MW Martial Artists

Mechamaniac

You know, Scotland has it's own martial art. Yeah, it's call "fukk-yew!". It's mostly just head-butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground. :p

...Most commonly practiced in the presence of and durring football matches.

I agree with yellowlightman. Here in Australia there are programs which can get you your own class with your black belt in two years.  :angry: In tae kwon do, its worse, after six months you can get your own class, without your black belt! In my opinion, that is just so wrong, and so dangerous to think that you've mastered the art after just two years and consider yourself able to teach other students to defend themselves. There's a ridiculous tae kwon do school here too, everytime they stand in line and peform katas in unison, they have to shout out in rhythm to their strikes: Rhee, Tae Kwon Do! The strongest and the best! Also they have to follow certain rules and aim for certain places to score, what a crock! This stuff is meant for combat blokes, what the hell do you want to bring rules in for?! On the street there are no rules!

Ahh man, that's nothing. I knew a girl that used to go to a martial arts place (Karate? Tae Kwon Do? I forget) where the head teacher used to make up forms to go along to music. Music like Welcome to the Danger Zone it was totally ridiculous and I laughed in her face when she told me about it.

Also, Anubis, those wooden dummies are used in Wing Chun... usually cost around $800. Far more cost effective to beat up on a door way, thats what I used to do.

They wouldn't have happened to play Kung Fu Fighting by BUs Stopp as well would they <_<

• 4 years later...

I never even knew this thread existed. Myself...a red belt with all the knowledge of a 1st degree black belt in Taekwondo. Haven't been doing it daily for over a year now but study some at home.

:ph34r:

any advice for a style for young kids?

I do believe that a good style for young kids is Taekwondo or Karate. More so Taekwondo for it may not be as hardcore. Plus in instills a good sense of discipline and respect.

I do believe that a good style for young kids is Taekwondo or Karate. More so Taekwondo for it may not be as hardcore. Plus in instills a good sense of discipline and respect.

cool, thanks. Does taekwondo have as many styles/schools as karate? If so, any specific style or school that you like?

cool, thanks. Does taekwondo have as many styles/schools as karate? If so, any specific style or school that you like?

Taekwondo does have alot of different organizations in the US. I was in the ATA...American Taekwondo Association. I will say this about it though...DO NOT GET INTO THE POLITICS! Go because you love the skills you aquire and the exercise. Once you let the politics get involved everything starts heading down hill.

Taekwondo does have alot of different organizations in the US. I was in the ATA...American Taekwondo Association. I will say this about it though...DO NOT GET INTO THE POLITICS! Go because you love the skills you aquire and the exercise. Once you let the politics get involved everything starts heading down hill.

oh.. yeah, I have zero interest in that type of politics. I was thinking more along the lines of stylistic or philosophical differences... say like the differences between Japanese and Okinawan forms, or schools that emphasize the "roots" or schools that are more competitive/sports oriented.

I would be more interested in having my son study in a less competitive school that had more of an emphasis on the personal/spiritual side of martial arts.

Nothing wrong with the sports side, but I don't think that would fit well with my son's temperment.

oh.. yeah, I have zero interest in that type of politics. I was thinking more along the lines of stylistic or philosophical differences... say like the differences between Japanese and Okinawan forms, or schools that emphasize the "roots" or schools that are more competitive/sports oriented.

I would be more interested in having my son study in a less competitive school that had more of an emphasis on the personal/spiritual side of martial arts.

Nothing wrong with the sports side, but I don't think that would fit well with my son's temperment.

In that case my friend....I may look to another style than Taekwondo. I would like to join a school for spirituality reasons myself. If you find one let me know please.

Judo at 8 or 9 I think , karate at 10 and now jiu jitsu bresilien . I did some gymnastic so wanted to try Qi Gong and Tai chi chuan but I think they're for older people ( my impression when you see the people who are in practice)...

Judo or karate should be fine .In taekwondo is more like hawkish for a child ^_^

In that case my friend....I may look to another style than Taekwondo. I would like to join a school for spirituality reasons myself. If you find one let me know please.

ah, okay, thanks for the honest advice. I'll keep you posted if I find a school/style like that.

ah, okay, thanks for the honest advice. I'll keep you posted if I find a school/style like that.

rubi just mentioned wanting to try out Tai Chi...which is supposedly for older folks but I myself being almost 30 would love to get into Tai Chi. I hear the spirituality in that art is immense.

rubi just mentioned wanting to try out Tai Chi...which is supposedly for older folks but I myself being almost 30 would love to get into Tai Chi. I hear the spirituality in that art is immense.

I think all the people who go for Tai chi are attracted by this ying/yang developpement force but I don't know. they said it was accessible for evreyone and like you said when you go take a look you realize it's really supposedly for older folks. but if you're 30 it's the major part of the people who practice it I think .

Yoga is also full of spirituality thought but I think we know why we don't want to try it :D

tai chi isn't really just for old people, it's just a soft form and people go through, what I suppose could be called a kata, in slow motion which is in keeping with the idea of not meeting strength with strength. Tai chi can be devestatingly fast and deadly if that's your focus.

I remember my friend and I made our own bow and arrows and we were shooting them off in a field, his grandfather, who practiced tai chi, wandered out into where we shooting and would pluck the arrows out of the air while he was doing his forms... he would just time his movements to intercept the arrows. From the outside it looked like we timed practiced the moves together (us and the grandfather) but we were shooting the arrows randomly and he was just awesome.

Edited by eugimon

I remember my friend and I made our own bow and arrows and we were shooting them off in a field, his grandfather, who practiced tai chi, wandered out into where we shooting and would pluck the arrows out of the air while he was doing his forms... he would just time his movements to intercept the arrows. From the outside it looked like we timed practiced the moves together (us and the grandfather) but we were shooting the arrows randomly and he was just awesome.

THAT IS AWESOME!!! I wanna be able to do that one day. An d so I shall.

Good ol fashioned gun foo mate... its the deadliest martial art money can buy...

Unless of course you end up fighting Bruce Leeroy. He caught the bullet in his teeth. That guy is the shiznit!

Unless of course you end up fighting Bruce Leeroy. He caught the bullet in his teeth. That guy is the shiznit!

what if the other guy is better at gun kata than you? Or what if you're both equally good and run out of bullets, then you need to fight with your swords! Anyways, thanks for the advice transfan but I don't think my three year old needs a gun.

I am studying Capoeira, the national sport of Brazil. I had to take some time off but will be picking it up when i go back to school this fall. I love it and one of the most interesting martial arts out there with a very rich and compelling history.

any advice for a style for young kids?

I've heard Tae Kwon Do mentioned, and one nice thing about it is that a great deal of dojangs market it to children. But I wouldn't just consider one style before making a final choice. I see you're in the Bay Area, which should have no short supply of variety. Of course, I am partial to kendo. See if any of these are near you, and above all, if they have childrens' classes. The con is, kendo equipment can be pricey; but the good part is, the vast majority of kendo dojos are not for profit, so you wont be paying as much for dues (it's usually just to pay cost for the space used as a dojo). I marvel at how kendo can cultivate the spirit and wish I had started at an earlier age.

Edited by Dervish

I quit Kung-Fu at the age of 9 to take up the study of Hokuto no Ken, but I will probably never master it.

No one will ever master a certain skill. For there is always more to learn.

I started Martial Arts again late last year.

I forgot how much I loved it!

I am studying Enshin Kai Karate here in Tucson.

My first belt test is at the end of the month.

Good luck to you mate. I remember my first test. It was amazing and I was nervous as all hell.