IXTL

Guest davidwhangchoi

i never liked the cf 171, just seemed cheap and too many problems right out of the box with the over tighten screws causing cracks and broken blk triangles. i haven't heard this happening to the alto 171s... wonder if it's the same issues for the alto version... perhaps not many owners of the alto...

Guest davidwhangchoi

is there any alto owners that had any issues ever? not sure if i heard of one. i sold my alto and cf 171 before trying to transform them...

I have only put one cycle on My alto from fighter to battroid and back to fighter, I did not have any problems with it. I have only transformed the 3 CF versions I have to battroid, kind of scared to go back to fighter. Once my super parts come in for those I will most likely put them back in fighter.

The alto is solid. I was transforming it from battroid back to fighter and i forgot to push the triangle back out before pushing the leg back in. I couldnt get the leg back in place and i kept triying to force it in. Scratched some paint off the back of leg where the intake sits on the otherside. But that traiangle piece never broke and i was exerting a lot of force against it.

Even though the little black triangle is not broken, I will still take care when transforming it. Because the pin in the center is not a smooth pin but have jagged teeth, potentially it can catch the plastic when rotating where it's joint, and seeing that the plastic is the CF doesn't appear to be strong durable plastic, it could potentially just break.

I have 7 of them. 1 with broken leg, 1 with broken NUNS triangle, 1 with broken small black triangle and 1 with cracked small black triangle. Move the broken pieces to one, so at least the rest appears to be okay.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

Nippon-Yasan.Com has stopped replying to my emails asking for an update on the repair to my CF VF-171.

They have had it since June, and the last reply was august 2nd. It stated that it was sent to Bandai.

Post on their faceboook, they usually respond right away, plus at least others will see your comments and know NY customer service.

Hi guys.

I have to say something. This Valk is amazing. It´s the best thing that Bandai ever done. By far.

Why? It´s simple. And it´s quite amazing....

In the show, if you were piloting a CF 171, you could never be sure if you were going home again, because you CF 171 was (most likely) going to explode into a thousand pieces.... And with this piece of art it´s just the same! You could never transform it knowing for sure if it´s going to survive the unfolding of some parts! Just like the show... you touch it, it explodes, you die....

So.... a quite stupid intro to say that the little folding triangle piece below the NUNS have broke. Both of them, and without any pressure at all. They´re now superglued, and they still work, but it´s amazing how fragile they are.

I still love the CF 171. It´s so beautiful that it´s hard to hate it, but some parts are innecesarily fragile, as all of you are rightfully pointing.

I was thinking of picking up a VF-171 CF plus the armor parts and just display it in fighter mode. But after reading about all of the issues with the triangles breaking, I would be pissed if they were to break just trying to attach the armor. So I may have to pass on the VF-171 CF...

Edited by Saburo

Yep, I have to throw my hat into the broken ring... I only transformed mine ONCE (knowing how fragile they are from these posts) and it seemed to have survived. I weathered it and sealed it in and transformed it back into the fighter mode and checked the triangles again, and they seemed to be fine! - I breathed a sigh of relief. Then I checked it a few weeks later (its only been on a stand in my shelf) and I saw that one side the tiny thin triangle under the NUNs section developed a crack all on its own! No stress marks, no pressure, no transformation at all. It probably developed the crack on my last (and only) transformation and just didn't show up till weeks later.

Oh well, I'm still not sorry I purchased this one. It wasn't even on my must have list (I was never a fan of the Nighthawk or its derivative designs) but after seeing MacrossJunkie's amazing weathering job, I caved after finding it for cheap and I am glad I did even with the breakage. This design and dark colour scheme really has grown on me especially when you see it in 3D, I'm not that particularly fond of the white Alto one either. It really is too bad that there is so much breakage, a blemish on an otherwise great release.

I'll post some shots when I get a chance to take a picture of it.

With all these reports of broken triangles from so many people, it really seems like it is the norm rather than the exception. I wish toy companies actually issued recalls when it's this bad instead of plugging their ears, going la la la, and continue letting vendors sell these things to hapless buyers.

What's sad is that it had to happen to the cannon fodder release the one many of us wanted badly. Now i'm stuck with three that i can't transform in case they break.

My alto just broke in a weird place. One of the nibs that holds the wing in place along with the pin (it sits a few mm above the pin). It just snapped off somehow. Wouldn't have even noticed if i didn't hear it drop on the floor. Thought it was one the wing pins at first since that happens all the time. Couldn't even tell what was missing until i put the wing back on and then i noticed the little nub snapped off. Took forever trying to find it on my floor. Superglued it back on and it seems to be holding. It'll probably break off again when i transform it.

Thanks for the reminder I forgot about the packs. I have 3 on order for the 3 I have. Not sure what to do though as I transformed them all to battroid to check for missing parts and am really worried about putting them back into fighter mode. I bought these for a fighter mode squad display.

I now have three of the 171s as well and so far I see one of them developing obvious cracks (other two probably have minute hairline, possibly smaller than hairline, fractures). I think I've accepted the fact that the triangles are seriously flawed and will fall off some day. At least the piece isn't essential to transformation <_<

The super parts are due at the end of this month too. I wonder if it'll be a HUGE flop because pissed off people (with good reason) cancelled pre-orders.

Geez, I didn't realize they were going to be out already. I wonder how many people just bought the super packs solely for the missiles and wings with hardpoints, like myself.

I only got one set just for that. The super packs themselves are the wrong color and just don't look good with the paint scheme of the CF versions.

Now here's a thought; Could you take the shoulders out of a CF and replace them with the ones one an Alto type? Since Alto's seem solid, that might work...

That should work, provided there's a spare Alto to swap with.

Geez, I didn't realize they were going to be out already. I wonder how many people just bought the super packs solely for the missiles and wings with hardpoints, like myself.

I only got one set just for that. The super packs themselves are the wrong color and just don't look good with the paint scheme of the CF versions.

That should work, provided there's a spare Alto to swap with.

Well I'd rather have a functional CF than a Functional Alto. So if i get a CF, and swap the shoulders out, I may solve the issue, and just leave Altos in fighter