A question about using Gundam Stands with Yamato Valkyries

CoreyD

The stand is pretty sturdy but really light. The great thing about it is that the base is fairly wide on all sides so it doesn't topple over easy. The weak point is the screw hinge at the top where the adapter will go. It'll fold over if the item is too heavy.

Good news. I got the adapter today and it fit perfectly on the stand and the Yamato display adapter fits on it well. More good news is that I redesigned my adapter to take off more material and I got it down to 7.90 per adapter. Even more good news is I put together a set of 5 so that it'll be even cheaper at about $6.20 each. The redesign shouldn't matter since I kept the tolerance the same. I just made it straight to trim material.

I tried the 1/48 with FP and it folded over easily... That's the stand that wasn't strong enough, not my adapter... the adapter holds pretty well.

I'll try out more valks tomorrow. I have the 1/60 VF-1 w/ FP and a VF-22. Unfortunately no 19s and 17s. I gotta figure out who around me has these so I can take pictures of them with the stand. Unless someone tries it out before me.

Here's the link.

http://www.shapeways...hops/exodigital

Thanks! We're you the one that bought it already? Do you have those valks I don't have?

I just noticed that there's a lot of build up powder in the holes of the part. The stand goes in there further than I initially tested. More stability... will post pics soon

Sure thing. That would be awesome!

Here's the pics I promised. There's a bunch of dives and climbs, banks... Kind of extreme just to test out the weight of the stand. Even ones where the stand was raised to the highest setting. Kinda ridiculous, it shakes really easy at that point but just goes to show that it can hold it. You just have to find the right slots to put the stand into. I actually only changed it around only once.

post-151-0-28073100-1353012393_thumb.jpe post-151-0-15340600-1353012392_thumb.jpe post-151-0-06603500-1353012394_thumb.jpe post-151-0-88045900-1353012394_thumb.jpe post-151-0-68708500-1353012395_thumb.jpe post-151-0-46208200-1353012396_thumb.jpe

post-151-0-50876300-1353012423_thumb.jpe post-151-0-56579800-1353012424_thumb.jpe post-151-0-67061300-1353012425_thumb.jpe post-151-0-32971600-1353012427_thumb.jpe post-151-0-09367100-1353012428_thumb.jpe post-151-0-85294900-1353012428_thumb.jpe post-151-0-94554100-1353012429_thumb.jpe

When I selected the shapeways link in your thread it showed mospeada figures of stick, yellow, and fluke. Also, can you display the VF-1 using the adaptor with the gunpod attached? Just asking because I haven't seen any displayed with the gun pod that are level. Also with these stands, we will all now have a use for those extra UN SPACY decals on the sheets of our Yamato Valks

Edited by sreichma

It's just regular plastic so it should be easy to paint. But they come in all sorts of colors also. The stands come with differen parts so you can set them up in many different ways and like MichealS said, they even come with a small sign blank so you can put stickers on them.

Here's a picture of the adapter with a gun.

post-151-0-19275900-1353269690_thumb.jpg

The gun does touch this adapter but it's able to display with it. The thickness of that wall touching the gun is 3.5mm. I shaved off 1mm around the adapter that's on the store right now so It should have a 1mm gap between the gun and the newly designed adapter. It all depends on the pose. On some poses the pressure will cause a slight bend and will push the gun towards the adapter, but it shouldnt put pressure againts it, it'll just brush up against it. When I get my new adapter I'll take pictures.

Oh, one thing about those stands that can really help stability. I've got a set of 4 SMS stands for my VF-25 kits, but I also picked up a plain one for my VF-27. That one has a small square extension that slots into the base octagon, and gives you a couple more mounting points for the support. That version will give you a much lower angle on the support, and might be useful for more extreme poses.

I've got a bunch of these stands for my various Master Grade Gundams, but I have to say, they look much better here. They always looked too much like Launch arms and I thought they were kinda awkward with the gundam suits, but that's pretty much perfect for Macross designs. I'll have to buy a bunch of these adaptors to try them out ASAP

Nice job EXO and Corey! I have one and love the look and possibilities. Do you guys think taking solid colored stands and filling them with glue and buckshot/lead weights would add stability? - MT

After inspecting the ones I got I decided to line up the holes to streamline the design and use less material so it would cost less also it would allow just a bit more space between the VF-1 gun and the adapter. I didn't change the tolerance so the holes should be the same size. I'm waiting for my shipment to come in so I can update pictures.

It's not a perfect solution, but given that these bandai stands are fairly inexpensive and are assembled from ABS in model kit fashion it should be entire possible to purchase several of them and glue/reinforce them into fixed pose stands for the heavier Valkyries. buy a few stands, cement a few of the 'launch arms' into appropriate poses for fighter, battroid and gerwalk, just swap out the arm part for your different display needs and treat them like fix pose stands.

That's what I'm planning on doing personally for anything that's otherwise too heavy for one of these, anyway!

Ok, my order just arrived. Big plus to Exo for the design and craftsmanship. These adapters all fit flawlessly!

I'll try and get some photos later, but the short of it is that a YF-19 with super pack and/or fold booster is just way too heavy on the back portion to stay upright. The screw in the joint of the gundam's arm is just not enough to hold up that much weight. As aceoftherebellion mentioned, gluing will probably solve the problem given how damn cheap the stands are, but I'm not set on using it with my YF-29 right now.

I did put a VF-1 with super strike back on and it works perfectly!

Will test some more ships later on. Thanks again Exo!!!