Macross Plus in BD!!! OVA w/ English Dub & Movie w/En

treatment

The Manga dub. However, I am intrigued as to what they are going to do about Episode 4, since the English dub audio that was released for that in Japan was a completely different dub to the one released internationally. Some actors reprised their roles, but for starters Bryan Cranston was replaced by David "Solid Snake" Hayter. :)

My guess is that they will do what they did with the first DVD box set releases and have 1-3 be the Manga dub and put their own one on 4.

I'm curious as to what this alternate episode 4 with solid snake sounds like? I have the US release VHS and manga dvds and as far I know its the same Isamu on all of them...Which Macross Plus DVD set is it on? Hd remastered?Japan only release? anyone have maybe a youtube clip or maybe something along those lines of it? Is it considered better or worse than the Manga release?

ben

If I remember correctly, the new dub appeared first in the Macross Plus International Edition LDs, then in this set:

MPlus1_zpsa424ad11.jpg

I prefer this dub to the Manga one because this one has the correct music, not recycled from previous episodes. And I believe some audio effects were different too in the Manga version.

I'm curious as to what this alternate episode 4 with solid snake sounds like? I have the US release VHS and manga dvds and as far I know its the same Isamu on all of them...Which Macross Plus DVD set is it on? Hd remastered?Japan only release? anyone have maybe a youtube clip or maybe something along those lines of it? Is it considered better or worse than the Manga release?

ben

Yeah, like GGemini said, the alternate dub can be found on the DVD sets. However, it is just for Episode 4, Eps. 1-3 are the same as the Manga releases.

There seems to have been some issue with the Manga version of Volume 4 -- I remember at the time reading in a magazine that the really long delay (it was over a year, I think!) in getting the English dub out in the West was because the BGM and SE mixes were misplaced or destroyed and they had to be completely reconstructed and recompiled in Hollywood, which would explain the differing effects and music from the Japanese original.

I always thought that the Japanese LD releases of the Japanese "International Version" that GGemini mentioned only covered volumes 1-3, with Vol. 4 conspicuously absent. However, a couple of years ago, a member here posted an image of *just the disc; not the packaging* of the VHD (neither LD nor VHS, nor DVD) version of Vol.4. Unless I am mistaken. Still, to this day I have never heard nor seen a release of Vol4 on any format otherwise. (For the record, I own 1-3 of the "International Version" Japanese LDs)

Looking here, though...:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B9#.E3.82.A4.E3.83.B3.E3.82.BF.E3.83.BC.E3.83.8A.E3.82.B7.E3.83.A7.E3.83.8A.E3.83.AB.E3.83.90.E3.83.BC.E3.82.B8.E3.83.A7.E3.83.B3

Apparently, Volume 4 WAS released, but 5 years later in March 2000! The series would make its debut on DVD a year later.

I would bet that the content of this release is the alternate English dub. Since 4th volume of the Manga dub was completely produced in the US, its stands to reason that Bandai Visual did not have the rights to use the sound effects from that release domestically, and thus came up with their own solution. That's my theory anyway.

As for personal preferences, in terms of acting, the Manga version is far superior. The alternate one just sounds really off to me, with all the characters rather stiff and unnatural. Although it has been years since I heard it.

I'm actually looking forward to listening to it again, now. But yeah, not to push the panic button too early, but don't be surprised if suddenly Volume 4 sounds nothing like you remember it. :p

Looking here, though...:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B9#.E3.82.A4.E3.83.B3.E3.82.BF.E3.83.BC.E3.83.8A.E3.82.B7.E3.83.A7.E3.83.8A.E3.83.AB.E3.83.90.E3.83.BC.E3.82.B8.E3.83.A7.E3.83.B3

Apparently, Volume 4 WAS released, but 5 years later in March 2000! The series would make its debut on DVD a year later.

Bizarre... has anyone ever seen it? Googling it turns up nothing...

I owned the original LDs, since the international version LDs came out long after the first 3.

I do remember the situation Renato mentioned about the BGM, and I always assumed the Japanese dub was included in the last LD but I had no idea it was never released :wacko:

Anyway, the dub is included in the DVDs :D

"Oh, I've been waiting for you... My pretty girl!"

So I pulled a "flying get" and got my copy this morning, a day before the official release. Here are some pics:

post-1318-0-55889300-1371695495_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-10520700-1371695500_thumb.jpgpost-1318-0-60418800-1371695505_thumb.jpgpost-1318-0-10324100-1371695511_thumb.jpg

Interesting promotional materials which never saw the light of day:

post-1318-0-81848900-1371695515_thumb.jpg

Video quality: I just popped Disc 1 in there, and the picture quality is as awesome as you would expect in keeping with the previous Macross BD releases (I stand by the opinion that the blurriness of some shots in DYRL are due to photography issues), and looks brilliantly clear.

Now, of course the first thing I checked was Episode 4 and the English dub on it. Yes, as I predicted, it's the alternate dub. I won't have time to check out the rest of the extras and stuff for a while, but for what it's worth, yes, you can enjoy Solid Isamu Snake and his crappy over-acting in HD. It should be noted that some of the actors are the same as the original Manga dub and yet also sound like they're over-acting so it's likely an issue with the voice director.

But, but.... MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL......

post-1318-0-25676000-1371695521_thumb.jpg

Yes, yes, YES!! YES!!! It's Orgussmic!

OMFG, ORGUSS!?! Please freakin' BV, have a heart and put subtitles on this set!!

May the gods of BD releases hear you. It would be absolutely awesome to have Orguss with some good subs.

Got the mail that my Macross Plus BD shipped too. Exciting wait now.

Oh, look what we have here. If it isn't the elusive International Version Volume 4... Wikipedia is right after all: released in 2000, five years after the rest.

What, BV, did you only make five of these or something?? <_<

post-1318-0-71634800-1371734634_thumb.jpg

Ugh...I excitedly pre-ordered DYRL Blu Ray. After it ships I find out it's been edited. Excitement level plummets and I never even end up watching it after it arrives. I pre-order Macross Plus blu-ray and I read the 4th episode contains different VO tracks then the other 3. Excitement level plummets.

*sigh* re-thinking any future Macross blu-ray purchases at this point :(

My copy should be arriving in SFO customs soon.

How come they only used the international edition dub for only volume 4?

I'd like to hear Walter White arguing about lunches.

I always thought that the Japanese LD releases of the Japanese "International Version" that GGemini mentioned only covered volumes 1-3, with Vol. 4 conspicuously absent. However, a couple of years ago, a member here posted an image of *just the disc; not the packaging* of the VHD (neither LD nor VHS, nor DVD) version of Vol.4. Unless I am mistaken. Still, to this day I have never heard nor seen a release of Vol4 on any format otherwise. (For the record, I own 1-3 of the "International Version" Japanese LDs)

That would be me. Still haven't found an actual jacket anywhere.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28695#entry856372

Looking here, though...:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マクロスプラス#.E3.82.A4.E3.83.B3.E3.82.BF.E3.83.BC.E3.83.8A.E3.82.B7.E3.83.A7.E3.83.8A.E3.83.AB.E3.83.90.E3.83.BC.E3.82.B8.E3.83.A7.E3.83.B3

Wow, I was wondering when Volume 4 was released. I had no idea it would take that long for it to be produced. Maybe that's why hardly any of the original principal voice actors reprised their roles in the alternate English dub.

And for what it's worth, I don't like the alternate dub. It's a careless performace, almost as if they had to perform the dub in a single take. It's only redeeming value is that it has the original soundtrack arrangement and foley.

To make sure I understand correctly, in the English Dub of Episode 4 of the Blu ray Macross Plus, Brian Cranston does NOT voice Isamu.

Is this right?

If so, I'm either going to sell my blu-rays after they show up and just continue to watch my Manga DVD's. OR, I'll try to rip the video off the Blu-ray and the audio off my Manga and see if I can merge them in Premier. ;)

To make sure I understand correctly, in the English Dub of Episode 4 of the Blu ray Macross Plus, Brian Cranston does NOT voice Isamu.

Is this right?

If so, I'm either going to sell my blu-rays after they show up and just continue to watch my Manga DVD's. OR, I'll try to rip the video off the Blu-ray and the audio off my Manga and see if I can merge them in Premier. ;)

Wait, let me get this straight.

This is a Japanese release of a show unlikely to ever see a BD release outside of Japan. Bandai was under no obligation to cater to anything but the Japanese market yet the went the extra mile and included an English dub on all four OVA episodes and English subtitles (that aren't hard subbed! Yay!) on the the remaster of the movie edition and even (if its consistent with past releases) made it region free and..... The fact that the dub on ONE episode is different you are thinking of selling it? Not taking into account that many here in the forum predicted that this would be the ep 4 dub that would be included because of the precedent set a decade ago with the R2 DVD box and even before that with the International Version LD? Despite the fact that, apart from a gorgeous remaster and having the show the best it will ever look you also get genga reproductions, a booklet with never before seen artwork, and new Hidetaka Tenjin box art?

Despite ALL this, you are thinking of selling it due to the dub on a single episode when, by your own admission, you already own the (vastly visually inferior) DVD version if you ever want to listen to that particular dub anyway?

There's just no pleasing some people I guess.

Edited by Tochiro

Wait, let me get this straight.

This is a Japanese release of a show unlikely to ever see a BD release outside of Japan. Bandai was under no obligation to cater to anything but the Japanese market yet the went the extra mile and included an English dub on all four OVA episodes and English subtitles (that aren't hard subbed! Yay!) on the the remaster of the movie edition and even (if its consistent with past releases) made it region free and..... The fact that the dub on ONE episode is different you are thinking of selling it? Not taking into account that many here in the forum predicted that this would be the ep 4 dub that would be included because of the precedent set a decade ago with the R2 DVD box and even before that with the International Version LD? Despite the fact that, apart from a gorgeous remaster and having the show the best it will ever look you also get genga reproductions, a booklet with never before seen artwork, and new Hidetaka Tenjin box art?

Despite ALL this, you are thinking of selling it due to the dub on a single episode when, by your own admission, you already own the (vastly visually inferior) DVD version if you ever want to listen to that particular dub anyway?

There's just no pleasing some people I guess.

Here's the cool thing about that. What pleases you and what pleases me does not have to be the same thing. It's one of the things that makes being an individual neat -o ;)

Edited by Rabidweezil

Here's the cool thing about that. What pleases you and what pleases me does not have to be the same thing. It's one of the things that makes being an individual neat -o ;)

Not saying that it does. I am saying that in my opinion its terribly sad and depressing to see such a reaction after Bandai FINALLY does right by foreign fans after 30 years of nothing. Because sales and foreign reaction to these releases DOES influence their policies regarding future releases. Oh well, at least you actually bought it. Kudos for that. If you sell it, your loss. And given the visual quality of the BD, I sincerely mean that.

So how much did the fancy box version go for? I haven't been paying attention because I generally can't afford Japanese BD's.

17850yen recommended retail price. Amazon JP preorder knocked it down to 12600yen.

Edited by Tochiro

actually.. It still really puzzles me as to why the OVA are un-subbed.. it's the only factor that's preventing me from leaning either side of the fence.
Sure the movie has english subs, a point that makes me wanna get this, but the OVA has a few minor scenes that were left out of the movie too I believe.

I couldn't really care much about dubbs at all.

Also on a side note, not to whine or anything, but I think it would have been awesome if they had re-edited the movie to include the other scenes from the OVA.. or vice versa..

actually.. It still really puzzles me as to why the OVA are un-subbed.. it's the only factor that's preventing me from leaning either side of the fence.

Bandai Visual doesnt have the rights to the old OVA sub tracks as far as I know. So they put what they could on the disks without incurring any additional (translating, timing, etc) costs.

The subs on the movie are the ones I remember from back in the day (although I dont have access to the old release of the movie edition atm - anyone feel like comparing them?). One thing I found surprising (being able to understand Japanese now, unlike in the mid-90's) is how many lines actually get completely skipped in the sub track. Nothing that breaks it, but a lot of small details missed that's all.

How come they only used the international edition dub for only volume 4?

For the reasons I mentioned? :unsure:

Is this right?

Correct. And that's what I did when I got the series on those DVD collection boxes 1 and 2, several years back. I put the Manga audio on my own copy of Episode 4, and threw the Spanish dub in there for good measure, too. :) Best of ALL worlds! :D

Ugh...I excitedly pre-ordered DYRL Blu Ray. After it ships I find out it's been edited. Excitement level plummets and I never even end up watching it after it arrives. I pre-order Macross Plus blu-ray and I read the 4th episode contains different VO tracks then the other 3. Excitement level plummets.

*sigh* re-thinking any future Macross blu-ray purchases at this point :(

Well, I have been talking about the alternate dub for *years*.... Anyway, there's no real actual "edits", unless you are talking about the new 5.1 mix for the movie. The Stereo audio is there, too, so there should be no problem.

Not saying that it does. I am saying that in my opinion its terribly sad and depressing to see such a reaction after Bandai FINALLY does right by foreign fans after 30 years of nothing. Because sales and foreign reaction to these releases DOES influence their policies regarding future releases. Oh well, at least you actually bought it. Kudos for that. If you sell it, your loss. And given the visual quality of the BD, I sincerely mean that.

17850yen recommended retail price. Amazon JP preorder knocked it down to 12600yen.

I don't expect Bandai to cater to my personal needs. However, when it comes to my $153.23, despite all the fabulous things the set might have, I prefer not to spend my money on "good enough." But each to their own.

For the reasons I mentioned? :unsure:

Correct. And that's what I did when I got the series on those DVD collection boxes 1 and 2, several years back. I put the Manga audio on my own copy of Episode 4, and threw the Spanish dub in there for good measure, too. :) Best of ALL worlds! :D

Well, I have been talking about the alternate dub for *years*.... Anyway, there's no real actual "edits", unless you are talking about the new 5.1 mix for the movie. The Stereo audio is there, too, so there should be no problem.

Thanks for the info Renato. I've seen you mention the alternate dub (and I might have missed a post somewhere) but I didn't think anyone was 100% sure the blu-ray contained it until you mentioned it today. I know you had strong speculation, but it was unconfirmed.

Again though. I appreciate your response. Thank you

I plan on ordering this in a few days, and it'll be my first Amazon.jp purchase. Does anyone have any tips or advice for orders being shipped to the U.S.? Would choosing the cheapest shipping be a bad idea in terms of packaging quality or time? Is there anything else that I should do that would ensure this arrives to me in good condition?

I plan on ordering this in a few days, and it'll be my first Amazon.jp purchase. Does anyone have any tips or advice for orders being shipped to the U.S.? Would choosing the cheapest shipping be a bad idea in terms of packaging quality or time? Is there anything else that I should do that would ensure this arrives to me in good condition?

Amazon JP now only ships EMS or DHL Express for all international orders, after handling fee and shipping fee the total will be Yen 1700, at least that is what they charged me

Mine arrived today, super fast shipping and well packed, BD pack is shrink wrapped and backed by an oversized cardboard, which is then in return housed in a DHL shipping box.