IXTL

The differences may be subtle, but they add up and go a long way toward making the battroid mode look a whole lot better. I just want to know if the crotch part can stay angled on its own or if it really needs that spacer part. All the pictures I've seen seem to have it on there.

I'm glad they also fixed the crooked "101" on the starboard stabilizer that was an issue on the version 1 VF-27.

They also remembered to put the metallic green paint near the guns on the wing nacelles and on the shield, where I had to paint that myself.

Really happy I got it now (the rather expensive shipping from CD Japan was not easy to swallow). Those comparison pics really show how the little improvements go a long way. The upgraded tampo also looks awesome. And even the Super parts add more to the design.

I really don't see a reason to complain either and am glad I ordered this. I kinda consider the old DX VF-27 more of a ver 1.5 (compared to the 25's) and this new one really does look like they added .5 to make it a version 2. I can understand how people who own the version 1 would feel though. That's the reason I skipped the old releases, thinking I would wait until another company would get the license or until Bandai got their act together.

Great review ff95j!

It's not really fair for that poor v1 though, since your photography skills have improved a lot since your first review.

I'm in for this one and overall thrilled since I wasn't interested in Frontier when the v1 was released and skipped it.

Are the articulated hands the same as the renewals or more like the vf-171?

And I can't wait to hear more about the dreaded spacer piece.

My friends in Japan who have it have told me it's basically the V1 with different shoulders, crotch / hips and a sharper paint app with a buttload of tampo.

They report that the panel detail hasn't changed if at all and some have reported the Tampo is subject to easy scratching so be careful O_o

The -27 always had paint-scratching issues.

Anyways, the -27 never "magically" hid its long tail in battroid from what I've seen---the animators always just were very careful with posing and camera angles to hide it behind the legs 99% of the time---they always showed it partially profiled, never head-on. (At least, whenever the view showed below the waist)

You can easily duplicate this with the DX.
::edit:: Here, old pic of my Grace -27:

IMG_3043.jpg

See? No "tailbone" at all. Just gotta get the right angle. (ironically, I didn't even do that intentionally when I took the picture, it just happened) Frontier's animators did the same thing all the time, but on purpose.

Thanks guys. The VF-27 actually has articulated hands and I used them in some of the photos. The couch could hold itself well on its own, on par if not better than the 25 renewals. I put it on anyways because technically it would enhance the stability even further.

As a side note, it depends on individual unit regarding the crotch. I have a YF29 that has an auto collapse crotch, while another unit has a crotch that holds well.

Thanks guys. The VF-27 actually has articulated hands and I used them in some of the photos. The couch could hold itself well on its own, on par if not better than the 25 renewals. I put it on anyways because technically it would enhance the stability even further.

As a side note, it depends on individual unit regarding the crotch. I have a YF29 that has an auto collapse crotch, while another unit has a crotch that holds well.

Thanks for the input! Panic over! I should be very pleased with this purchase then assuming the QC on my copy is good. :)

well I'm glad none of my renewal series have erectile dysfunction.

Anyways, some more questions:

1: how are the ankles, do lock out when extended or do they still collapse easily?

2: do the landing gear collapse easily?

3: I couldn't tell from your pictures, but are the screws on the underside of the wing still exposed or do they have screw covers now?

The -27 always had paint-scratching issues.

Anyways, the -27 never "magically" hid its long tail in battroid from what I've seen---the animators always just were very careful with posing and camera angles to hide it behind the legs 99% of the time---they always showed it partially profiled, never head-on. (At least, whenever the view showed below the waist)

You can easily duplicate this with the DX.

::edit:: Here, old pic of my Grace -27:

IMG_3043.jpg

See? No "tailbone" at all. Just gotta get the right angle. (ironically, I didn't even do that intentionally when I took the picture, it just happened) Frontier's animators did the same thing all the time, but on purpose.

Man, if they release the Grace version again, I hope they can fix the colors on it like they did with the RVF-25 renewal. The non-matching shades of green on it just looks terrible.

Thanks for the confirmation on the angling lock for the crotch part!

well I'm glad none of my renewal series have erectile dysfunction.

Anyways, some more questions:

1: how are the ankles, do lock out when extended or do they still collapse easily?

2: do the landing gear collapse easily?

3: I couldn't tell from your pictures, but are the screws on the underside of the wing still exposed or do they have screw covers now?

Does the landing gear collapse easily on yours? I didn't know it was an issue for the 27. My version 1's hold the landing gears in place pretty well.

It looks to me like it has screwhole covers now, which is a big plus.

78639501-s.jpg

For reference for those that want to compare, here's what the version 1 looks like on the ventral side.

post-10222-0-97283100-1376197348_thumb.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Some comparisons in my post on TD:

http://toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-212725-1-1.html

Can you tell if the "lavender" aceent color is actually more intense/deeper than the previous release, or is it just the lighting? (because Bandai used Brera's color on Grace's last time, which is wrong according to most sources, but not TOO noticeable---but if it's more "purple" now then it'll be obvious if they do that again)

Man, if they release the Grace version again, I hope they can fix the colors on it like they did with the RVF-25 renewal. The non-matching shades of green on it just looks terrible.

Thanks for the confirmation on the angling lock for the crotch part!

Does the landing gear collapse easily on yours? I didn't know it was an issue for the 27. My version 1's hold the landing gears in place pretty well.

It looks to me like it has screwhole covers now, which is a big plus.

The clean underside is a definite improvement. with the landing gear, mine are a little loose and nothing stops them at vertical, if you try to put them vertical they collapses under the toys weight when you put it down. I can get it to support itself and roll if I swing the gears past vertical but then all the gears are angled in towards each other which looks goofy and like it's about to collapse.

ff95gj,

Could you also comment on if they improved the gunpod any? I see they changed the connection point to use the handle instead and modified the secondary hook, but I'm curious as to whether they tightened up the halves of the barrel so that the ends remain on an even level to each other. On both of mine, the two halves are kind of floppy when split apart and when upside down as it is in fighter mode, one side droops down lower than the other. To prevent that, I'd have to cheat by tucking them on top of the front landing gear wheel, which I hate.

Just picked up the first of two 27s. Colour is pretty much identical to the first release. I haven't taken out the v1 to compare yet, but by and large it's the same. Nozzles and feet are gunmetal and lots of clean tampo printing. So far so good, but shame about the lack of surface panel detailing...guess Bandai couldn't be bothered with tweaking the existing mold...maybe they offset it with the super amounts of tampo'ing...either way, fighter mode is pretty much the same...disappointed the landing gears are not able to lock...otherwise it's the usual QC with a few scratches on the plastic visible through the sheen...

Edited by Shukenzero