Hasegawa 1/72 scale VF-25 Messiah

EXO

Its telling when people are rejoicing for the decals out of a Hasegawa box. It could only be worse if people thought Academy (circa 1999) was better.

Academy was just established back in the 90s. They bought the old steel molds of other big companies like hasegawa. That os why they look inferior when compared with newer molds from other companies.

That's it. I did not realize it's the same one they put out back in the early 2000s. Guess I'll put in an order but it seems it's coming in late as it still say Nov restock. Thanks.

You're welcome !. ;)

Anyone one seen a English color chart yet? Did not see it on Hobby Search scans.

Nop at the moment. I receive mine yesterday, all color are in Japanese, but the paint numbers are there so no big problem. If a remember well, the Vf-1J in 1/48 came only in Japanese too, need to check!!

Looking at the instructions, Hasegawa didn't ask to tint the canopy clear purple, it is correct to paint the canopy, or is more "realistic" just clear?

Thanks

Edited by joscasle

Academy was just established back in the 90s. They bought the old steel molds of other big companies like hasegawa. That os why they look inferior when compared with newer molds from other companies.

Umm... I'm talking about Academy's decals, which are legendary for their terrible quality. They were thick, unable to conform to any surface, and do not react to any setting solution. It was only when they moved to cartograph that they improved significantly. Hasegawa has always been mediocre: somewhat thick, big transparency and an inability to make white. Yet they are still better than bandai.

As for kits academy's stuff is pretty good; their tempest and 109 is very good.

Umm... I'm talking about Academy's decals, which are legendary for their terrible quality. They were thick, unable to conform to any surface, and do not react to any setting solution. It was only when they moved to cartograph that they improved significantly. Hasegawa has always been mediocre: somewhat thick, big transparency and an inability to make white. Yet they are still better than bandai.

As for kits academy's stuff is pretty good; their tempest and 109 is very good.

About Hasegawa decals, they improve a lot since 2009, the decals still are somewhat thick, but improve the white (the white is white now) and reduce the transparency a lot. The Vf-19 in 1/48 has a great decal sheet, and the new VF-1 in 1/48 too. The Vf-11 and VF-25 decal sheet are the same, at least looks the same to me. Bandai decals are terrible, Tamiya decals for example its the same as hasegawa. The best decals came from Cartograft,Microscale and Aztec, most of the 3 party manufactures use them as a supplier (fightertown decals, afterburner, etc) but is very hard to find great decals for science fiction subjects.

IMHO you can't find better Macross decals than Hasegawa's, there are some garage decals, those are good to replace Bandai ones but not Hasegawa's, http://old.samueldecal.com/ is an example, I use them in two kits, great service from Sam, but the decals need to be treated with care.

Edited by joscasle

About Hasegawa decals, they improve a lot since 2009, the decals still are somewhat thick, but improve the white (the white is white now) and reduce the transparency a lot. The Vf-19 in 1/48 has a great decal sheet, and the new VF-1 in 1/48 too. The Vf-11 and VF-25 decal sheet are the same, at least looks the same to me. Bandai decals are terrible, Tamiya decals for example its the same as hasegawa. The best decals came from Cartograft,Microscale and Aztec, most of the 3 party manufactures use them as a supplier (fightertown decals, afterburner, etc) but is very hard to find great decals for science fiction subjects.

Actually, most manufacturers use Cartograph as a subcontractors: Tamiya and Academy do. I have Tamiya's 2013 A6M2 and IL-2 boxings and its almost certainly a cartograph set in there. According to people that I know who work in the field Microscale isn't nearly as good technically as them either from ... which is why cartograph is winning the market

Its possible that Hasegawa has also moved to cartograph, or improved their in-house capability. I looked through some of my newer Hasegawa boxes; Mustang III combo (2/2012), Ki-84 combo (8/2012) and Pearl Harbor combo (11/2011.) the Pearl Harbour combo has an older set but you may be right that the newer ones seem to be of a different quality... though the white on the Ki-84 set looks off. The Mustang kit looks and feels a lot like the Tamiya A6M2 sets's decals.

IMHO you can't find better Macross decals than Hasegawa's, there are some garage decals, those are good to replace Bandai ones but not Hasegawa's, http://old.samueldecal.com/ is an example, I use them in two kits, great service from Sam, but the decals need to be treated with care.

Well that's kinda because you really only have two options: hasegawa or bandai. One other option is to scan a bandai sheet and then ask someone to make a set for you. I know a few people who might be able to do that, if you're interested.

Wow thanks! I never knew about Samuel Decals. How are their whites? Are they opaque? The last 3rd party decals I got from Hong Kong for the 1/60 toys had whites that were so translucent that they weren't even useable.

I've got something in mind for that, my friend. I'll put it up in the "on the bench" thread when I've got more to share. Without going too OT, the Tamiya kits are outrageously detailed and amazing! I'd heard good things but they're even better than I was expecting.

They are 72nd. That Zero Kit is one of the best ever made in the scale, ever (except for the Fine Molds A6M series... which is the greatest kits ever made). I finished one recently and it was amazing. The F4U is awesome as well.... I've built several. Frankly, I'm more excited for to see your build of the Tamiya kits than the VF-25. Here's a in-progress shot of the Zero:

7T4_zpsc3a32626.jpg

Edited by Noyhauser

So, has anyone started on their messiah yet?

Probably in 2 weeks or so. I re-boxed my 1/32 scale Phantom, since the weather turned too cold to paint with the window open, and it's too big to fit in my fume hood. Right now, I've got a goofy little project going on that I'll share after I give it away (present for my favorite band, who's coming to town in 2 weeks).

Yeh, my will crumpled and I ordered two. One I'm going to do as a Jolly Roger's tribute plane, sine I have the decals for it and I just love the way the Bandai one turned out.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/toyark/101574-macross-thread-1739.html

The other, I may use the Bandai parts from Luca's RF-25 to make a static one with the drones.

That'll give me a coupl eof kits to kit-bash into other fighters or even a starship or two!! :D

The other, I may use the Bandai parts from Luca's RF-25 to make a static one with the drones.

Since these have made an appearance I've decided to pose my Bandai's as Battroids and convert (where needed) the Hase' kits into an appropriate fighter to display along side. I've got the prophecy and Luca's mount to consider. Once Hase' releases (hopefully) a 1/72 VF-11 Battroid and the VF-27 fighter I should be all set! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...