http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNvAYGwQBro

Someone on the AS Group on FB posted the trailer. LOL this looks good. All the flight deck personal have cranials and look like Hyster 6k Forklifts (and i about died laughing when i saw the prop plane getting hooked to the launch craddle with a ALBAR instead of a tentioner).

C9CG16 GPCX

of course unless you were in the Navy (as Airdales at least) all that means gibberious, LOL... thoughts on this movie, people? Edited by azrael

Interesting, will wait for DVD. And is it just me or do the fighter jets look like a cross between F-18s and MiG-29s or is it just me?

Also I get what you're saying, worked on many a carrier, all but two I believe, when I worked for the Navy on the RAM launchers.

• 5 months later...

eh, really not interested now, a duster keeping pace with two jet fighters, fail

My thoughts exactly. I do realise expecting an iota of realise is silly but this is unwatchable. It's not NASCAR vs F1 here it's more like vespa vs f1

There's also the fact that the target audience is a lot younger than anyone on this site...

I think that this is the biggest problem with some of these films. Much of Disney and Pixars success since the release of Toy Story has been that many of these films are "Family" entertainment as opposed to "Kids" films. To me, Cars was definitely a "kids" film and many parents don't want to be dragged into a cinema to sit through that sort of thing. "Family" entertainment means that both parents and kids can enjoy the films, but I think Disney is forgetting this and losing the plot....

• 1 month later...

SO its about air racing, ok I am slightly more interested now, I like that it looks like his buddy is a Velocity XL, love those planes. But that trailer looks like it showed pretty much the whole movie.

• 2 weeks later...

VERY glad to see this is a feature film versus a direct-to-DVD, kids home viewing. Now, if they can preserve more of the "Toy Story"/"Monster's Inc."-class and balanced maturity/youthfulness...rather than the over-the-top kiddie "Cars2"

So looking at the last two trailers we have a Tex Avery inspired film featuring a crop dusting P-51, a lucha libre GeeBee, and somewhere in there an ENTIRE squadron of F4U corsairs! What's not to like?

Renegadeleader1, The main character/'Cropduster' is more likely based off a Cessna Agwagon, not a P-51 Mustang. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cessna_A188A_Agwagon_N9961G_Minden_NV_27.10.05R_edited-2.jpg

Well, I hope this is good. Cars never interested me, even before it became apparent it was purely a kids movie, but at least I can enjoy the planes in this. Hopefully there's more to it. At the very least there could be some fun toys to buy for my Nephew.

Edited by Mommar

• 2 months later...

It looks like Planes is this year's worst animated film.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 25% - "Planes has enough bright colors, goofy voices, and slick animation to distract some young viewers for 92 minutes -- and probably sell plenty of toys in the bargain -- but on nearly every other level, it's a Disney disappointment."

Metacritic Score: 39 out of 100

Edited by areaseven

It looks like Planes has unseated Cars 2 as Pixar's worst film.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 25% - "Planes has enough bright colors, goofy voices, and slick animation to distract some young viewers for 92 minutes -- and probably sell plenty of toys in the bargain -- but on nearly every other level, it's a Disney disappointment."

Metacritic Score: 39 out of 100

"Planes" isn't a Pixar film, it's in-house Disney.

"Planes" isn't a Pixar film, it's in-house Disney.

more specifically its a DisneyToon studio's picture, as aposed to Walt Disney Animation Studios (who are also not pixar and produce good animated films). It's a movie that was supposed to be direct-to-video from an animation studio that does almost exclusively direct-to-video productions, it's absolutely not surprising in the least that it's a terrible movie if your not 5.

• 7 months later...

While the movie/plot/characters were mostly forgettable in the first one, I'll admit that picking out the various aircraft-related jokes and references was entertaining on its own for the first one.. had a good laugh watching it with my father (similarly into aircraft history).

They're really pushing it further than it needs to go though.. the entire "vehicles as people" thing can only go so far before it gets really demented.

Well that confirms something our LT said at work the other day. They are using real locations for these movies, and they are already starting on Planes 3, which will be set at Edwards.

• 5 months later...