IXTL

I dunno why people are complaining about the pilot honestly, the original Brera figure was already better painted than all the V.2 VF-25 figures I have. :p I put my legless Ranka in Alto's ride anyway, so I can put this one in Michael's VF-25. I just have to scratch-build myself some speaker pods.

Anyway, meh. I don't really know if it'll be that much better or not, but I actually like the look of the booster pack on this one, and it'll make a nice counterpart to my Alto YF-29 on display.

Edited by Chronocidal

I don't get it? A few pages ago, most everyone were all excited about this and wanting it. We all knew what this was going to look like as it has been well documented all ready. If someone thought it was a pure renewal and ordered it, then that is their mistake, as this thread has SEVERAL times gone over exactly what this release was. Just confused by the sudden hate??

Chris

I think the main complaint from people is the price for what you get. Especially after mark ups. The original one was easily gotten for less than MSRP and you didn't even have to camp for it and refresh every second to get one at an insane time. I got my first one from AmiAmi for a total of 14000JPY after EMS shipping. I then decided to pick up another one two months later at 15,686JPY after EMS shipping. Even if you go by MSRP, which was 14,000 (which is about how much the renewal 25s have been also), the super packs that come with the new one aren't really any more substantial than the VF-25 super packs, which are currently just 5,350 for the 25G's set.

The increased cost of this in comparison, especially since quite a few people have had to pay higher than MSRP just to pre-order it, is like a web exclusive without the benefit of ease of purchasing that a web exclusive would have had. The perception of value for what you're paying isn't there, which gives rise to complaints about the product.

That said, I bought one myself because battroid mode is lacking on the original and this newer release looks far better in that mode and more functional as well with less fiddly renewal styled shoulder block joint and better designed renewal style wrists/hands where the original had limp, pathetic wrists that had zero ability to hold up the gunpod. If they had actually gone the whole way and put in as much effort into the details that they did with the renewal 25s, I might have purchased 2 to replace the fighter mode displayed one as well.

For the record, I've never been that excited for this release. haha

Ditto!

...but I'm getting one anyway from hlj. Probably won't feel too bad if they update this design years from now. I'm not much of a complainer...how dull of me! ;D

Count me as one of the possible few who's still excited. After looking at the pics more carefully, I'm leaning more towards the idea that the spacer isn't to support the crotch forward but to cover up the exposed area (think VF-19 and the covers on the back thighs/legs). Love that the head is bigger and more proportionate to the body. I think some of the hate will evaporate as soon as people start getting this in hand. At the end of the day, I'm happy to have a slightly improved version of my fave valk design with the additional super pack!

That scheme is probably why I'm not excited. It's fugly! ...but since the design is nice (minus the dumb looking horns) I have to own at least one for my collection. It's a good thing Kawamori designs such pretty planes...

Here's hoping that if/when the CF version, and/or Grace VF-27, is announced that it will be a Tamashii web shop exclusive. I'm sick and tired of missing out on good deals because they go up in the middle of the night where I live... camping out to pre-order a toy is just not something I'm willing to do anymore, and I don't mind paying full retail (doing so with the VF-25A at HLJ), but I refuse to pay exorbitant mark ups for these things (got burned on the VF-171 CF and RVF-25... never again), specially when I just don't see the value in what's being offered . Preordering the upcoming Macross 30 YF-29 Isamu version was so easy and drama free that I'd love for Bandai to make all future Frontier DXs like the FPs, SPs, APs, and Isamu releases.

Edited by mechaninac

Gotta say I'm still looking forward to getting this, even though it is only a partial renewal (as suspected).

I love the look of it with the Super Parts in fighter mode and I can't wait to swoosh it round doing mock dog fights with Alto's YF-29.

And Bandai have fixed the most flawed parts of the original toy, so it does look much better in battroid mode in the photos.

Graham

I don't see what the big deal is---the -27 introduced most of the features the renewal -25 got. It didn't have to be upgraded much to make it into a renewal, because it already has most of those features to start with. I mean, what'd be the point of altering the landing gear or forward fuselage or ankles? They're already spot-on. The original -25 was awful there and needed major changes. If the -27 already matched the line art well in many areas, altering it would thus make it look LESS like the line art...

I don't see what the big deal is---the -27 introduced most of the features the renewal -25 got. It didn't have to be upgraded much to make it into a renewal, because it already has most of those features to start with. I mean, what'd be the point of altering the landing gear or forward fuselage or ankles? They're already spot-on. The original -25 was awful there and needed major changes. If the -27 already matched the line art well in many areas, altering it would thus make it look LESS like the line art...

The basic sculpt and proportions are fine but the engineering was really sub-par compared to the actual DX-25 Renewals. for instance, the ankles look correct but mechanically they're really lacking compared to the renewals. similarly the 27's landing gears look fine, but they don't lock at all in the down position unlike the renewals and they also have more prominent hinges on the gear doors.

:edit:

BTW, while the basic proportions are fine, fine sculpted detail is sparse and less crisp than on the 25 renewals.

Edited by anime52k8

Proportions aren't gonna be perfect but then again, the animators took liberties with the 27, ie how the back disappeared when it was in battroid...lucky we're even getting this amount of macross love...only complaints I'm having is with QC and how Bandai consistently get worse with their products...my exia repair came with glue still stuck on a tampo'd shoulder and other companies' QC are going down the bog too...back on point my supplier has my VF-27 today but I didn't bring my receipt so picking it up tomorrow...

Nothing a little shapeways work and some repainting wouldn't fix. :) The paint scheme is also a lot simpler to boot.

I'm honestly tempted to order a second set of packs for Luca, and use the ghosts as a base to make both the Galaxy version, and an X-9.

Edited by Chronocidal

Nothing a little shapeways work and some repainting wouldn't fix. :) The paint scheme is also a lot simpler to boot.

I'm honestly tempted to order a second set of packs for Luca, and use the ghosts as a base to make both the Galaxy version, and an X-9.

I'd rather just have ready made ghosts. all of them.

Hold off on the X-9. Edited by Kurisama