Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Old_Nash

Which year was that from? Because, I mean, if you already have Frank Oz there anyways, but you don't have Yoda...

That episode was on TV in February of 1980, hence the reason why Yoda wasn't in the episode. Out of all the episodes of the Muppet Show, this is the one that I remember watching the most from its original airing.

Owning Hasbro, well they are going after all the trump cards there then. Next step would be one of the larger anime houses or maybe Matel or Takara.

Monopoly ??? no wait Hasbro own that :p

So.. wait. The mashup/crossover potential here is ridiculously massive.

You could have G.I. Mickey teaming up with Luke Skywalker, Optimus Prime, and....

Lightning. And they wind up fighting Caius Ballad, who teams up with Megatron and the Emperor.

My brain can't even contain the epically insane levels of awesome and nonsense that could be introduced in a new Kingdom Hearts game if this happens.

I mean, the only thing that could top this is if Disney goes off and acquires Bamco and Gainax. Then we can have Gurren Lagaan, Shining Gundam, and Eva Unit-1 duking it out with Megatron and Sephiroth on the surface of the freaking Death Star. While Jetfire flies around taking out Tie Fighters with Luke and Mickey leading a squadron of Skystriker F-14s.

My brain hurts now.

I mean.. seriously here. We're about to come within a few inches of there being an actual "Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" Stop the world please, I'd like to get off. :lol:

(my freaking brain.. I just imagined Disney Evangelion. Don't ask.)

Edit: Also, I apparently broke the forum posting this.. it turned into a massive mess of html when I typed it out. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni40077542/

One of the exciting prospects for veteran Spielberg poducer Kathleen Kennedy as the new president at Disney-owned Lucasfilm is that she is more than capable of developing a strong script and luring gifted filmmakers to the planned "Star Wars" franchise reboot. Even without a script on hand, directors are lining up.

Director Matthew Vaughn ("Kick Ass," "Layer Cake" and "X-Men: First Class") is rumored to be in talks to direct the newly announced "Star Wars: Episode VII," having recently dropped out of the next "X-Men" installment (old hand Bryan Singer is taking the reins). The news of "Episode VII" came last week during Disney's announcement of the major purchase of Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion.

Meanwhile, Harrison Ford says he is open to the idea of playing Han Solo again in "Episode VII," which reportedly takes up decades after 1983's "Episode VI" left off. Presumably the older trio would hand off the story to a younger generation, a tried-and-true approach to rebooting a franchise, much as a senior Spock (Leonard Nimoy) did in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek."

EW reports that not only Ford, but "all three"--including Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker and Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia--are interested in being involved with the upcoming Star Wars film. EW speculates that if Ford were to draw up a new contract, it would involve a mandatory death scene for Solo. The character was originally meant to die in "Return of the Jedi," but according to Ford, his bankability as an action figure kept Solo alive.

Check out our breakdown of studio-owned franchise characters here.

:ph34r:

That would be SO much hotter if she was in her Hoth costume or her slave girl outfit!~

Now Disney rumored to be buying Hasbro, thus Transformers.

Is that Rick Hunter flying in the red and white veritech?

It just says Harrison Ford is offering his services. Not that he was called by Disney. It pretty much is a hopeful rumour.

Personally I don't want him back. New trilogy, new setting, like a century later.

What about the fate of Star Wars LEGO? Does this mean that renegotiation is on the cards for that??

Considering that Disney and Lego have deals for Pixar films, the Lone Ranger, just means Star Wars will be absorbed.

Remember Disney brought the whole of Lucasart, meaning the present contracts as well. In no way can they alter any present agreement.

Just last month Legoland in Orlando just anounced the a big Star Wars expansion to their new park there so maybe Lego is also in Disney's sights. Who knows at this point?

If you're saying Disney will buy Lego, very much doubt it as it sustains the Danish economy.

Edited by Omegablue

All I'm saying is I have a hard time seeing Disney just let a very big competitor to their Orlando parks get bigger with the help of their newest acquisition, but the again I think Universal Studios Orlando still has some Marvel based rides so I'm probably wrong.

Disney should rather buy Macross to distribute internationally. It will have more potential in merchandise, and they have the resources to produce live action films.

VF-1S with Mickey Mouse ears anyone? Maybe a Regult with a duck's beak. :lol:

Disney should rather buy Macross to distribute internationally. It will have more potential in merchandise, and they have the resources to produce live action films.

VF-1S with Mickey Mouse ears anyone? Maybe a Regult with a duck's beak. :lol:

Don't make me have sickness nightmares XD

I won't be worried about any of the existing contracts between LucasFilm/Arts and other companies (Dark Horse Comics, LEGO, etc). Disney will, most likely, honor those contracts until those rights expire. Considering they just spent $4 billion buying Lucas' company, they probably don't want to spend more to just pull out of the existing contracts. What will happen after those rights expire among the different companies is anybody's guess. Disney may pull out and go on their own or they may continue to extend those rights.

Regarding Matthew Vaughn's departure from X-Men: DoFP

Mark Millar Reveals Why Matthew Vaughn Chose THE SECRET SERVICE Over X-MEN: DOFP

"We thought Matthew was going to do X-Men first, but we found out there were actually a few imitators of 'Secret Service' in the works. People think you're lying when you say you're not trying to get your comics made into movies so quickly, but the two reasons it happens like that is first because it's the best ad for the comic you'll ever have. And for me, selling the book is the most important thing. The second reason is because people are always trying to rip you off. Somebody will start to work on a spec screenplay about your idea. There are three other projects I know of now about a James Bond kind of guy taking a street kid and turning him into a spy. Three screenplays were already going through Hollywood about this! So Matthew and I said, '[frick] this. We're not letting anyone steal our ideas.'"

So Vaughn should probably be put at the end of the list for any new Star Wars as he's probably gonna be tied up elsewhere.

Carrie Fisher--Damn Right I Wanna Be In the New 'Star Wars'

"The upcoming Disney-owned "Star Wars" movie will star a much older Princess Leia ... at least if Carrie Fisher gets her way -- because the actress tells TMZ, she'd love to star in the next installment.

Carrie was at LAX yesterday when we asked if she'd accept a role in "Episode 7" -- currently in development at Disney -- and she said, "Yes. Sure. Wouldn't you?"

It would make sense too -- because "Episode 7" would follow "Return of the Jedi" in the Stars Wars timeline, meaning Leia could conceivably be a lot older in the new movie.

Carrie also said Disney low-balled George Lucas with its $4.05 billion deal -- saying he should've gotten about $500 million more."

Man, I dunno. Carrie is kinda, well, out there...

Edited by Duke Togo

Team up, nothing. After all the nonsense the prequels introduced, the emperor would probably dump Vader for Sephy like last week's laundry. :p

Seeing as Sephiroth is an emo little bitch with MOMMY ISSUESâ„¢, I don't think he's exactly an improvement over Vader.

But a Palpatine and Kefka team up? That'd be a tough combo to beat (assuming they don't kill each other first).