A question about using Gundam Stands with Yamato Valkyries

CoreyD

Ok, so in the topic below, poster JET7 talked about using Gundam Action Stands in lieu of the discontinued Yamato stands.

http://www.macrosswo...showtopic=37426

From what I understand, the only way to make the mount work on the Gundam stand is to cut the tabs and glue it.

I've never used CAD programs for model design before or put anything on shapeways, but would it be possible to design a yamato style mount on shapeways that fits into a gundam style stand without gluing or cutting? Might be a better option than paying $50 for stands.

For those familiar with the gundam stands, would it be strong enough to hold a yamato valk with a super strike pack?

Just some questions to throw out there. I'm new here, so if this is the wrong forum feel free to move it to a more appropriate one.

Either on Animepunch or on here (a long time ago) I posted a thread about using the Gundam stands with 1/48 Yamatos. My preference was using them in gerwalk but with a little ingenuity you can use them in all modes. I think KiriK found a good way to make it work with a Super 1/48 in all modes.

Also Exo used some sponge or something to cover one of the adapter pieces before wedging it into a 1/60 Super VF-1 to display in fighter mode.

So basically yeah Gundam stands work with Yamatos. The best thing is to do a little experimenting with them.

It would be physically possible to design an adapter, but the question is, would it be worth it? 3D printing is a bit expensive, and Bandai stands aren't exactly cheap, for the amount of poseability they give.

These seem pretty reasonably priced to me? Certainly cheaper than trying to scrounge up an OOP yamato stand.

http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/ban948216.html

http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/ban950540.html

These seem like a much better investment for VFs, especially given shipping costs on the Bandai stands. They offer more poseability (especially for fighter and gerwalk modes) and they're comparably priced. Gundam stands are good for Gundams because they're always humanoid. (and don't require modification to hold a Gunpla)

I really wish there was a stand that could easily accommodate any scale valk in Battroid mode for dynamic posing.

Hasegawa has these. Don't know if they'll have enough "umph" for the Yamatos, though.

Here is my try.

Super is too heavy for the joint, normal fighter can be displayed with a more freedom.

Actually for super valk, the gun pod helps to keep the valk in position. Yamato's adapter if very far away from the gravity center of the super valk.

Little tooling required, took me like 30 min. to fix this one.

post-781-0-29099500-1351627939_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-44028900-1351627962_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-52262300-1351627990_thumb.jpg

Edited by Froy

YES! If someone could do a little shapeways 3D printed adapter, I'd buy them! If the adapter could have the larger Yamato hole going into the smaller Bandai peg would be perfect. I don't know if the 3D printed stuff is strong enough though. Right now I cut the Bandai tabs and try to wedge them in between the arms and legs in fighter mode - its pretty good for 1/60 Yamatos - I wouldn't trust them on my 1/48 though.

Hasegawa has these. Don't know if they'll have enough "umph" for the Yamatos, though.

Yeah, they really don't. I've got a few of them that I've used for Hasegawa battroids and HGUC Gundam kits, which they're great for, but they aren't table enough for the heft of a Yamato toy. Base is too small and light, and not enough tension in the ball joints to support the weight.

YES! If someone could do a little shapeways 3D printed adapter, I'd buy them! If the adapter could have the larger Yamato hole going into the smaller Bandai peg would be perfect. I don't know if the 3D printed stuff is strong enough though. Right now I cut the Bandai tabs and try to wedge them in between the arms and legs in fighter mode - its pretty good for 1/60 Yamatos - I wouldn't trust them on my 1/48 though.

I'll put mine back up tonight. The nylon (White strong flexible is definitely strong enough).

Oops can't upload. Server is down due to Hurricane Sandy.

Woohoo EXO to the rescue! I didn't know you designed one of those, for sure I'd jump all over it. You have to walk me through how to order them though, I'm a complete newbie with these 3D printing services.

I'm actually surprised those will hold a 1/48, though it's all about locating the center of gravity I guess. It's probably why they work so well for gerwalk. :)

I just wish Yamato would work on coming up with better locations for their stand adapters. They're always so far forward of the CG. I'd think using the adapters is probably out for anything bigger than a 1/60 VF-1, maybe a VF-11. Heavy stuff like the Fire Valk is probably out of the question.

The stands are clear. The adapter won't be. Shapeways sells a semi clear, what they call frosted detail, but it's 3 times the cost and not as strong. Plus you'd have to sand and polish the crap out of them to make them close to being clear. This is the only recommendable material because of strength and pricing. People will still have to consider 3D printing an expensive process no matter what but to me it's a great alternative to the unavailable and more expensive Yamato stands.

Thanks MichaelS!

What's pictured here is just the stand by itself. Like bigkid said. I used a foam stickie sheet to wedge between the VF parts but I had to cut the adapter that came with the stands and wedging it between the parts can cause some stress on the toy. I just wanted to see if the stand can carry the weight. It can actually hold up a 1/48 with FPs in fighter mode providing you don't get crazy with the tilting of the toy.

Do you think the adapter would be able to handle the weight of some of the heavier valk toys like the VF-17 and 19?

I'd guess no on this, since those examples from before showed it barely able to support a VF-1 with strike packs. The mounting points of the VF-19s and VF-17 are even further away from the CG, and it's going to be quite a strain to get those to stay up I think.