Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Old_Nash

Not only that but back then there werent as many movies realeased each year, and those classics on the list lasted sometimes a year in the cinemas, now a days movies are pulled after couple of months, so that they can realease the bluray quick enough.

Blu-rays don't explain only one film in the top ten in the last 30 years.

I read about that list somewhere before. People were talking about how tons of people used to watch movies back in the day. Still, I'm surprised Avatar and Avengers aren't on that list.

Avatar is somewhere in the top 15 to 20, just ahead of Return of the Jedi.

Avatar is somewhere in the top 15 to 20, just ahead of Return of the Jedi.

Return of the Jedi is still an awesome movie. I remember seeing it on I believe the first Saturday morning and there was a line in front of the theater. Lucas tried to ruin it with that last scene with Luke and Anakin in the Special Edition.

I think the problem was/is George Lucas didn’t like the originals as much as fans. No one knew this until the prequels. I sure didn’t. I was excited for The Phantom Menace too and in many ways Attack of the Clones. I still have promotional magazines like all the Premiere issues. I saw Phantom Menace twice in theaters. I still really like the final Jedi fight. The whole problem was with the story and ignoring/changing stuff in the originals that fans liked. Making the Jedi chumps didn’t help either.

For what it's worth, at the time I saw them, I thought the prequels were pretty awesome too, but I expect a good amount of that was my buying into the hype about them. Well.. II and III at least. Episode I was okay, but my best memories of that entire movie came from the N64 racing game that came out of it (and it's still one of my favorite Star Wars console games to this day).

The thing that killed them for me was that I felt like the characterization just sucked. Qui-gon and Obi-wan managed to do a decent job I think, but everyone else just seemed so apathetic about everyone and everything around them. I mean.. I'm not going to claim the acting in Episode IV was all that great either, but at least they had fun with it, and the characters were a lot more entertaining to watch, specifically because they didn't all get along.

Plus.. I'll never understand what happened to John Williams between ROTJ and Episode I. He seemed to completely abandon the Wagner-ish characterization and melodies used in the original movies, and went completely wacky with percussion, random brass, and whatever else he could find. There's pretty much one theme from each prequel movie that most people actually remember (Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, and... whatever the Obi-wan/Anakin battle theme was called). It's just sad, because Williams ignored so much of what made the original trilogy soundtracks so memorable, and went in a completely different direction.

I kept on telling myself Episode I was fantastic, loved it... but I was only lying to myself like the true fanboy I was at the time. Then by Episode II with the whole boring city chase, the rolling on a green hill, awakened a hatred for the Prequels, one I had not felt since ROTJ.

I liked Episode 3!

Episode 3's biggest problem was it's pacing. Who's idea was it to put the climax at the start of the film?

Episode 2 was much better paced - though the "romantic" dialogue in the middle is... well, I've seen it enough that it's cringe inducing. Hopefully the producer (Kathlen Kennedy, was it?) will use her decades of experience in romantic dialogue, and we'll end up with a Star Wars film like Empire Strikes Back - real people in unreal situations (not the unreal people in unreal situations, if you're wondering...)

So the fact that Vader was built up as this ultimate Jedi killer prior to the prequels, but in Episode III he just kills kids while the almighty Jedi clan falls to a bunch of clones that can't aim, doesn't bother you guys?

So the fact that Vader was built up as this ultimate Jedi killer prior to the prequels, but in Episode III he just kills kids while the almighty Jedi clan falls to a bunch of clones that can't aim, doesn't bother you guys?

Doesn't bother me, because I can clearly see that George Lucas did not have episodes 1-6 thought out in advance as he'd have everyone believe. Additionally, it's fun to torment SW fanbois by pointing out mega plot holes, inconsistencies and just sloppy storytelling. I have to give credit where it's due though; Hayden chopped off Samuel's hand, and any time someone chops off Samuel Jackson's body parts it's a winning thing, in my book...

Edited by myk

Great...another movie to add to the que list! Wait...that's not the Pirahna 3D movie with all of the nekkid girls in it...ugh...

Guess that Shark in Deep Blue Sea must be your favorite actor ever. :lol:

I would prefer they had cast anybody else, even that shark instead of Hayden Christensen. That guy alone ruined those movies for me. His acting skills are on par with Paul Walker: bottom of the barrel at best.

I would sooner accept a younger clone of Palpatine returning......I'm sure we will keep reading about all sorts of rumors that prove to be false all the way up to the release....so too soon to panic I say....

After all those years of plotting, I would think Palpatine would have created a Plan "X" scenario where Luke would have been successful at turning Vader and both going after him together....thus the doomsday scenario where both manage to "defeat" the emperor....but not really defeat "him".... :rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

I would sooner accept a younger clone of Palpatine returning......I'm sure we will keep reading about all sorts of rumors that prove to be false all the way up to the release....so too soon to panic I say....

Agree.

After all those years of plotting, I would think Palpatine would have created a Plan "X" scenario where Luke would have been successful at turning Vader and both going after him together....thus the doomsday scenario where both manage to "defeat" the emperor....but not really defeat "him".... :rolleyes:

Sounds like the obvious formula to the sequel in a ever small universe. You know, 200 million star systems in the Galaxy, but it's the same four planets and the cast of 10... erh, and their clones.

Edited by Omegablue

Although bringing back Vader is pure marketing gold for a franchise built on that character.

And as long as the movie has endless stupid explosions and ships landing, it will beat Avatar in money, even with a lame story. Transformers is evidence of that.

Agree.

Sounds like the obvious formula to the sequel in a ever small universe. You know, 200 million star systems in the Galaxy, but it's the same four planets and the cast of 10... erh, and their clones.

If they can clone The Emperor doesn't that mean they can clone midichlorians too? Just make up huge batches of them and cram it into every single person in the Galaxy and they can all be Superman!

If they can clone The Emperor doesn't that mean they can clone midichlorians too? Just make up huge batches of them and cram it into every single person in the Galaxy and they can all be Superman!

Actually, good point.......the whole cloning/"sith-power to extend life" would need to be further detailed or just ignored........after all, why wouldn't the Emperor simply have cloned Anakin's body? Maybe you can't "clone" midichlorian? Assuming that the midichlorians are what allows for both Jedi and Sith power/abilities.....you could always come up with some BS sith ability that only Palpatine developed that would allow for his "spirit" to "possess" a clone host body AND retain his sith powers????.......knowledge that he did not share as he would only want himself to possess (also having learned that sharing certain things could lead to your demise as it did for his master)......who knows ^_^

This is like an apple rumor...

EX:

"the new iPhone will have an 8 inch screen"

"the new iPod will have a retractable ice scraper"

"the new Macbook will not have a keyboard, it will just be one big touchscreen"

"the new imac will have a terabyte flash drive"

... you guys get the idea

Or it's like all those unbelieveble rumours early on to most films.

- The Joker will not even be mentioned in the new Batman film.

- Loki will be the villain in Avengers.

- Spiderman is going to be rebooted and feature the Lizard.

- There will be a Transformer 4.

- Lucas will never sell StarWars, he's going to give it to his kids.

You guys get the idea. ;)

Due to budget constraints and a failing economy sacrifices will be made in the new Star Wars feature films:

-The Death Star will be downgraded to a Death Moon

-Lightsabers will be replaced with pool noodles

-The Force will be downgraded to a strong persuasion

There will be no refunds for preordered tickets.

Episode 2 was much better paced - though the "romantic" dialogue in the middle is... well, I've seen it enough that it's cringe inducing.

That scene pulled me out of the movie in the theater. First time that's ever happened in a movie and I've seen some bad movies. But in that scene, I thought what was George Lucas thinking? He said on the commentary or in an interview that the scene is supposed to be awkward. But I've seen good movies and TV shows with similar sequences that are still true and in the moment too. Probably because of a combination of good acting and dialog.

One of my biggest problems with the prequels. I thought I mentioned it. I bet Samuel Jackson knew something was wrong. That's why he was out there saying he wasn't going to go out like a chump. Too bad he still did.

I thought what was George Lucas thinking? He said on the commentary or in an interview that the scene is supposed to be awkward.

StarWars isn't about making people feel awkward, there's plenty of Nicole Kidman films that already do that.

I never found the romance scenes to be awkward. I say awkward, goofy stuff to girls all the time and I never have trouble closing the deal.

It's the haircut, my man.

But it's part of the Star Wars canon no?......just like Spiritia and Song Energy is part of Macross canon.......it can't be discounted just because you don't like it....at least not when discussing "possible" plots for the sequels......anything goes

Macross 7 does not exist in this dojo.

That said, I was always amused by the complaints over midiclorians. It was pretty clear in the original trilogy that there was a genetic component to Force sensitivity. Now, does that mean Lucas has to smack us over the head with a "test" for it? Well, no; I think it would have been far more effective if they had simply sensed how strong in the force young Anakin is.

I never found the romance scenes to be awkward. I say awkward, goofy stuff to girls all the time and I never have trouble closing the deal.

So you roll down grassy hills with them and slice their apples with the force? :p

Yes and no. On one hand had it certainly tarnishes the image of Vader as the ultimate Jedi killing machine, but on the other hand it is fitting because that is exactly the cowardice and destruction of innocence that evil typically resorts to.

Also felt like sharing this:post-11511-0-32254900-1353108784_thumb.png

Edited by Freiflug88