The bits about fear from the trailer are adapted pretty blatantly from dianetics. More than a few critics have picked up on the scientology message of the movie.

And no one is talking about scientology. It's a movie that uses scientology tenants as main themes of the movie. Just like if we were talking about a moses movie than discussing how the torah is incorporated into the movie would be at play.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Is there more "scientology" then just the "Fear is a choice" bit. THAT particular idea is pretty much universal "I will have no fear though I walk..." (can't think of quotes from other religions but I know they exist for nearly every one).

It looks like M. Night Shyalaman should quit directing.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 12% - After Earth is dull, ploddingly paced exercise in sentimental sci-fi -- and the latest setback for director M. Night Shyamalan's once-promising career.

And yet it has a 93% I want to see it.

I guess that people just want to see it anyhow. Either that or all the Scientologists in the world have clicked the + button, as the count when i looked was 50342 clicks.

I may see it anyhow but I do struggle to believe that after 1000 years of human absence the animals have evolved so much and that all traces of man are gone.

Evolution takes 10's of thousands of years to anything worth a damn other than a slight colour change or resistance to diseases etc.

Giant Eagles and other strange Zebra/deer just wouldn't be that quick at evolving.

The Pyramids are over 4000 years old and although they have had some work done in more recent years have survived well in one of the worlds most hostile environments for a buildings perspective.

There had better be some plot direction for why this is the case in the film, other wise epic fail AFAIK

Fear will keep the local systems in line... Fear of this battle station.

(My mind always goes to this quote before Yoda's)

Prequels quotes almost always come second to the OT. Plus, it's really just him spouting limp-wristed Jedi nonsense that looks weak in the face of the Sith Code.

Your quote is clearly superior.

Edited by Duke Togo

Wait - I'm confused. Is this thread about a movie or a religion?

movie=religion=science fiction

Too bad it got 12% on Rotten Tomatoes, I was hoping this was going to be a good movie. Guess I'm one of the few who like to watch train wrecks because I'll probably still see this movie....but I'll way for it to come out on Netflicks.

People are commenting that the entire plot looks like an allegory to a lot of scientology's backstory, and how the current earth is populated by a bunch of people who arrived on DC-8's or something like that, after it was destroyed long ago by nukes detonated in volcanoes.

Then again, most of my understanding of scientology comes from South Park, so I wouldn't bet on any kind of accuracy. :p People did say the ship they're on looks enough like an airliner to be a reference to that though.

Personally, I couldn't help shake the feeling that this was meant to actually be before our current time, which would explain the lack of any recognizable landmarks and such, but I haven't seen it myself, and will probably wait for a while anyway.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear it-self" not religion but something I have always used to calm me down when I do something "scary".

I liked the move. I didn't even know M Night directed it until I read it above, here. I wouldn't call it a Big Willy block buster, but better than most of the other crap I've seen. It kept my GF, my 11 year old daughter and my-self interested through most all of the film. even my 8 year old son who sleeps through most movies only slept through about 15 minuets of this movie.

Prequels quotes almost always come second to the OT. Plus, it's really just him spouting limp-wristed Jedi nonsense that looks weak in the face of the Sith Code.

Your quote is clearly superior.

The Sith code is much more appropriate here I think.

I plan to rent this for the sake of watching sci-fi. I don't care about the Scientology references or whatever, it's not like some movie is going to change me. I'm not supporting it at the theaters because Will isn't a big draw for me these days and Jaden riding on his dad's back is getting lame.

^^Nah, this is the message that should be given to Will Smith (pointing out that he's finally become the alien in this scene):

:p

Wow. . . . .he passed up Django for THIS.

I generally have a difference of opinion on movies you guys tear apart but After Earth was bad.

I didn't even notice the Scientology aspect of it, that said, couldn't care less about that.

The CGI was inconsistent throughout the whole thing. Cheap youtube videos literally have better CGI in them. The accents they were trying to portray were annoying. The entirety of this movie could have been done in the first 45 minutes to an hour and then the rest of it should have been about the aliens and their creations instead of them being nothing more than a spoken story and a 10 minute chase-scene-fight-scene-end-of-movie thing it was.

It was boring, slow and so stupidly predictable it hurt.

I thought I was the only one rolling my eyes at the accents. Always thought the premise looked horrible. Never new it was M Night, though... I think they've already stopped using him as if he'd be a draw after the last half dozen clunkers. Just thought the fear line was cheesy, not anything with Scientology. Someone want to spoiler the twist, since I'll probably never bother seeing it?

I thought I was the only one rolling my eyes at the accents. Always thought the premise looked horrible. Never new it was M Night, though... I think they've already stopped using him as if he'd be a draw after the last half dozen clunkers. Just thought the fear line was cheesy, not anything with Scientology. Someone want to spoiler the twist, since I'll probably never bother seeing it?

There is no twist--I checked.

Edited by Duke Togo

Same can be said for 90% of stuff that feature scenes in space.

yes but for at least a good percentage of those scenes in space, there is a compelling story to go along with those sounds in space LOL... at least i hope the total is a good %...

but then again, i'm a Gen-Xer and grew up with Space:1999, TOS, Star Blazers/SBY and Robo.... Robo... MACROSS & Friends....derp

Edited by TehPW