From wiki:

World War Z is an upcoming post-apocalyptic horror film directed by Marc Forster and written by J. Michael Straczynski and Matthew Michael Carnahan. It is based on the novel of the same name by Max Brooks. Brad Pitt stars as Gerry Lane, a worker at the United Nations, as he searches the globe for information that can stop the zombie outbreak that is bringing down nations.

Plan B Entertainment secured the film rights in 2007 and Forster was approached to direct. In 2009, Carnahan was hired to rewrite the script to the film. Filming began in July 2011 in Malta on an estimated $125 million budget, before moving to Glasgow in August 2011 and Budapest in October 2011. Originally set for a December 2012 release, the production suffered some setbacks. In June 2012, the film's release date was pushed back and the crew returned to Budapest for a seven weeks of additional shooting. Damon Lindelof was hired to rewrite the third act, but did not have the time to finish the script and Drew Goddard was hired to rewrite it. The reshoots are due to take place between September or October 2012.

World War Z is due to be released on June 21, 2013.

From cinemablend.com:

Saved for the very end of the presentation was the first trailer for World War Z, the massive zombie apocalypse movie that's been mired in release date shifts, reshoots, and constant rumors of friction behind the scenes. Like Pain & Gain this footage could easily be the first trailer, but it also elides plot to focus on juicy bits of action, in this case shots of zombie hordes cascading over city traffic or fortified walls, and Brad Pitt's character being separated from his family (including The Killing star Meirelle Enos) to help fight the zombie plague. The footage opened with a tense scene of Pitt's family trapped in traffic while an arriving zombie army brings chaos, and featured bits of scenes that gave a sense to the film's scale-- an official-looking clock counting down the names of the dead, and official-looking people in a situation room reporting how other countries are doing as poorly as America at fighting back the invasion.

Zombie purists may want to know that the zombies of World War Z are clearly the fast-moving variety, though we didn't get a clear enough look at them to learn much else. Though Max Brooks's novel of the same name is an oral history told through scattered vignettes from around the globe,World War Z seems to have the scale of a massive disaster film, with Pitt's character somehow in the center of the resistance. As much as fans of the book might not welcome that change, a global-scale zombie movie sounds like the exact right way to freshen up the genre at this point, and World War Z seems to contain some terrifying set pieces to make it worth the wait. We'll find out how it fares for ourself when World War Z opens, at last, June 21 next year.

Fast moving zombies.... <_<

post-2668-0-32421700-1350401363_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear :(

I had high hopes for this, as I love the book, but after watching the trailer, it's gone 'from must see at the cinema', to 'torrent eventually, if bored and nothing else to do or watch'.

CGI Olympic sprinter zombies just don't float my boat.

Fail and pass.

Back to The Walking Dead. Nothing more to see here folks.

Graham

I'll admit to seeing the Zeds coming in literal waves is something new and terrifying to behold. Sadly the movie is based on a book that has nothing to do with runners.

Gonna go see it anyways and hope that regardless of the plague the movie has some redeeming factor.

Edited by Zor Primus

World War FAIL.

I've said this a million times, but to do this book justice, it needs to be done "Band of Brothers" style. Too many good stories and viewpoints to try and pass off in one movie. It's WWZ in name only, which saddens me greatly. I had high hopes for this till I read the set reports on AICN a while back.

How hard is it for Hollywood to stick to the source material?!?!?!

Absolutely love the visual impact of those zombie waves and the reaction I got watching them

Absolutely convinced this production is "in name only" and is sold as World War Z only to benefit from a known property

Absolutely saddened those awesome visuals are very likely to be wasted within a terrible movie

Edited by Mr March

so you all have seen the movie?

B/c i can't exactly tell whats going to happen from the trailer.

Like Duke said, if you've read the book (x3 for me) the previews tell you the movie will deviate in many ways from Author Max Brooks novel.

And your right, have I seen the movie yet? of course not, no one has yet. I'm sure Brad Pitt will be awesome and the movie will be alot of fun, still if you can find the time get the book and read away, one of my Top 10 favorite books ever!! B))

Visually it looks awesome. Feels like an evolution of the classic zombie and the “28 days later” zombie into something crazier worthy of causing something that can be labelled a “World War” instead of the usual “outbreak” or “mass infection”.

Probably good popcorn flick with bare minimum plot BUT there are a lot of you guys talking about the book on a personal level so at least the original material must be good. Am I right? Are the WWZ book(s?) worth reading? I really have no idea about them other than quickly skimming “The Zombie Survival Guide” once.

The book is great. What I love about it is that it gets away from the typical zombie apocalypse viewpoint.

It's not just a small group of people enduring while the world ends. It shows the Z.A. on that global scale, how the world deals with it, and what happens afterwards. It's all very well thought out.

(null)

Edited by Kelsain

I highly recommend the book. It's a light read (I finished it in an afternoon), but very engaging. The book is basically a bunch of interviews with survivors, laid out in order from the start of the war to the end.

Visually it looks awesome. Feels like an evolution of the classic zombie and the “28 days later” zombie into something crazier worthy of causing something that can be labelled a “World War” instead of the usual “outbreak” or “mass infection”.

Probably good popcorn flick with bare minimum plot BUT there are a lot of you guys talking about the book on a personal level so at least the original material must be good. Am I right? Are the WWZ book(s?) worth reading? I really have no idea about them other than quickly skimming “The Zombie Survival Guide” once.

Buy a copy of the book, you will not regret it!!

I highly recommend the book. It's a light read (I finished it in an afternoon), but very engaging. The book is basically a bunch of interviews with survivors, laid out in order from the start of the war to the end.

And honestly, it would've been a challenging book to adapt properly unless you had a large ensemble cast where actors like Brad Pitt would be OK with only acting in a specific scene/chapter of the story. I'm not surprised they had to change the fundamental way the story was delivered. Anyway, I'm not passing judgement yet. Hopefully it will still be a good film in it's own right.

And honestly, it would've been a challenging book to adapt properly unless you had a large ensemble cast where actors like Brad Pitt would be OK with only acting in a specific scene/chapter of the story.

Which is why it would've worked better as a high budget miniseries on HBO or something.

I'm not surprised they had to change the fundamental way the story was delivered.

Like so many have already stated, the only think reason it has the title World War Z is for existing name recognition. With the obvious changes made already, why not just make it its own film and save themselves the royalties paid to Max Brooks?

Anyway, I'm not passing judgement yet. Hopefully it will still be a good film in it's own right.

True. To this day I can still enjoy the Starship Troopers movie for what it is, while still understanding that it sucks balls compared to the source material. I doubt I will see it in the theater, and I'll give it an honest chance when I watch it, but the connection to the book is hard to overlook, since the book was so entertaining and well done.