My recommendation would be to find a group of friends that you can play regularly with, get to know each others styles, and develop some kind of strategy. I know when playing a map with vehicles on it I always bring a plasma pistol for the overcharge/EMP secondary ability and sticky grenades since they are great at blowing up vehicles.

My recommendation would be to find a group of friends that you can play regularly with, get to know each others styles, and develop some kind of strategy. I know when playing a map with vehicles on it I always bring a plasma pistol for the overcharge/EMP secondary ability and sticky grenades since they are great at blowing up vehicles.

No time, too busy grinding AR kills. 1113 left to go :wacko:

Finished the Covenant Destroyer commendation. 10,000 xp and the Orbital AEON armor were unlocked. You would figure they would give you something snazzy and not just a new paint scheme on a crappy looking armor.

ugh, I'm super frustrated with war games right now. I'm still grumbling over the loss of King of the hill as a playlist, and ever since this infinity challenge thing has started things have been no fun at all. There's basically nobody playing anything but slayer and swat, and those playlists are full of nothing but lag spikes and boltshot/scattershot/shotgun/sword campers. I just want to finish the UNSC loadout commendation man, is that too much to ask?

No, no it's not. I hopped into the Crimson playlist hoping to get some achievements but no one picks the maps I need and when they do, they won't cooperate by dying. Idiots are always shooting back and not playing for Team Benson.

That's all great in theory except that's never how games play out on that map. 9 times out of 10 matches go something like this: Someone on each team grabs a mantis and everyone else rushes for better weapons; within 30 seconds everyone who didn't get a rocket or laser is dead, all of those weapons are depleted and at least one team has a mantis with 50% health or better, At this point whichever team still has a working mantis now has enough firepower to tie down the other team long enough to get control of the majority of the ghosts on the map and from then on the other team is boned. Once one team has vehicle superiority it's pretty much all over for the other team because the guys with the mantis/ghosts can just pin the other team down in D/E where they can't do crap to try and recover because any attempt to make a break for it results in instant death. And because all vehicle spawns are in open areas outside, once one team has vehicles and control of that area they can just keep taking fresh vehicles whenever they spawn in.

That's not my "real world" experience. Then again I tend to play with a group of guys who focus completely on Slayer 24/7 since the days of Halo 2 or 3 (several are +100sr without playing anything but infinity slayer.) First, vehicles are not the scourge they used to be because of the loadout system + ordnance delivery. Now that everybody can have covy pistols and stickies to start or get the spartan laser/rockets, ghosts and other vehicles aren't so OP as they once was. I've played plenty of games on shatter having your above scenario occur right up to the ghosts being taken, and then winning the match. It might help that I play with teams that don't get rattled easily and actually make the right decisions instead of acting like idiots.

Really the deadliest weapon in that map is the sniper rifle IMO. It locks down map control on your half of the map from the side building they spawn on.

Edited by Noyhauser

I don't like the "just play with a competitive team all the time" solution because a) that kind of defeats the point of online matchmaking IMO and b) that's not how I like to play video games. I like to be able to jump on, shoot some people in the face and jump off whenever I like.

:edit:

I miss the old skill based matchmaking of halo 3. If you were having a bad day, the game would just give you increasingly bad people to play against until you started doing well again.

:edit:edit:

Also the thing about the sniper rifle is at least that takes some semblense of skill to use effectively where as the mantis can just decimate teams without any kind of effort on the part of the driver.

Edited by anime52k8

I don't have one "group of friends" that I play with though. There are 20 people on my friends' list who I tend to see who is on and join them mid-session. I'll join one group, bring some friends, over to play big team, or join one guy and his friends. Its really flexible; I can "jump on" and "jump off" with almost no disruption, and I don't deal with noobs. And they aren't all superstars either... but I can be sure they won't shoot me in the back and are pretty reliable in the game

I also really disagree with the view that playing with friends "defeats the point of online matchmaking." I see it as being essential to matchmaking and one of the key attractions of Halo. Its the reason why in a game of shatter its not too hard to survive without power weapons. You work together as a team to win matches, without the drag of playing with some idiot trying to troll you.

I've got like 9 people on my friends list total. Of those, three are people from here and they're the only people I know who play halo and I hardly ever see them playing war games. And if I could get enough people together for a game I'd rather be playing co-op or custom game modes. Normally I don't even play slayer but that's the only game mode that has people playing where I can get the AR/frag kills I need.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a funny encounter during matchmaking today. I was playing a round of Slayer and end up in a lobby with a guy with the gamer tag "IAMROBOTECH". He was an unbelievable pussy who spent half the match hiding in corners with active camo and a boltshot. :p

I just finished the campaign today (got it for Xmas) fantastic. Altho it did make me think of Cybertron in some parts or Tron lol A solid entry in the saga. I'm up for some multi if anyone wants to play some day. my gamer tag is the same as my user name,all caps though. :)

... He was an unbelievable pussy who spent half the match hiding in corners with active camo and a boltshot. :p

So he was a campin' fegget. Every game has got 'em... Anybody use the sticky detonator on him and run away with a "LOL"?

• 3 weeks later...

F**K YES!!! UNSC LOADOUT MASTERY, DONE!!!

And just in time for episodes 6-10 of spartan ops. ^_^

Capture-1_zps02beaa0d.png

(Fun fact, I got the last 128 frag grenade kills I needed to finish off this commendation in two back-to-back 4 hour play sessions)

:edit:

BTW, if you haven't been playing in a while, come join the community forge test. It's all new map variants that nobody's played yet. Some of the maps are pretty crazy.

Edited by anime52k8

I just hit level 130 two days ago. Now I need something else to play .

I'd really like to see them add two more specializations and bring the level cap up to 150. oddly, it's mostly because I want weapon skins for the lightrifle and storm rifle. I just think it's kind of lame that the AR gets two skins, the BR gets two skins, but the light rifle only gets one that you have to buy an entire console to get and the storm rifle gets nothing.

Anyways, I'm just glad I got all the major grinding done before school started up again. Now I just need to keep up with Spartan Ops and I might even have time for DS3. ^_^