New Dragon Ball Z Movie

Was puttering around on the DB wiki and found a few things.

First, the new movie is called Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. The new poster shows SSJ Goku fighting some cat-like purple creature with Egyptian-esque garb while a Kai-like being floats in the background. Not at all sure what this means. Scans from a magazine say that the cat alien is called Bills and the Kai or pseudo-Kai or whatever he is, is called Wiss.

And apparently DBKai will be finishing out the Buu Saga, funnily enough, because of demand from outside of Japan.

"Mayumi Tanaka, posted news on her blog confirming that Dragon Ball Kai will be continuing, as voice work was already under way for the early stages of the Majin Buu story arc. Her post goes on to specify that the series revivial is for the overseas market, and as of the time of her post there are no plans to air the new episodes in Dragon Ball's home country of Japan."

OK, I don't really understand... there are no plans to air it in Japan, yet they are recording the voice work in Japanese? I am sure eventually they will air it in Japan.

It was great when I was a kid. I know the storyline is pretty stupid but when you're a kid and see a bunch of powerups and crap blow up. What's there not to like? I can't wait to see the new movie. The online special they had a few years back gave a good nostagic feeling when I watched it.

It was great when I was a kid. I know the storyline is pretty stupid but when you're a kid and see a bunch of powerups and crap blow up. What's there not to like? I can't wait to see the new movie. The online special they had a few years back gave a good nostagic feeling when I watched it.

Not enough robots. I always preferred watching Gundam on Toonami as a kid.

I loved DBZ when I was a kid but yes, they do drag things out a bit and it gets really annoying. I haven't watched but one or two episode of Kai but it's supposed to cut out all the fillers. Do they cut out all the unnecessary fight scenes??

I made a thread about DBZ Abridged but no one posted. Funniest thing related to DBZ. It's a must watch for DBZ fans.

Not sure what to think about this new Cat God guy but I'll watch it anyways.

Accordingly, the reason why the Dragon Ball Z anime was heavily dragged out was because the manga took much longer than the anime to produce, hence why the studio needed to come up with filler episodes on its own while the manga production was trying to catch up. Given this, I think Kai is definitely worth a watch.

Dragon Ball Z was a big hit back then because the fighting styles and the concept of Super Seiyan were quite creative and revolutionary at that time (similar to the wire-fu and bullet time of Matrix). Its influence was clearly evident in many copycat animes during the 90's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Lobizon - nice find!

I came across some posters for the film while at the cinema on Friday night - no be honest I'm not a fan of the cat-god-of-destructions face. It just looks so...not Dragonball ^^;

Exactly what I'm thinking. In fact I was so disappointed about that Cat-face character design. I dunno, I just feel like he was like a random character from Looney Tunes. =\

WOW! This brings back so many memories, I might just shed manly tears. I grew up on DBZ (thanks to toonami), and it was one of the first anime's that me and most of my generation got into.

Looking back, DBZ was pretty....jouvenile in terms of plot, but I'll be watching this, if anything, for pure nostalgia alone :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just came out of the cinema. The new DBZ was a bunch of fun and fan service (in a good way). And Bills could well be one of my new favorite characters. He has explosive alarm clocks :-D

What most impressed me was the animation. Good god, is it a beautiful movie. Finally, DBZ looks as good on screen as it always has in my imagination. Movie is absolutely gorgeous.

And Bills is just cool. I really hope to see him in a new DBZ fighting game. A new, good, DBZ fighting game. Emphasis on that last point.