Macross Plus in BD!!! OVA w/ English Dub & Movie w/En

treatment

Instant pre-order! I mean, it IS my favorite Macross series. Not to mention, I'm a sucker for box sets.

I'm passing---I want the movie edition in a language I comprehend.

It's times like these that make the years of Japanese classes that I have taken worth while. (^.^ ;)

Well... yeah. But as discussed in another thread, they don't even put Japanese subtitles on their own stuff.

I guess it really depends on the company. Kyoto Animation, whom I've purchased two box sets from (Haruhi and Lucky Star), have really phenomenal releases. Japanese and English audio and subs in both languages. Can't beat that.

Edited by Actar

The reason this set won't include Manga's English subs is that Manga owns those subs. Translations are protected by copyright, so Bandai Visual would have to pay Manga to use those subs. Bandai could hire their own translator(s) and create a new English script, but that's extra money that Bandai probably isn't interested in spending.

As for the English dub, that was bought and paid for way back in the 90's, as evidenced by Japan's Macross Plus International Edition. So the only money that Bandai has to spend on that is for its Blu ray authoring.

That said, I'm definintely buying this set. I've practically memorized the script, so I don't need subs.

The reason this set won't include Manga's English subs is that Manga owns those subs. Translations are protected by copyright, so Bandai Visual would have to pay Manga to use those subs. Bandai could hire their own translator(s) and create a new English script, but that's extra money that Bandai probably isn't interested in spending.

As for the English dub, that was bought and paid for way back in the 90's, as evidenced by Japan's Macross Plus International Edition. So the only money that Bandai has to spend on that is for its Blu ray authoring.

That said, I'm definintely buying this set. I've practically memorized the script, so I don't need subs.

Actually, the exact opposite is usually true, the original licensing company also maintains ownership of translations done on their material. This is why you'll usually see the same dub and or sub when shows get relicensed. The reason more Japanese releases don't have English subs after translations have been made is because they don't want to spend the time and money to implement and time the subs.

I just can't wait to see the fight scenes in bd hd...

It will be a true thing of beauty. I really hope they end up remastering and releasing II on bluray as well, I'd really like to see it on something other than a composite master.

Edited by Keith

The reason more Japanese releases don't have English subs after translations have been made is because they don't want to spend the time and money to implement and time the subs.

I guess that's why these Japanese Blu-rays included English subs. :)

Yamato 2199

Gundam Unicorn

Gundam Age

Gundam Seed remaster

Haruhi Suzumiya

Tiger & Bunny

Library Way

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Mardock Scramble 2nd movie

Patlabor movies (all 3)

Akira

Wings of Honneamise

Jin-Roh

Tenchi Muyo movies

Garden of Sinners

Baccano

Fate Zero

The reason more Japanese releases don't have English subs after translations have been made is because they don't want to spend the time and money to implement and time the subs.

Call me ignorant, but I really don't buy that. Maybe for some one-shot anime that is new. But Macross? More specifically Macross Plus? It makes no damn sense to include an English Dub on the OVA's (which I am grateful for) and then not include any english subs on the movie.

So if I buy this set, I will only be buying it for the OVA"s and the movie will be of no use.

First off, Gundam releases have been experimental for a while now. The 0079 movies have had sub's on their last two releases, while the TV series didn't. Unicorn was specifically a test to see just how well such a release would do via export, the results of which led to the SEED remaster & Age having subs.

Wings of Honneamise, Akira, The Gunbuster/Diebuster Gattai movie, etc, were all originally intended for dual region release at Japanese prices, which is why all of those Bandai/Honneamise era releases have subs. You'll note that both the Gunbuster & Diebuster OVA's despite having full sub scripts did "not" retain their translations when Bandai Visual put them out on bluray.'

But to hell with all that, this can be summed up quite simply with the mention of the Haruhi Suzumiya release. Why did that have English subs? Because they believed it would get some extra cash, and they had no intention of giving BE the bluray license. Here's the clincher, why didn't the Japanese release of Disappearance have subs despite the full translation already being shown around at con's? Because they had already licensed it out to BE, and didn't want to step on their sales. That's right, the second reason (after the mone yinvolved in bothering to sub and time those subs) is because it helps Japanese companies maintain higher licensing fee's.

So is it just a matter of time before Macross II comes out on Blu Ray?

Hopefully. The only worry here is that it was skipped over during the last batch if "HD DVD" releases. But considering how well these Blu Ray sets have done for BV, I'm hopng they decide to prep it for release after Plus.

Sweet! They are including the International version's English audio track.

I agree it is unfortunate about the English Subtitles, but they must have some confidence in their dub not to include them.

A High Def version of the remastered set with English "ANYTHING"...

I am so totally buying this!

We gotta spread the world and make this one a big international seller. Maybe Big West and Bandai Visual will get the message that they can sell more copies if they only added more subtitle tracks...

Edited by Zinjo

True, it was a dub ironically using most of the same cast used to dub the Manga release, but there are differences, however I am not picky enough to look for them again.

As for subs, all they need to do is analyse their international sales and to where they are going to determine a cost benefit of commissioning subtitles.

Hell they could buy fan subs and simply pay to correct them if they really wanted to go the cheap route...

We gotta spread the world and make this one a big international seller. Maybe Big West and Bandai Visual will get the message that they can sell more copies if they only added more subtitle tracks...

While this would be nice, unfortunately it isn't going to happen. The number of people willing to pay Japanese prices is minuscule and on top of that it could well be region locked much like the vast majority of Japanese BDs are meaning that there's no support for anyone outside of Japan or the US who imports, only to find they've just thrown 200 dollars or so away.

While this would be nice, unfortunately it isn't going to happen. The number of people willing to pay Japanese prices is minuscule and on top of that it could well be region locked much like the vast majority of Japanese BDs are meaning that there's no support for anyone outside of Japan or the US who imports, only to find they've just thrown 200 dollars or so away.

While I agree that the price is prohibitive, the release is region A, which makes it compatable with all North American players.

Aren't all BDs from Bandai-Visual region-free?

Have they changed policies recently?

Is there an actual region free policy? If so, it's the first I've heard of it. While many of their recent BDs have been region free, Macross Zero, for example, was not. The thing is, since so many importers are from the US and US and JPN are the same region, many people presume they everything is region fe when this isn't necessarily the case.

Is there an actual region free policy? If so, it's the first I've heard of it. While many of their recent BDs have been region free, Macross Zero, for example, was not. The thing is, since so many importers are from the US and US and JPN are the same region, many people presume they everything is region fe when this isn't necessarily the case.

That's weird.

I only have the R2J, but CDJapan lists Zero-BD as region-free. I don't remember anyone mentioning that there was any region-coding on it, either.

BV's site does not specify any region-coding: http://product.banda...em_no=BCXA-0062

Is Zero-BD really just region-A?

edit:

Yeah, I still don't see any region-coding symbol based on the Zero-BD pics from here: http://linkai8425.wo...icture-updates/

In fact, the only Japan-BD I own that has the region-code A symbol on it is my Air-BD . The rest of my meager Japan-BDs all seems to be missing the region-A symbol (DYRL, Frontier, Nadesico, Amagami-SS). ^_^;

The region-coding symbol should be like the example I've attached, alongside a couple of sample anime japan-bds (one with the symbol and one without the symbol):

post-263-0-00128800-1356686709_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-78637000-1356687950_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

Amazon lists both Zero and the budokan concert as being region A only.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/マクロス-ゼロ-Blu-ray-Disc-BOX/dp/B0017T3PX2/ref=br_lf_m_3077076436_1_13_img?ie=UTF8&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=dvd&pf_rd_p=118273769&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=3077076436&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_r=0GP00N2CBFEC0C86VKJA

http://www.amazon.co.jp/マクロスF-フロンティア-ギャラクシーツアー-FINALin-Blu-ray/dp/B002L6C5SQ/ref=br_lf_m_3077076436_1_6_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=dvd&pf_rd_p=118273769&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=3077076436&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_r=0GP00N2CBFEC0C86VKJA

I've heard anecdotally that the budokan disc doesn't work in region B players. Admittedly, I can't test this out myself, but from experience Amazons listings are usually accurate. Also, not all companies list their regions-Universal in particular - and while not entirely relevant approx 70% of region B anime I've come across IS region locked, so I presume that a similar percentage stands for other regions as well.

As for subs...there's plenty more reasons for eng subs not being on Macross discs than plain economics, as we all know only too well. But hey if Bandai Visuals other releases are anything to go by, maybe new Macross releases will contain some sort of subs (ie, similar to Yamato 2199 having subs while the original series remaster on BD doesn't). We can always hope I guess.

Edited by Tochiro

Well, if you're using Amzn.jp as basis, then it's all good as they list the upcoming Macross Plus BD as All Regions. :D

At any rate, just surprised that Zero-BD is listed as region-A by amzn even tho the required region-logo is missing.

edit:

Incidentally, good news, everyone!

Seems like the Amzn pre-order pricing for Plus-BD has now been lowered to 13,095y!

My acct states they're gonna charge me 14,042y instead of the original 15,600y. Shipping-fees incl.

Hope it gets even lower! :D

Edited by treatment

Region Coding is designed to protect legitimate regional distributors from imported titles of the same media they are licensed to distribute locally. Having Macross properties "Region Free" makes good business sense considering that HG has trademarked Macross in the English and Spanish speaking world (on tenuous legal grounds). An easy way around this restriction is to remove any Region Coding and add subtitles in both English and Spanish to capture what export market there is for the properties.

If BW and BV don't have a region free policy on Macross releases, THEY SHOULD! Abandoning an export market, no matter how small is simply not good business, particulalry when one considers that adding subtitles is a far less expensive investment than commissioning a vocal dubbing track. Especially when one considers that for a comparatively modest fee they could purchase a fan sub and simply polish the translations professionally (if they so desire).

BD region coding is far more effective than DVD RC was because there is not NTSC or PAL format issues to deal with in HD. Region coding a title that can only be sold domestically through commercial channels makes little sense. If HG can secure TM's on BW's Intellectual Property, then BW has my full support to circumvent those erroneous trade marks and make money on their legally owned property through legitimate consumer purchased exports.

The interweb has provided BW with the tools and ability to market their titles globally. Something really not available to them until the early 2000's.

Edited by Zinjo

This is very good news I cant wait to buy this, never thought Macross Plus would ever get put on Blu-Ray. If the Blu-Ray is most def english dub'ed with Bryan Cranston's and Richard Epicar's voice then, I'll pay what I need to pay to get this, nice article.-D

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo2012

Amazon lists both Zero and the budokan concert as being region A only.

http://www.amazon.co...076436&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

http://www.amazon.co...?ie=UTF8&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=dvd

I've heard anecdotally that the budokan disc doesn't work in region B players. Admittedly, I can't test this out myself, but from experience Amazons listings are usually accurate. Also, not all companies list their regions-Universal in particular - and while not entirely relevant approx 70% of region B anime I've come across IS region locked, so I presume that a similar percentage stands for other regions as well.

As for subs...there's plenty more reasons for eng subs not being on Macross discs than plain economics, as we all know only too well. But hey if Bandai Visuals other releases are anything to go by, maybe new Macross releases will contain some sort of subs (ie, similar to Yamato 2199 having subs while the original series remaster on BD doesn't). We can always hope I guess.

I own the Budokan concert -- picked it up on in Japan without really thinking about it -- and it runs on my Australian PS3 which is region B. Bandai hasn't locked the Macross TV series or Do You Remember Love discs either. I don't own the Zero BD to verify, but if it's locked it's the outlier.

Edited by Gokurakumaru

I own the Budokan concert -- picked it up on in Japan without really thinking about it -- and it runs on my Australian PS3 which is region B. Bandai hasn't locked the Macross TV series or Do You Remember Love discs either. I don't own the Zero BD to verify, but if it's locked it's the outlier.

Interesting - the anecdote I heard was from a friend with an Australian PS3...thanks for the clarification.