Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Old_Nash

I don't get it. The prequels sucked. And it's also reported that George Lucas will still stay on as a Creative Director. So the worlds will still be built with his direction. It's just the scripts will be written by (hopefully) talented people and directed by (hopefully) talented people... but when it was under Lucas there wasn't any hope of that at all. So there's a chance it gets better. Though, in this day and age, why bother with movies? Long form television has been gaining traction and shows like Battlestar have shown you can have compelling sci-fi with pretty damn good production values, and that was on Sci-Fi. If the writing/acting was good and a major network picked it up you could have a REALLY spectacular show.

Here's a funny story; way back when I was younger and first saw the Star Tours ride in Disneyland, I thought they owned the franchise. Now it's true.

There's gotta be some epic Disney-Marvel-LucasArts character crossover brawl being thought up somewhere.

Edited by Einherjar

In my book, this acquisition is a good thing. Lucasfilm is bristling with talent, except at the very top: George Lucas himself. Relegating Lucas to the position of creative consultant strips him of his veto power and will allow other young talents within the company to truly shine. Make no mistake, while Lucasfilm will probably still give Lucas' thoughts considerable weight, Kathleen Kennedy and Disney now have the final say over all matters. And I wouldn't worry about Disney putting a hack like Michael Bay in charge of Star Wars, or 'Disneying' up the movies. As long as Lucasfilm continues to fill Disney's coffers with healthy profits, Disney will be more than happy to let Lucasfilm run Lucasfilm. And Lucasfilm are connoisseurs when it comes to making money.

WOW, I never knew that the Disney castle was on ENDOR!!! LOL!!!

Its the 3rd moon of Endor.

I will be the one MW'er that likes this move. Disney knows what they have, they won't f it up.

I will be the one MW'er that likes this move. Disney knows what they have, they won't f it up.

I agree with A1...regardless of Disney's ownership, Lucas' role as just a "creative consultant" is a good start for the next trilogy.

Edited by Zor Primus

The one? Did you not read the first page of this thread, big dawg?

Ah sh!t.. My brother DT is always with me. How could I have missed your post!

(for everyone else's information, he actually texted me to point out my oversight)

SECOND moon of Endor, to quote Wikipedia.......

"The second moon of Endor, also referred to as the forest moon of Endor, or sanctuary moon, is a moon in the Star Wars universe."

Edit: And here's a thought from a friend, Star Wars Episode 7 - A Michael Bay film. :lol:

Actually, that brings up a good question. Who to direct Episode 7? Personally I think it should be someone like Brad Bird maybe. Good with action AND character development. Any other suggestions?

If only Kathleen Kennedy had been around when the script for AOTC was being kicked about.

Maybe if there was a woman around, we could have been spared some of that atrocious "romance" dialogue (aka what George thinks passes for good romantic dialogue).

As for the Mouse acquiring Lucasfilm. I'm neither happy nor sad about it. Pretty much meh or ambivalent about it.

Maybe now there will be someone or some higher ups that can override George's opinion and straight-up say, "No George. That's a stupid idea."

But then again, this is the Evil Mouse we're talking about. The ones who constantly up the prices to Disneyland, despite the rest of the country being in a recession. The ones who damned us with High School Musical. And the ones who sink their grubby hooks into our kids with their Disney channel programming and product placement.

So like other have already said, this can either be a good thing or a bad thing.

It means Lucas' war with the WGA and DGA will be over. He'll have creative control but won't have to Direct or Write anymore, which he's never wanted to do but had that issue with the guilds from the 80's... Could be good. I like the idea of movies every few years kinda like Bond. Hoping for Mark Hamil in an Obi-wan style role training an all new cast without much reference to the other characters. It'd be nice if they threw the oddball reference to the EU without being completely beholden to it (IOW, a "certain point of view" treating certain novels and comics like they were from the SW equivalent of The Onion. ;)

Not sure if it can be a Realâ„¢ Star Wars movie without the 20th Century Fox intro, though. <_<

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the REAL intellectual property that Disney was seeking with this deal......

howard_the_duck.jpg

Edited by taksraven

What are you talking about? Howard is Marvel property, so Disney already done that, mate.

I meant Marvel, I didn't say anything about Lucasfilm....... :p :P :p

I don't think we have enough information to determine if this acquisition is going to be good or bad, at least not until the first project comes out.

Like a bunch of people have said, it could be hit or miss, and the Marvel films have been relatively entertaining so far. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing more of the Star Wars Universe and, well, if it done right, more power to them, eh?

The main problem with the prequels is that they were too heavy-handed, which was wildly different than the original trilogy which, let's be honest here, was pretty damn basic in its story line.

Also, I think the prequels tried too damn hard to tie in just about every character from the OT.

Well, we'll see in two years whether or not this was a good or a bad idea. I really just want more cool SW video games, which themselves have really been as hit-or-miss as the films.