so... a subbed version of the DYRL 30th anniversary BR?

Skull Leader

Ok, so I'm old enough (membership wise) to know better... but nothing came up when I searched "DYRL 30th annversary blu ray subtitles", and a few pages of searching haven't turned up what I'm after.... so at the risk of ridicule from my peers, I'm gonna claim internet defeat and ask:

has anyone put together a subbed version of the DYRL 30th anniversary blu ray? If so, is there any way to acquire it without having to burn it ones self? (I don't have a blu-ray burner). I'd really like to own the original for the video quality, but the prohibitive price and lack of subtitles are a major no-go for me (I speak Japanese like a 3-year old)

please tell me I'm not stuck with my perfect-edition knockoff DVD... the video quality is nice enough, but the subtitles are wretched!

Edited by Skull Leader

I wouldn't be surprised if and when a bootleg subbed version comes out. I wish it was done officially but all the legal stuff will probably go on forever at this point. I hate bootlegs too. The only thing worse than a bootleg is someone passing off a bootleg as original. Which I've seen happen too many times. Even at conventions where you think it wouldn't happen.

What's worse about subbed versions is when you know that what they said is not what is written at the bottom of the screen.

I have two versions on DVD of DYRL and both have vastly different subs.

Is it even possible to change the Subs on a blueray ?

There is a guide here on MW on how to do it to the DVD version, I must get round to it one day.

The holly grail is a subbed and English voiced version. But that's never gonna happen officially.

This site is an amazing fount of Macross information.

However, if you don't search for it, you won't find it.

LOL

I dont know about everyone else I find it easier to ask you, EXO or David Hingtgen. :p

It has always puzzled me why BW doesn't just add English subs to their BD releases?

I own a copy of the international releases of the Macross Plus set where they went so far as to include an English Dub track as well.

Release "International" versions with no region coding and let the world buy directly from Japan...

Subs are relatively cheap, and they increase the international sales appeal as well as it totally bypasses the HG blockades, because imports from other countries cannot be stopped by Harmony Gold's legal tangle over their ill gotten Macross trademarks. Those only prevent domestic distribution of the Macross branded properties, not imported items...

Edited by Zinjo

It has always puzzled me why BW doesn't just add English subs to their BD releases?

I own a copy of the international releases of the Macross Plus set where they went so far as to include an English Dub track as well.

Release "International" versions with no region coding and let the world buy directly from Japan...

Subs are relatively cheap, and they increase the international sales appeal as well as it totally bypasses the HG blockades, because imports from other countries cannot be stopped by Harmony Gold's legal tangle over their ill gotten Macross trademarks. Those only prevent domestic distribution of the Macross branded properties, not imported items...

Actually that is EXACTLY what Bandai IS doing these days with Blurays since US/JPN are the same region. The one caveat is that they avoid including English subs on older shows that may have unresolved rights issues - ie, Macross, the original Yamato, etc.

I've mentioned this in a previous thread at some point, but to date the following have all had English subs on Blu:

Yamato 2199

Gundam Unicorn

Gundam Age

Gundam Seed remaster

Haruhi

Tiger & Bunny

Library Way

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Mardock Scramble 2nd movie

Patlabor movies (all 3)

Akira,

Wings of Honneamise

Jin-Roh

Tenchi Muyo movies

Garden of Sinners

Baccano

Fate Zero

So its a trend that will probably increase as japanese companies try to export the japan business model to the US (niche product/hardcore fans/maximum priced premium editions only) and as they come to realise that the younger generation of anime fans outside of Japan apparently dont buy things anymore.

Don't expect this to happen with any Macross properties anytime soon though.

Edited by Tochiro

• 3 weeks later...

Actually that is EXACTLY what Bandai IS doing these days with Blurays since US/JPN are the same region. The one caveat is that they avoid including English subs on older shows that may have unresolved rights issues - ie, Macross, the original Yamato, etc.

I've mentioned this in a previous thread at some point, but to date the following have all had English subs on Blu:

Yamato 2199

Gundam Unicorn

Gundam Age

Gundam Seed remaster

Haruhi

Tiger & Bunny

Library Way

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Mardock Scramble 2nd movie

Patlabor movies (all 3)

Akira,

Wings of Honneamise

Jin-Roh

Tenchi Muyo movies

Garden of Sinners

Baccano

Fate Zero

So its a trend that will probably increase as japanese companies try to export the japan business model to the US (niche product/hardcore fans/maximum priced premium editions only) and as they come to realise that the younger generation of anime fans outside of Japan apparently dont buy things anymore.

Don't expect this to happen with any Macross properties anytime soon though.

Look into the releases of the latest Miyazaki films, I believe they also come with the Japanese commissioned dubs as well as subs.

• Howl's Moving Castle
  • My Neighbour Totoro
  • Castle in the Sky Laputa.

I am not sure but it is what I've heard around.

As for the rights issues, I see no issues, it is not like subs and dubs of Macross and Yamato titles have never been done for domestic consumption before. So a precedent exists. Particularly on titles like Zero, Plus and Frontier where no rights questions exist.

Look into the releases of the latest Miyazaki films, I believe they also come with the Japanese commissioned dubs as well as subs.

Studio Ghibli is in-bed with Disney. They're definitely the exception, not the rule.

As for the rights issues, I see no issues, it is not like subs and dubs of Macross and Yamato titles have never been done for domestic consumption before. So a precedent exists. Particularly on titles like Zero, Plus and Frontier where no rights questions exist.

Except for the big ugly one concerning the title of the franchise. Ie: it's not "Zero", but "Macross Zero", etc..

Don't get me wrong, a subbed version would be nice. But aside from the language issues, how many of these companies even bother with Japanese subtitles for the domestic market? (A point that, if memory serves, Tochiro brought up before.)

Don't get me wrong, a subbed version would be nice. But aside from the language issues, how many of these companies even bother with Japanese subtitles for the domestic market? (A point that, if memory serves, Tochiro brought up before.)

This is actually a really good point -- I remember a while back a (Japanese) user on Amazon.co.jp was giving pretty much every DVD /BR a one-star only review just because it didn't have Japanese subtitles. On every one, he explained that his uncle (or some relative, don't remember) was hard of hearing and he really wanted him to enjoy these shows, but NONE of them had subtitles.

This is a stark contrast to many, if not MOST English-language DVDs which often have *both* English subtitles and "English for the hearing-impaired" subtitles. Then you have the insane ones like some of the European releases of Seinfeld which has 19 (nineteeeeen!) sets of subtitles (although several of them are due to some commentary tracks), and two or three dubs. That again is because they manufacture many units of the same DVDs and later split them up in different packaging for the different regions. Yeah, none of that is going to happen in Japan anytime soon.

We're all better off putting our own subs. Although I still have no clue how to do that. Is there a step-by-step somewhere?

Also, I just remembered -- it is now illegal (as in, a punishable offence) to rip a DVD in Japan. Yeah.

This is actually a really good point -- I remember a while back a (Japanese) user on Amazon.co.jp was giving pretty much every DVD /BR a one-star only review just because it didn't have Japanese subtitles. On every one, he explained that his uncle (or some relative, don't remember) was hard of hearing and he really wanted him to enjoy these shows, but NONE of them had subtitles.

This is a stark contrast to many, if not MOST English-language DVDs which often have *both* English subtitles and "English for the hearing-impaired" subtitles. Then you have the insane ones like some of the European releases of Seinfeld which has 19 (nineteeeeen!) sets of subtitles (although several of them are due to some commentary tracks), and two or three dubs. That again is because they manufacture many units of the same DVDs and later split them up in different packaging for the different regions. Yeah, none of that is going to happen in Japan anytime soon.

We're all better off putting our own subs. Although I still have no clue how to do that. Is there a step-by-step somewhere?

Also, I just remembered -- it is now illegal (as in, a punishable offence) to rip a DVD in Japan. Yeah.

IIFC One DVD set I have was almost as much subs and alt dubs and extras as it was film/episodes when I ripped it to my media server, I love my DVD ripping software with it's options to include or exclude sound tracks and extras, it always knocks at least a couple of gigs off the size of the export. Plus the films or what ever start imediately with none of that fluff and crap and trailers at the begining.

Isnt it kinda still illegal in most of the world to rip DVD's and Blu-rays ? Not that most people care or get punished for it.

Edited by big F

Hey Big F, what are you using to rip your stuff? Can it do bluray? I have the WDTV live and I just love the thing. I'm ripping all my media to a 3TB HD and I'm gonna shove all the cases in a box and put them i the garage.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are able to make or time simple scripts with Aegisub, you only need a few extra steps to add subs to BD. If you have questions PM me to make sure I see your question.