now- THE VF-14 is the next one he's working on right now- the bad thing about it is- the landing gear. I try to have ECC make them acurate as possible.

post-610-0-95188600-1356886605_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-80080600-1356886654.jpg

post-610-0-58614700-1356886669.jpg

Edited by Chthonic

NOW you tell me

Kawamori-san is a genius though or crazy...... because I couldn't figure to transform this thing - I'm having these models down b/c as fans we deserve them - in the future I will share them with the community- B/C I'm such a nice guy - they made a low cost toy of the VF-9- it was the best examble to go by -

BTW GUYS- Ill let you know now- THE VF-14 is the next one he's working on right now- the bad thing about it is- the landing gear. I try to have ECC make them acurate as possible.

Yup, but I don't have much time, so it will take a while. The cool thing about this: I will design it, so it can be 3D printed at shapeways in high frosted detail. Muhahahahahahahahahahah

The landing gear of the VF-14 will be crazy to make, as there is no known footage of a VF-14 with landingbay open.

Just check out this scratch built model

http://www.fg-site.n.../post_old/55774

That is just awesome :D

I still don't get quite how the wings fold. But I think I have the arms pretty much figured out. It's actually similar to the missile pod for the new YF-30.

IIRC, the "chest plate" you see is actually the *underside* of the wings---see if that helps you figure it out.

!

It looks like it's wearing a giant, goofy bow-tie in Battroid though.

Bow-ties are cool! :p

Great work. I'm currently working on a high detailed version of the VF-9 and the VF-14.

Woooo, now that I will be looking forward to!!! Particularly the VF-14.

Do you have plans to do the VA-14 variant?

Edited by Zinjo

Do you intend a VA-14 variant? Had to ask... ;)

Bow ties are classy.

Mine's a reference from Doctor Who.... B))

With a battroid mode that ugly... I don't think I'd need it to transform.

I wonder if the transformation was an after thought much like the VF-4 was. He designed a very sexy jet, but then had to create a mecha from those parts... :rolleyes:

I had ECC do some texture tweeking to make it darker and more realistic - Here's a sneak peak at the VF-14

ECC NEED HELP WITH THE VF-14'S GUNPOD- I KNOW THERE'S NOT A LOT OF REFERENCE BUT ECC NEEDS OUR HELP

He was having problems with the landing gear surprisingly he based it on the real SR-71, but I wanted it to be accurate as possible

post-610-0-61380400-1357167804_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-22618400-1357167845_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-10927900-1357167858_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-79576200-1357167873_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-08398300-1357168006_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-77276100-1357168095_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-06984600-1357168114_thumb.jpg

Re: VF-14

The landing gear in the image with the gun pod seems more right (the other image has the gear too-far forward of the center of gravity). Nevertheless, they are popping out where the internal missile launchers are. I suggest further up the side (nearer the wing root), and possibly further back: Like the VF-17: http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross7/vf-17d-nightmare/vf-17d-fighter-lineart.gif

(VF-17 being the next fighter designed by General Galaxy, there's going to be more than a few similarities)

The gun pod isn't the right one. The one that has been scribbled for it is a lot thinner. The best place to find an image for it is in the Macross M3 game opening: https://www.youtube.com/results?hl=ja&q=macross%20m3%20opening&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dGY&bpcl=40096503&biw=1226&bih=762&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=i1

I appreciate the ties to the YF-19 and YF-29...but that is one FUGLY VF.

I think the Fighter mode is teh sex, but the Batteroid and Gerwalk look fugly to me. I'm not even sure if another color scheme could fix that for me.

Edited by Loop

This isn't much but I believe this is all there is:

post-12283-0-57354500-1357191402_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reïvaj

IIRC, the "chest plate" you see is actually the *underside* of the wings---see if that helps you figure it out.

Ahh okay, that quote and the scratchbuild linked earlier in the thread have made it a little clearer.

I appreciate the ties to the YF-19 and YF-29...but that is one FUGLY VF.

:( I agree that battroid mode isn't great, but I love the VF-9's fighter mode. Brings to mind a variable version of the fan racer. Gerwalk is also one of my favourites. Battroid and Gerwalk do look better in the lineart though.

Edited by Raptor One

Re: VF-14

The landing gear in the image with the gun pod seems more right (the other image has the gear too-far forward of the center of gravity). Nevertheless, they are popping out where the internal missile launchers are. I suggest further up the side (nearer the wing root), and possibly further back: Like the VF-17: http://www.macross2....ter-lineart.gif

(VF-17 being the next fighter designed by General Galaxy, there's going to be more than a few similarities)

The gun pod isn't the right one. The one that has been scribbled for it is a lot thinner. The best place to find an image for it is in the Macross M3 game opening: https://www.youtube....F-8&sa=N&tab=i1

We might need someone to sketch it out for him - the crazy thing is where is it kept in fighter mode?

EastCoastCanuck here.. I'm almost done building this model,but I will need decent reference for the right gun its supposed to use.The game snapshot is a start but only gives me its basic overall shape.I thought it might've had the same gun design I was given in the reference material Chthonic gave me.. but looks like I might not be able to use it.Might have to take a lot of liberties and make up my own details otherwise.

As for the VF9 it came out pretty well,but its transformations are kinda tricky.The shoulder bar with the arms just clip through the model once I animated the transforms.So they end up either going through the leg/engines or the upper engines no matter how I try to twist those parts around.

I don't see how people hate like the GERWALK or battroid modes of the VF-9 so much

The GERWALK looks totally menacing, like a bird of prey. I think it is neat how the whole nose props up like that.

As for the battroid? It may not be the best, but it is totally better than the skinny, sucked-in gut/out-thrust crotch look of everything from Frontier.