IXTL

Has anyone every thought to build a diorama of a valk graveyard, with all of their destroyed Cannon Fodder's? At least you'd get some use out of the various broken parts and pieces. ^_^

I don't think anyone was dumb enough to actually buy that many of them in the first place. :lol: Though it might exist from someone buying up the scraps of destroyed ones?

Sell them as Schroedingers Valks. It's a unique selling point for people who like to gamble. :p

Lol! I suppose that would appeal to some buyers! XD Don't think I'm going to be able to get back what I paid for them though

Well I bought another 171 from another member for $50. This one had cracked shoulders but they hold just fine. The one you see with no armor pack is the one I had before with completely crumbled shoulders..

32BDCFF9-80BB-4060-8773-DD58D7D4655D.jpg

So i go to apply the shapeways fix to the one with no armor and wow they work great.. but i swear this toy has a mind of its own because as soon as i fixed that, this happened..... :blink:

1AD96144-0C02-46D2-89CB-2191E3F87784.jpg

Chest hinge crumbled.... :angry: No matter what it wants to remain in junk mode with something broken :lol: It actually holds in battroid with one hinge but i believe it will only be a matter of time before the other hinge breaks. :rolleyes:

I had the same thing happen to one of my 171s, although it was my fault for using too much force. Anyway, I dremeled out the area where the rotation joint had been, and J-B Welded a piece of ink pen reservoir tube to serve as a new rotation point. I'm going to use a piece of styrene with a hole drilled to allow for a small nail to pass through and hopefully make it more solid. I let the Weld cure overnight, and it holds the tube, but didn't chemically bond with it. For the next part, attaching the styrene and nail, I'm curious if any of the modelers out there know what will adhere to the reservoir tube? PM me if you have any questions/solutions. Thanks.

You know what? I just had an amusing realization. Your comment about the ink pen jarred my memory about how people used to rely on Bic pen mods to give their old 1/55ths thigh rotation joints.

If I can get the knee joint apart well enough to work on it and get it working, that old mod might be a decent way to get the thigh pivot working again.

I had the same thing happen to one of my 171s, although it was my fault for using too much force. Anyway, I dremeled out the area where the rotation joint had been, and J-B Welded a piece of ink pen reservoir tube to serve as a new rotation point. I'm going to use a piece of styrene with a hole drilled to allow for a small nail to pass through and hopefully make it more solid. I let the Weld cure overnight, and it holds the tube, but didn't chemically bond with it. For the next part, attaching the styrene and nail, I'm curious if any of the modelers out there know what will adhere to the reservoir tube? PM me if you have any questions/solutions. Thanks.

Totally off topic, but is that Quakewave in the background? Got a spare? Willing to sell? Got a friend with one who has a drug problem?

• 1 month later...

i got a question regarding this toy. is it true that it have many QC problems? like it breaks on leg joints and stuff like that?

i like it a lot and im considering getting it, but if it is as fragile as it seems im not sure.

i got a question regarding this toy. is it true that it have many QC problems? like it breaks on leg joints and stuff like that?

i like it a lot and im considering getting it, but if it is as fragile as it seems im not sure.

It is probably one of the most QC riddled Macross toys to exist. The problems aren't constrained to just the exploding shoulders. Various parts are known to have broken or are missing right out of the box. Needless to say, it is a risky purchase. The EX variants seem to be much safer to get.

It is probably one of the most QC riddled Macross toys to exist. The problems aren't constrained to just the exploding shoulders. Various parts are known to have broken or are missing right out of the box. Needless to say, it is a risky purchase. The EX variants seem to be much safer to get.

ok man thx, i should focus on the plus EX then.

thx a lot for the tip.

It seems to be a problem with the plastic degrading over time, identicle to (but much, much quicker) than the old Gold Plastic Syndrome. Mine had cracks strait out of the box that I noticed even before transforming it (at this point it disintegrated and had to be reconstructed with glue and joint re-engineering.)

I was wondering, if I were to buy a VF-171 CF brand new with no intention of transforming it, but plan to attach the armored parts in its fighter mode, would I encounter any triangle problems?

While I was rearranging my display case I moved my VF-171 and a piece of one of the triangles just fell off of one side. And the other side is about to do the same thing.

I have NEVER transformed this Valkyrie. So for those of you thinking that staying in fighter mode will help keep this from happening, it won't.

Thanks Bandai. :angry:

attachicon.gif171.jpg

hmm, i wonder how mine are doing. i picked THIS release to "army build" back when it came out. I have 3. 2 have never left fighter mode. One was put in battroi mode with armor packs as ell and then transformed back to fighter. 2 remain on display in fighter mode. i wonder if they have spontaneously cracked without me noticing. i will take em out and check at some point. IF not, am i the luckiest CF owner?

hmm, i wonder how mine are doing. i picked THIS release to "army build" back when it came out. I have 3. 2 have never left fighter mode. One was put in battroi mode with armor packs as ell and then transformed back to fighter. 2 remain on display in fighter mode. i wonder if they have spontaneously cracked without me noticing. i will take em out and check at some point. IF not, am i the luckiest CF owner?

You have Schrödinger's shoulders. They are both broken, and not broken. Don't risk it. Don't check.

Are ALL the VF-171 cannon fodders prone to breaking?

Yes.

Is there a "first batch" that is inmune to any defect on the black plastic?

Unfortunately, no :(

If you are rich enough, can you buy an Alto or the other new variants, exchange parts and have a perfect VF-171?

Theoretically, sure. Unfortunately, beyond just the shoulder triangles there are other, structural parts of the CF VF-171 that are also made of the faulty plastic, like in the chest hinges and in the knees, and these parts are covered by screw covers, glue, and rivets, making swapping those parts likely a nightmarish experience. You'd honestly be better off just keeping the Alto or whatever stock and enjoying it as-is.

I don't understand why Bandai didn't produce a few extra shoulders when they produced the RFV-171 and VF-171EX Itasha and just threw them in the box. I'm sure enough people would order to get replacement parts for their VF-171CF. ^_^

I don't think Bandai has ever even considered replacing individual parts, they pretty much seem to be an all or nothing replacement deal. They don't replace parts, they just request the entire thing back.

Given the manufacturing practices I once discussed with a former Toyota employee, it might not be common for Japanese companies to stock spare parts for anything at all.