Macross Plus in BD!!! OVA w/ English Dub & Movie w/En

treatment

Great! It's disappointing to hear about the sound quality, though.... Especially since one of the selling points of the Macross Plus BD is the new 5.1 mix of the soundtrack. Maybe they didn't use it? (They played the disc in stereo by mistake? :wacko: )

I didn't notice MP music was remastered one at that time.
Even though it was actually remastered one, it was just like Beatles' remastered CDs released in 2009. Not so better than I had expected.
"It was good for the comparison," I wrote like this on my Facebook page in this morning. So differs from that of MF's.
You decide.
I am looking forward to your own impression. :)

I'm reserving judgement until I know the origin and accuracy of these subs. If memory serves, the Manga subs replaced some Macross terminology with stuff from Robotech.

Really, that's too funny.. How come I keep seeing big black boxes in some people's posts? Are these spoiler tags?

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Yeesh, I stopped paying attention to this a while back when I saw that the movie version wouldn't have subtitles, and today I poke my nose in just to find out it does. :p

How likely is it I can still get the box set? I don't remember how the sales of other sets have gone, but would places like AmiAmi still be selling them after the release date?

Edit: Scratch that, was expecting them to run out of pre-orders... Bandai has made me paranoid. :p So this one is only coming in one set, not standard and limited editions?

Edited by Chronocidal

It's 6:15 in the morning, and I just got back from the theater. Lots of fun, but I wish the seats had a little more legroom...

I was the only foreigner there, and the audience was definitely an old-school group, mostly guys in their forties. Not exactly the Frontier target audience, and I noticed that a number of people left between DYRL and Wings of Farewell. The theater was probably less than half-full.

The movies themselves were awesome, of course. I saw a lot of details in Plus that I never noticed before, like the fact that the arrival and departure signs in the spaceport (when Myung is leaving Eden) were written in Zentradi.

Oh, and the movie is slightly censored... the phone-sex-type talk in Idol Talk ("Glad to be home with you, stroking gently up and down...") is cut out, weirdly enough. Other than that, I didn't notice any issues with the audio. Everything sounded clear. If there was any problem, it was that the audio was cranked pretty high.

DYRL... yes, the BD version. This was my first time seeing it. The edits of course are distracting, as was the "explanation" of the story tacked on to the opening. As I'm sure most people know by now, the picture is mostly good, sometimes blurry... but I have to say I didn't like it. DYRL has always been a very visually dark movie, and here, it seemed almost too colorful. Yellows and reds were especially highlighted. Still, I was grinning like a kid through most of it... I never thought I'd ever get to see DYRL on a big screen.

By about a third of the way through Wings of Farewell, it was getting close to 4:00 AM, and I was getting extremely sleepy.I never drifted off, though, thanks to the general uncomfortableness of the chair, and the fact that as soon as I started nodding, something on-screen would explode REALLY LOUD. I kinda wish I'd gone on a night where they were showing The False Diva, since I haven't seen that on a big screen, either... but Wings of Farewell is a better movie, and it's been a while since I saw it.

So yeah, good times. And although I got tired, I never got bored. If they did something like this again, I'd definitely sign up for it.

Given the US audience for Macross Plus, I wouldn't be at all surprised if people set up screenings across the country at various conventions. You might even get some theaters on the west coast setting up limited screenings. Having the subs and dubs included in the official release will probably make that easier to setup.

Tonights screening just got upgraded with extra guests!

We now have kawamori and the VAs for both Isamu AND Guld.

AND, it's being MC's by Hidetaka Tenjin!

Yup.

As for me, Unsho Ishizuka's name reminds me of Bunta Fujiwara of Initial D.

Here's Tenjin-san's tweet.

post-14942-0-37307400-1368179256_thumb.jpg

Well, Macrross Plus on the big screen was amazing! So much detail! Impressions will be included in the next Macross SpeakerPODcast early next week, with a written report of the talkshow to follow.

Has it been confirmed only film version of Plus has English subs? If so, any reason for this?

Not that I mind since Film > OVA but anyway

Unless they've been keeping it secret for some reason, the OVA is either raw or dub only still.
BW has had the English dub rights for the OVA for years if the Japanese DVDs (which it was also included on) are anything to go by. As for why there are no subs, theres been no official word of course, but Bandai Visuals recent 'more English subs' policy tends to apply only to newer releases (with no potential rights issues) or a few select older theatrical releases (Patlabor movies, Wings of Honneamise, etc).

In all seriousness I don't think official subs exist, but a few fan subs are said to be out there.

Except for the fact that its been available officially on DVD with official English subs for over a decade?
http://www.amazon.com/Macross-Plus-The-Collection-Two-Disc/dp/B0009IOQXK

Why some guys who call themselves "anime fan" always want sub, sub, sub, saying gimme, gimme, gimme out side of Japan?

Never buy it and never learn Japanese.

So weird.

I am surprised that many non-Japanese speak Japanese nowadays. The rate has obviously increased.

I am used to seeing such people in Japan, the guys who never make effort to learn another languages are so dependent and lazy, I think.

Hmm... I think there's a really big difference between people who live a foreign country and refuse to learn the language, and people who simply want to watch a movie that's from that country.

People shouldn't have to learn an entirely new tongue just to sit down and watch a two-hour movie.

Watching a two-hour movie once to kill time is so different.
They are used to watching many animes. Some of them are competing the count how many animes they have watched.

Even though many chances to learn a language, some does not even try to do it... They know some news from Anime News Network, but it is a little late. (Well, now it get much faster than it used to be. I know the reason why, but I will never say about it.) If they subscribed some Japanese sites, they would know it so early.

Well, it got so off-topic. At least when I see a guy who make no effort, I will deal with him as such a guy.

Watching a two-hour movie once to kill time is so different.

They are used to watching many animes. Some of them are competing the count how many animes they have watched.

Even though many chances to learn a language, some does not even try to do it... They know some news from Anime News Network, but it is a little late. (Well, now it get much faster than it used to be. I know the reason why, but I will never say about it.) If they subscribed some Japanese sites, they would know it so early.

Well, it got so off-topic. At least when I see a guy who make no effort, I will deal with him as such a guy.

I understand.

But still, I meet a lot of Japanese people who love Hollywood movies, but they can't speak any English. I think, "Okay, they like movies...that's okay."

Am I doing it wrong? Should I get angry at them for not learning English?

I understand.

But still, I meet a lot of Japanese people who love Hollywood movies, but they can't speak any English. I think, "Okay, they like movies...that's okay."

Am I doing it wrong? Should I get angry at them for not learning English?

You are right. Well, they we usually think they we don't have enough opportunities to speak/ listen to English. And we used to hesitate. But now I know it is just a prejudice. Once I have come to speak English, I remembered what I had learned in school gradually.

Thanks to the Internet, American Forces Radio, and especially Tokyo/ Yokohama/ Yokosuka, I have got used to speaking English better. There are many chances to use English what we don't notice.

Before your anger, please recommend it to some Japanese who hesitate to speak. I think they have learned enough at school, i.e. English grammar and reading, but English is sometimes thought of just some numerical formulas in physics...

Well, sorry for MORE off-topic...

Final versions of the cover:

attachicon.gifPlusCover.jpg

Interestingly, like the Macross 7 boxsets, this is listed as being manufactured for a limited time only: until Dec. 27, 2013. So grab the boxset while you can!

Hey, it's cropped. :( Hmm... I think I'd rather have the full image on the cover.

Interestingly, like the Macross 7 boxsets, this is listed as being manufactured for a limited time only: until Dec. 27, 2013. So grab the boxset while you can!

Masayuki... Not only him, but Anno, and Shinji Higuchi joined MP. They are the main staffs of Evangelion, too. And Megumi Hayashibara.

I recognised her voice so easily. Actually she also is Rei Ayanami's VA when I heard Lucy's voice in MP.

But Houko Kuwashima... When I heard Canaria Berstein's voice in MF, I couldn't believe she also is acting Yuki Mori in Yamato 2199 on May 2nd at the theater.
Edited by antibiotictab

Waiting another month to get my hands on it will feel excruciatingly long. And then I have to wait like a week for getting i through customs and delivered :(

Masayuki... Not only him, but Anno, and Shinji Higuchi joined MP.

Yeah, I think it was mentioned in the talk show event that it was Anno who animated the iconic scene where the YF-21 takes off for the first time. I didn't know that!

I just realized I never got round to posting my impressions of the movie, probably because we recorded a podcast right after.

Anyway, OK, here are my thoughts, briefly.

I thought the movie looked good. I wasn't really blown away, but it looks competent. I assume it's the same remaster as the most recent DVD releases. Maybe because Macross 7's colour palette is much more vibrant, I thought M7 looked much more crisp and vivid than Plus, but we shall see when the actual BDs come and I can watch them at home. It's probably just due to the content. A lot of nice small touches such as sunlight reflections on the water and twinkling distant city lights were there that I never noticed before. Downside is that quite a bit of the CG (especially near the end) just looks even more dated now when you ramp up the resolution.... but that can't be helped.

Soundwise -- The 5.1 mix is pretty good. It makes for a more immersive experience, especially the scene where "Bad Dog" plays (the BGM with the crazy scatting). The scats sounded like they were surrounding you, which leads me to believe that they not only remixed the movie's audio tracks, but they went back to the original elements for the BGM and played about with those, too, separating them into various channels. Quadrophenia, whoo! :p As far as I can tell, it is the first time they have done that for any Macross movie (the BGMs tend to be stereo).

Now here's something that I totally forgot to mention in the podcast, but was very noticeable for me in the cinema. Gubaba mentioned that the phone sex in "Idol Talk" has been removed. I couldn't tell, but I am quite sure that the stuff that they ADDED to the soundtrack, in terms of effects, was far more noticeable (to me). Quite a few quiet scenes, in particular the spooky, mostly silent scenes with Sharon staring, etc., have been given eerie hissing/buzzing sounds to up the ambience. However, it just reminds me of schlocky horror flicks, so I didn't care for that at all. Maybe I'll get used to it, but it was definitely jarring.