random thought: at least in the campaign, I find the weapon set of this game kind of odd. For one, I really miss brute weapons. I know the brute shot has a sort of equivalent with one of the new covenant weapons, but that big old launcher was fun, and it's not like the haven't got semi-redundant weapons in other cases anyways. I also miss things like the revolver shotgun and the SMG's. Admittedly they're both kind of useless without dual wielding, but that's another thing I kind of miss.

I also don't understand why they made the BR semi-auto AND included the DMR, so now you've got 4 different semi-auto guns with high cap mags and low power scopes (5 if you count the magnum).

Also, between the lack of dual-wield and the flood not showing up at all in campaign, a lot of the human weapons feel really pointless. The shotgun is kind of worthless now and the magnum is completely redundant with how readily available the BR is.

I'm not saying I don't think the game has been awesome, but gun-play variety was not one of it's strong points. Fortunately the actual story was epic enough to completely make up for that.

I'd have to agree that it's easy to look at the Halo 4 guns with a critical eye. I don't want to be misunderstood, as the game is fun and the weapons all function in enjoyable ways. But more than any other game in the series, Halo 4 seems to be at a loss to properly identify and fufill roles for the myriad of weapons in the game. So many guns do not feel distinctive enough to justify their existence. Perhaps it's better to say so many guns mimic the function of each other that it can be difficult to tell them apart or to even develop any preference for one over another.

Halo 4 also has a bad habit of simply throwing weapons at the player en masse. There are no slow reveals or level-appropriate introductions for any of the weapons. They are simply thrown at the player's feet, often several new ones at a time. It almost feels like the creators had so many new guns and didn't know how to make them all fit into the order of battle. So they started being introduced almost at random.

I will say the Halo 4 guns are all fun to shoot and they look good. I am happy none of them suck so bad that you actively avoid them (which was the case in some of the earlier Halo games). But I also feel like the functionally refined "role" each weapon had in the other Halo games is kinda lost here. With that functional role missing, some of the effectiveness of those weapons is lost. Instead of some weapons being really good for certain situations/enemies while less effective for others, most weapons now feel like general purpose guns able to be used for most situations/enemies.

Perhaps it's better to say so many guns mimic the function of each other that it can be difficult to tell them apart or to even develop any preference for one over another.

Definitely this. I found I was using semi-auto rifles more than 50% of the time, whether it be the BR, the Covenant Carbine or the Light Rifle. and they all felt almost identical save for a slight buff to the carbine against elites and a slight buff to the Light RIfle against Knights. The only gun I could say I actively avoided was the boltshot pistol.

Some quick thoughts here. I also avoid the boltshot. I think the human shotgun is worthless. I carry one of the scoped mid to long weapons at all times. I rarely use power weapons unless it's on legendary difficulty.

Offhand -- The DMR and BR are very similar, but used for different playstyles. DMR is more for long ranged, deliberate fire. BR gives a good mix of accuracy vs. close-in firepower. It's a good gun but needs a certain playstyle.

Human shottie, it's still a powerful weapon but its rarity in SP (early part) and MP makes it hard to use. Some MP maps also makes a mockery of the shottie -- I've came across a shottie on Raganork before and it's not very useful there.

Covenant Carbine is nice, better in some areas than the DMR. Storm rifle, not my cup of tea but still decent. Plasma pistol remains a good stand in due to its EMP effect.

Boltshot is difficult to use well. It's, IIRC, like the plasma pistol in that you can either plink with it or power it up to shoot for more damage. Problem is that it's not easy to line shots up with it, and truth be told I like the magnum better for a pistol weapon.

I like the Suppressor, nice and large mag with decent damage. The Light rifle, not so much.

I gotta say, this game has some amazing cutscenes. I just watched spartan ops episode 1, it's pretty amazing.

BTW, where do I go to customize my character? I've yet to figure that out.

NVM, figured it out.

also, the mantis in king of the hill is ridiculously overpowered.

Edited by anime52k8

something kind of annoying I just noticed while customizing my armor: The Legs armor that came with my gamestop preorder are glitched on the female body type such that they they show the default color layout rather than the forest camo.

something kind of annoying I just noticed while customizing my armor: The Legs armor that came with my gamestop preorder are glitched on the female body type such that they they show the default color layout rather than the forest camo.

I got the same pre-order bonus but have yet to see it. Is it only available for the "She-Spartan"?

I got the same pre-order bonus but have yet to see it. Is it only available for the "She-Spartan"?

no, it's there for both. did you enter the code from your receipt? if you did and then downloaded the skin

:edit:

btw, had a great time last evening, thanks for getting me through some legendary missions.

and going back to a point I made earlier; I just noticed that the BR is in fact still 3 round burst and not semi-auto like I thought. I also just noticed that the light rifle is both semi-auto AND 3 round burst depending on whether you're hip firing or using the scope. Of course both have such ridiculously high rates of fire and because the light rifle consumes the same amount of ammo either way, it feels exactly the same if they where semi-auto all the time.

Edited by anime52k8

I was watching legendary difficulty speed runs for Halo 4 on Youtube last night and came across the codes for almost 20,000 in XP and some armor. Look for Youtube user Nak3dhalo. He had a bunch of great videos.

That was a good little piece of info there Benson, good find.

This made my Spartan jump from a LVL 10 to a LVL 14, but I couldn't unlock ALL of those codes since I have not done any of the Spartan OP missions on Legendary, let alone defeated the game on Legendary.

That was a good little piece of info there Benson, good find.

This made my Spartan jump from a LVL 10 to a LVL 14, but I couldn't unlock ALL of those codes since I have not done any of the Spartan OP missions on Legendary, let alone defeated the game on Legendary.

Just send me a game invite and I'll come punish some aliens with you.

So I just put my Xbox online and signed up for LIVE Gold. I've spent the last 3 hours blowing the crap out of other people on multiplayer and I have to ask WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!?!

Srsly. Tons of fun :)

Now, I'm an utter, complete, total noob at this. Anyone here willing to friend up and help a Spartan out? I'm also looking for partners for Spartan Ops.

(gawd, this feels like TOR all over again. "LFG LFG LFG...")

Cory and I just had an awesome Spartan Ops session. We beat all the first Episodes chapters on legendary and then I finished the last campaign level on solo legendary for the Lone Wolf Legend achievement.

Man, multiplayer is buggy. Playing a match and our side is up by a hundred at around 600 points, suddenly game goes laggy and I'm staring at the lobby, game restarts but now red is at 980, 10 seconds later the game is over.

Wow, never heard of that happening. Hopefully it works out in your favor next time.

Man, multiplayer is buggy. Playing a match and our side is up by a hundred at around 600 points, suddenly game goes laggy and I'm staring at the lobby, game restarts but now red is at 980, 10 seconds later the game is over.

Yeah, I've had that happen to me as well. For a while I thought it was my internet connection and/or network, but now I hear it's happening to other people as well. And I lost my two best performances to that bug...

Is anyone up for hitting Spartan Ops Episode 2 tonight? I'm thinking Legendary, but only with help :)

Yeah, I've had that happen to me as well. For a while I thought it was my internet connection and/or network, but now I hear it's happening to other people as well. And I lost my two best performances to that bug...

Is anyone up for hitting Spartan Ops Episode 2 tonight? I'm thinking Legendary, but only with help :)/>/>

I wouldn't blame your internet at all. Even though you're in Canada you hosted those 5 games we played just fine. Neither my friend or I had any lag what so ever and we're in the US. That was a server issue.

Edited by Benson13

Is anyone up for hitting Spartan Ops Episode 2 tonight? I'm thinking Legendary, but only with help :)/>

I'll be home in about 1hour 15 min. If you're still on send me an invite. When do you think you'll be getting a mic?

Just took on Spartan Ops Episode 2 with Benson. Let me preface by saying that Legendary is *so* much easier with three or four players. 2 players means dying. Lots and lots of dying. Dying couple with the worst spawning of all time. Die, respawn in the middle of combat, and have an elite kill me again almost as soon as I spawned in. Repeat x a billion :)

Still, rediculous amounts of fun. Thanks a lot, Benson!

I got lucky with a few good spawns. There was 3 times where I was spawned right behind an elite and all I had to do was take 2 steps and assassinate him. Other than that, spam grenades and run in dropping shields so Cory could lay down some accurate fire with his rifle and kill them. Oh, and then die, rinse, repeat.