So the question is..

Are they going to pull a Shyamalan on us, and have some amazing secret revealed... or will they pull a reverse Shyamalan, and have the big reveal be that nothing out of the ordinary actually happened?

I can easily see them working in some ridiculous environmental junk, saying humans tried to restore Earth to some prior state, it blew up in their faces, and humans fell to the bottom of the food chain. They probably tried to fix global warming or something.

I want to see an ending where it turns out that this actually happened a few tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago, that they, and whatever rescue team winds up crashing trying to save them, wind up being the first humans to settle Earth. :) Basically, pulling a BSG on us. Then, at the end, they show some ship full of super-advanced humans watching from a flying saucer at all the progress they made. Then they reveal the REAL reason Earth is quarantined, and it turns out to be something like cancer, or AIDS, which only naturally occurs on this planet. :p

Just wondering, but does anyone else think this looks way toooooo similar to Oblivion to be coming out in the same timeframe?

I know there are differences, but the general foundations seem pretty similar (i.e. abandoned earth, etc. etc.)

Movies that are really similar in premise always come out around the same time. The studios do it on purpose.

Movies that are really similar in premise always come out around the same time. The studios do it on purpose.

I wonder why that is, you'd think that having 2 movies with the same premise would kill each movies's chance of standing out/making a profit?

I wonder why that is, you'd think that having 2 movies with the same premise would kill each movies's chance of standing out/making a profit?

Somebody sees one movie, likes it, wants more of that style, and goes to see the other one, too. At least, I assume they're thinking something like that.

Studio money people don't think they way, they think "Movie X is coming out - that will be the next big thing and we have to catch part of that action". There is some truth to it as well, look at the Superhero movie genre at the moment - but at some point they will become "tired" and "stale" and then the next thing will come along. (go back far enough and you have the Cowboy movies, the scifi movies, the monster movies, the counterculture movies of the early to mid seventies)

So the question is..

Are they going to pull a Shyamalan on us, and have some amazing secret revealed... or will they pull a reverse Shyamalan, and have the big reveal be that nothing out of the ordinary actually happened?

I can easily see them working in some ridiculous environmental junk, saying humans tried to restore Earth to some prior state, it blew up in their faces, and humans fell to the bottom of the food chain. They probably tried to fix global warming or something.

I want to see an ending where it turns out that this actually happened a few tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago, that they, and whatever rescue team winds up crashing trying to save them, wind up being the first humans to settle Earth. :) Basically, pulling a BSG on us. Then, at the end, they show some ship full of super-advanced humans watching from a flying saucer at all the progress they made. Then they reveal the REAL reason Earth is quarantined, and it turns out to be something like cancer, or AIDS, which only naturally occurs on this planet. :p

Im with you on that, eaither this or its Earrff from the future and everybody left it ages ago nature bought it back and we dont have piles of rubish and a little robot call Wally.

Studio money people don't think they way, they think "Movie X is coming out - that will be the next big thing and we have to catch part of that action". There is some truth to it as well, look at the Superhero movie genre at the moment - but at some point they will become "tired" and "stale" and then the next thing will come along. (go back far enough and you have the Cowboy movies, the scifi movies, the monster movies, the counterculture movies of the early to mid seventies)

Yeah your right..gonig back far enough I see a pattern forming, I guess it's pretty obvious when you think about it.

It's Will & Tom facing off at the box office( good friends in real life)...I'll take any scifi I can get, prefer Will over Tom but I'll give Tom a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I half expect a twist at the end like they wake up and its some training module to see if they could survive on earth or something. looks average though,I might wait till bluray. Oblivion is more interesting to me.

*edit*

Who knows what sham-a-lam-a-ding-dong gonna do? My guess it that the whole survival thing was a VR simulation and Jayden thought it was real. :o

LOL I just read your post and we thought the same. haha.

Edited by Vepariga

Will Smiff and his son are movie gold.

I loved The Pursuit of Happiness.

Too bad I don't have faith in M. Nyght's movies anymore...that's got me worried...not them.

I'm thinking the opposite about this one, although Shyamalan directed the atrocious adaption of the last airbender I still think he has the ability to make interesting and different movies.

But so far the trailer looks very generic with lots of beautyful scenes packed with CG action but so little story. Basically it reminds me of Lost, minus the character interactions. I hope there's more to it than this, as it wouldn't be the first time he pulls a trick at the last moment right? ;)

• 4 months later...

you would think the scientologists would have figured out by now that people aren't going to go see movies based off of their mythology.

Look, Battlefield Earth was a *GREAT* film and I will NOT hear veiled insults against it!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, Battlefield Earth was a *GREAT* film and I will NOT hear veiled insults against it!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll hit it with a direct insult then! I'd sooner watch Liquid Sky again then Battlefield Earth.

Too bad for AE, it looked so promising, but a 12% Rotten Tomatoes rating makes that a non-starter.

when you make less money that it took to make it (right away) does that mean the actors OWE the production? Derp. gotta admit, Cars and crashing C-5 Galaxy's beat an actual Galaxy...derp.

Actors at Smith's level in Hollywood are usually play or pay meaning no matter what they just get money even if the film fails. The more accurate scenario is yes unless M. Night starts using his own money for projects he is dead in the Hollywood water