Hasegawa 1/72 scale VF-25 Messiah

EXO

Not if you like your decals to look like they were copied from a magazine article. :p

The printing process they used on the decals resulted in basically the worst printed decals I've ever seen in any kit I've ever built. They look like newsprint, because they didn't use true colors, and made up the decals by printing dots of varying colors. From across the room you don't see it much, but up close, you see the speckles horribly. They didn't even bother to actually print orange on the SMS logo, it's a mix of reddish and yellow speckles.

Also, they're terribly transparent, because there's no ink layer underneath. The yellow stripes on Ozma come out a sickly pale greenish yellow because you're seeing the gray through them.

The printing process they used on the decals resulted in basically the worst printed decals I've ever seen in any kit I've ever built.

Of course he's built all of three kits in his whole life so take that with a grain of salt. :p

Of course he's built all of three kits in his whole life so take that with a grain of salt. :p

I agree with Chronocidal 110% - he basically said what I feel exactly... and I've built waaay too many models (including the Bandai 1/72 VF-25F & S)

Edited by wm cheng

The decals on the bandais are terribad. I've built everything from Revell / Monogram as a child to hase's, tamiyas and even kinect and trumpeteer and never have I see decals that sucked so bad as the Frontier ones.

The trimming isn't the issue, it's the dot-matrix printing and utter lack of white backing that makes them look awful.

Also its just not the horrible screened colours, its the decal film itself. It doesn't react to the traditional Micro SOL or Micro SET decal setting solutions at all. However, it seems to only work with Mr. Hobby SOL decal setting solution, but it doesn't react to a little, then all of a sudden, it cracks and disintegrates when a little too much is applied. They seem brittle and inflexible as compared to other decals.

:lol: Is it wrong that it's pretty much true?

Maybe I should rephrase.. they're the worst printed decals I've seen compared with the shoebox full of other decals from all my other kits I've never actually put on, because I'm a lazy bum who can't make the effort to get my airbrush working to paint anything. ^_^

meh, I haven't actually used the decals on my VF-25 kits (I still haven't built them for that matter, maybe this summer...) but they don't look much different from standard Gundam decals to me, and I prefer Gundam decals to most brands out there (I find them easier to work with).

Edited by anime52k8

• 1 month later...

meh, I haven't actually used the decals on my VF-25 kits (I still haven't built them for that matter, maybe this summer...) but they don't look much different from standard Gundam decals to me, and I prefer Gundam decals to most brands out there (I find them easier to work with).

Gundam are made by Bandai as well, so they'll probably have the same "screened" methods to achieve the various colours and similar decal carrier films. Treat yourself and get a kit with Cartograf decals - some Hasegawa kits and Academy kits have them - you'll be spoiled and never go back again! Or maybe not, because you'll never use Bandai decals again ;-)

Ah, I was getting a bit worried because we haven't seen anything yet. I'm so excited by this news - can't wait! Higher rez please.

Edited by wm cheng

Gundam are made by Bandai as well, so they'll probably have the same "screened" methods to achieve the various colours and similar decal carrier films. Treat yourself and get a kit with Cartograf decals - some Hasegawa kits and Academy kits have them - you'll be spoiled and never go back again! Or maybe not, because you'll never use Bandai decals again ;-)

Why thank you. I mean, even though I've built Hase and Academy kits before and still prefer Bandai Decals based on personal experience, you clearly know everything there is to know about everything and You're opinion obviously overrides my worthless plebeian tastes. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, oh kind and merciful model god. :rolleyes:

Why thank you. I mean, even though I've built Hase and Academy kits before and still prefer Bandai Decals based on personal experience, you clearly know everything there is to know about everything and You're opinion obviously overrides my worthless plebeian tastes. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, oh kind and merciful model god. :rolleyes:

Glad I saw your "interest: sarcasm"... :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to seeing wm cheng's build of this kit when it's out.

Graham

Now THAT will be the first Macross Frontier model I will actually enjoy... ;-)

Me, too. Do want!!! (and I hate meme-speak)

... and I'd like to formally request your great step-by-step thread on this build if possible. A lot of people on this forum, specially the ones interested on Hasegawa kits (like myself), will definitely agree on considering your work as our benchmark.

Edited by ivorysniper

Nose looks really off. hopefully it'll be fixed/not an issue on the final production piece.

As it turns out, the length is the same as the Bandai version, but the profile of the canopy is higher. Probably to accommodate a correctly scaled pilot...

post-1187-0-39568900-1374775088_thumb.jpg post-1187-0-52498900-1374775103_thumb.jpg

So I guess by that reasoning, Bandai thinks landing gears must be built like real men?

....and WHAT a boy!!!

"That's the catapult hook"

Looks like a nice model but I'll have to stick to the two unbuilt Bandai -25 kits of the Prophecy and the Luca I have waiting downstairs.

I'm glad someone pointed out the nose length. In the pic below the shots of Kawamori looking at the model, the nose the VF-25 appears to be so much longer. Still, no matter what, I am looking forward to seeing the final product.

@KH355 Given its Hasegawa, that shouldn't be a problem. I have most of the Mac Zero kits, some DYRl and some Real World Fighters (F-18, F-4). They're usually on top of it with keeping the lineart and details correct. I'm very confident that Hasegawa will produce an amazing Messiah.

• 5 weeks later...