Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

I think a lot of what Bandai tried to accomplish could be executed much better, in a larger scale. At 1/72 the VF-1 is rather small. At 1/100 it's even smaller(though that is a popular scale for Gunpla given the MG line). From what I can see, if this were made in 1/48 scale with some screws utilized and more pins, and improved engineering, it could be a stellar kit. As is Bandai crammed a lot into what becomes a small model.

With that said, some of you who bought this kit and have complained to no end(not all of you, I understand a lot of the criticisms, I don't have this kit and I can already tell it's not perfect) are better off sticking with the toys. In fact some of you who have complained and compared this to the toys seem content with the toys. So if that's the case, why even try to improve this model if you've repeatedly posted your disdain for it while at the same time, posting how much better the Yamato V2 1/60 toys are? Save yourself the grief and stick with the toys.

For guys that want a 1/72 realistic traditional model, the Hasegawa is the best pick. For those who want a fairly accurate transformable toy, the Yamato V2 1/60 VF-1 is the best pick. For those who want a modern transformable Macross VF-1 plamo Gunpla style, get this kit. Just know that due to its transformation it's not going to be as stable as most Gunpla and even transformable Gunpla. It's a lot of moving parts and transformation mechanism at a small scale. The fact that Bandai Hobby was even able to accomplish this feat is impressive, but that does not at all mean it's a perfect execution. Something that ambitious ought to be in a larger scale in my opinion.

Yeah, there is a lot of complaining that it doesn't do one thing or another as well as other various iterations of the VF-1.

Sadly though, I think there are just as many shortcomings that are purely from Bandai borking up the design, entirely due to their own lack of thought and testing. The screwed up leg tabs, the sloppy joints, and lousy overall ability to stay in one piece aren't just lousy compared to other VF-1s, they're lousy period.

There's some truly amazing ingenuity in this thing, but the pants-on-head stupid mistakes they made drag it down considerably. They should know better.

Edited by Chronocidal

again i would love to have the roy version with strike pack of this kit. Its not that i like the kit, its just im a collector of anything roy yellow/black items. regardless of its crappyness.

i guess it wouldn't hurt to add one crappy bandai 1/72 kit to my roy only collects.

come to momma crappy roy :)

Edited by JET7

I wonder if Bandai hit on the idea of producing this because of how many of the old Imai variable kits were being sold during the latest round of repops?

That might explain what market the new kit is being aimed at.

Bertt

Yeah, there is a lot of complaining that it doesn't do one thing or another as well as other various iterations of the VF-1.

Sadly though, I think there are just as many shortcomings that are purely from Bandai borking up the design, entirely due to their own lack of thought and testing. The screwed up leg tabs, the sloppy joints, and lousy overall ability to stay in one piece aren't just lousy compared to other VF-1s, they're lousy period.

There's some truly amazing ingenuity in this thing, but the pants-on-head stupid mistakes they made drag it down considerably. They should know better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm cancelling the Roy pre order I had, and will putting up the unused strike/weapons kit for Hikaru up in the for sale section. I would have been better off spending my money on another VF-25 kit, they're WAY better thought out.

That being said, I liked several things they did with the kit, and if they can take those positive things, and properly apply them to a 1/60 DX version, I think they could have something awesome.

-Kyp

Bandai Over-engineered the kit to the point that it has a lot of flaws that are hard for me to overlook while building it.

• Fighter leg locking tabs in the wrong place, causing inward slant of legs in fighter mode
  • Despite there being Tab holes on the arms facing the legs, there are no tabs from the legs to lock the arms in. This causes the arms to not be of level easily in fighter mode
  • NO Locking mechanism in fighter for the Backpack. It relies solely on the level of the arms below to stay straight
  • The Tail-fin design leaves a lot to be desired. The Plastic on POM connection makes it very hard to get the fins out at equal angles. Plus, one of the pom units is mounted lower than the other, leaving a lil "hole" on top in fighter mode. In all the tail-fins feel completely floppy and unstable, especially when deployed in fighter mode.
  • The two back panels on the back of the legs, meant for "locking in parts" are tight enough to be a pain in the ass to open but floppy enough to not lock in anything at all. Bandai could have easily installed bypassed these pieces by using a tighter slider with bumps on the slider to lock in the pieces when fully inserted or extended.
  • The Landing gear lights on the legs are kept in by tiny .5 mm pegs. They will fall out....constantly
  • The inner leg mechanism that extends / retracts the inner leg doesn't work well. There's a small tab from the ankle joint that pushes the bottom out easily but the top has two lock positions that are hard to change.
  • Because of two pointless slats that stick out on the bottom, the arms are a paint to get out from fighter position to gerwalk / battroid position.
  • The flap that locks in the hips in battroid comes loose if you blow on the battroid.
  • The neck joints are floppy and the only way you get the head in correct position for fighter is pure friction in both X, Y and Z directions.
  • Backpack sits really uncomfortably high on this tiny, thin piece of plastic. THis part is not only extremely fragile, It's LOOSE
  • NO Locking mechanisms in Battroid Mode
  • Hands, if not glued together, will fall apart just about everytime you insert them into the arms for fighter mode.
  • The Gunpod handle is super easy to pop off due to a needless rotating mechanism that isn't even USED in fighter mode. as you pop the entire assembly off when going to fighter mode
  • The Hands cannot even HOLD the gunpod properly / easily. Not enough clearance for the index to go into the trigger nor the Thumb to WRAP around the Handle!!!!
  • In fighter mode, there are raised areas around the tabs that log the leg panels in and these cause a large unsightly gap in the front.
  • Gerwalk poseability is limited at best. It's not much better than the Imai 1/72s, no joke
  • The Fit on the legs is not flush, causing irritating gappage on the legs.

It' the culmination of these issues, and probably more, that has me unlikely to ever give this kit a chance again ( and I bought two.....the second one is sealed and in storage now)

This kit is NOT for Gunpla Builders, it's for people who are masochists. I gave this kit the benefit of the doubt but I am absolutely sure now that it takes much less work to work on a Hase than this atrocity

Edited by Duymon

I think a lot of what Bandai tried to accomplish could be executed much better, in a larger scale. At 1/72 the VF-1 is rather small. At 1/100 it's even smaller(though that is a popular scale for Gunpla given the MG line). From what I can see, if this were made in 1/48 scale with some screws utilized and more pins, and improved engineering, it could be a stellar kit. As is Bandai crammed a lot into what becomes a small model...

... The fact that Bandai Hobby was even able to accomplish this feat is impressive, but that does not at all mean it's a perfect execution. Something that ambitious ought to be in a larger scale in my opinion.

exactly my own thoughts. scale this thing up to 1/48, take advantage of the vast improvements in engineering that would have come part and parcel

with such a scale-up, and the result would have been something positively god-sent, that anyone would have been proud to display alongside their 1/60v.IIs.

hell, i bet BANDAI could have even crammed such a kit inside the existing over-sized box, even...

also, anyone here have one of these kits assembled that they really don't care to hold onto overly much? would you be willing to pass it along my way?

my own copy was bunged up. the backpack hinge broke, and i bunged up some attempts to "correct" some of the many issues.

i was so ultimately disappointed/pissed/frustrated that i just up and pitched whole works into the trash.

on further rumination, i wish i wouldn't have done any of that. i wish i would have just put the whole thing back in the box,

and kept it for something to admire for it's sheer engineering cluelessness, or at least the one Valk in existence i can feel good about laughing at, .

that's why i'd like to get another assembled example, if anyone has one that they'd rather forget ever existed...

Edited by Shaorin

Could any of the guys who have assembled this tell if it would be possible put some little springs inside the leg delivery actuator??so it could be forced to the closed position.... some pics of this part and how it attaches to the back plate would be apreciated...

Could any of the guys who have assembled this tell if it would be possible put some little springs inside the leg delivery actuator??

nope, no possibility for that, too small, tolerances too tight, sorry.

some pics of this part and how it attaches to the back plate would be apreciated...

those panels DO NOT latch into place in BATTROID. just one of the many grumbles we all share in regards to this gross disappointment of a VF PLAMODEL...

Edited by Shaorin

again i would love to have the roy version with strike pack of this kit. Its not that i like the kit, its just im a collector of anything roy yellow/black items. regardless of its crappyness.

i guess it wouldn't hurt to add one crappy bandai 1/72 kit to my roy only collects.

come to momma crappy roy :)

Hahah...you too? I know I have a Roy coin purse preordered somewheres... :)

I'm I the only one who enjoy this kit? :ph34r::p

When the head is seperated from the body it could land on it's own. :p

Seriously, this kit do need some improvement, I figure it's going to sit on my desk at work, I won't have to worry about getting stolen.

post-7962-0-01750100-1374432012_thumb.jpg

It's actually quite enjoyable to build.

I finally got around to gluing most of the externals of the legs, some of the nose seams and the back plate. It's a MAJOR improvement, as it gives the kit a feeling of solidity that was lacking.

Edited by sketchley

Seriously, this kit do need some improvement, I figure it's going to sit on my desk at work, I won't have to worry about getting stolen.

I enjoyed building it, I mean in some way it's NICE to look at, but the transformation is so flawed I wanna throw it against a wall and hope it doesn't survive. I don't know how you can keep the backpack from falling down, just the slightest movement will cause it to flop from Battroid mode.

I've pretty much packed it back into the box with some extra stuff I had laying around to keep it safe and put it on my shelf. I have NEVER done that to a model or toy in my life.

I don't know how you can keep the backpack from falling down, just the slightest movement will cause it to flop from Battroid mode.

Have you:

a) properly transformed it (engaged the "lock" in the backpack joint)?

b) added the adapter piece for the display stand?

Have you:

a) properly transformed it (engaged the "lock" in the backpack joint)?

b) added the adapter piece for the display stand?

Yeah on A, B eh.....hate using that you shouldn't need to use that but yeah that locks it, but I don't like that. Then there's also the panel under the nose cone, that keeps popping out with the leg bars inside so no clue if that's in wrong or not. There's also those panels that kept the legs locked in fightermode those don't rest to well between the front and back torso in battroid, and my fists break open and the fingers always fall off.

Haha, baby valk.

Then there's also the panel under the nose cone, that keeps popping out with the leg bars inside so no clue if that's in wrong or not.

I've only transformed it once to Battroid - and that was before I glued the legs - but I found the leg bar panel in the nose the least of the problems. I also found the instructions to be less than clear on what one is supposed to do. In short, the tab has to be oriented in the right direction so it slides into the right spot inside the nose, and the panel should lock closed over top.

Again, the instructions are not exactly visually clear. Experiment with orientation and placement (but do not force it. If you think you have to force it, then it's not the right orientation/placement).

There's also those panels that kept the legs locked in fightermode those don't rest to well between the front and back torso in battroid, and my fists break open and the fingers always fall off.

As those panels are designed to only rest on the back torso in battroid, the only thing you could do is put some sort of tacky material that won't stain the plastic to keep them in place. Ie: the tacky Plasticine for putting posters on the wall.

The wrists are another must-glue place.

I'm, just going to give this kit to my nephew, its just a horrible kit.

Toldya. this thing could've... SHOULD HAVE been great.

BANDAI clearly dumped the project on a rookie Dev team.

MACROSS isn't GUNDAM after all, and for BANDAI, these days especially,

anything that ain't MSG related is barely even worthy of their lowest tiers of engineering staff... :angry:

Edited by Shaorin

Cancer107 is building it now, too (see his blog). I asked him what he thought of it. Long story short, "I can not recommend it to any people."

When someone of his skill level says that, it's pretty much a killer on having any desire of wanting this kit (though honestly, I had no desire for this kit).

Cancer107 is building it now, too (see his blog). I asked him what he thought of it. Long story short, "I can not recommend it to any people."

that just about says it all regarding this Piece of Chit...

Dalong has en extensive photo review for people who are still on the fence:

http://dalong.net/review/etc/mv01/mv01_p.htm

Here is the Google Translate....uhhh some of it is a bit wonky.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdalong.net%2Freview%2Fetc%2Fmv01%2Fmv01_p.htm&act=url

The gist I get is that the kit is nice in fighter mode but flawed overall even with its newer engineering ideas.

"Battroid / fighter mode size comparison of former tobacco"

"Big hair is neatly arranged. Why come to soybean exceptionally Fighter mode in order to avoid the lower part is like heojeon."

- Proverb

Edited by Shaorin