Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

Oh the gimmicks companies use to get you to buy their stuff! Even Lego does it with their figures and sets. You know how many times I've had to explain that to my children!? :( - MT

• 2 weeks later...

I just receive my "Macross Mechanics" book, with a lot of pictures of this kit, and I have to say that I didn't like a lot of things. I was thinking in to buy one to make a Gerwalk, but I prefer to buy a Hase Fighter and a Battroid and convert them.

I like the fighter mode of this kit.....not so much on the other configurations.

GERWALK is the best. Simply because there is nothing else available remotely close to its look and quality in that form [for those that don't: I'm talking about plastic model kits ONLY].

Wow... the Roy is leaps and bounds better than the Hikaru. The legs aren't messed up in fighter :0

They aren't messed up, because he didn't snap them into place. :p

I'll agree, this kit is good if you want just a gerwalk model, but honestly, I can't stand the way they (mis)designed the knee joint. It just looks terrible in general, and gerwalk is the worst offender because it exposes the entire goofy mechanism they used.

I'd also love to know what their thought processes were when they decided to do the M&Ms...

"So, Millia's is supposed to be the same as Max, but with red instead of blue... but we're going to ignore that, and make some of her parts different colors because we feel like it." <_< I mean.. really.. there's being "creative," and then there's being outright obstinate about flaunting your refusal to actually make things as they were originally done. I don't get it. It's not like you can't paint it the right color anyway, but why be so specific as to just make several pieces entirely the wrong color? It's just a pain in the backside to fix.

I'd go even further: The Bandai 1/72 fully transformable VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Anniversary is the BEST Bandai 1/72 fully transformable VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Anniversary EVER.

:lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

I keep waffling over buying this, glueing it in fighter mode, and painting it up as a low viz VF1.

If you have cash to spare and have absolutely no other better stuff to get, you could play around with the idea of buying it. At the very least, i did found the build enjoyable even though it ends up as a disaster for a transforming kit. Before you glue it together, play around with the transformation first.

However, if one is skilled at model building, i think it's better to get the hasegawa vf-1's instead of getting this to leave it in fighter.

Edited by close313

Greetings,

I haven't build a model kit in over five years so I decided to give Bandai's Valkyrie a try. After seeing this kit at my local hobby shop, I was pretty stoked and wanted to rekindle my 80's youth and return to the hobby. I am not a Macross purist so the dimensions didn't bother me but after looking at the Hasegawas offerings, the head does look a tad big. Overall I was very pleased with the Valk's proportions.

This kit was not a fun build and became a BEAR to put together. After years away from the hobby this was not the kit I should have started with. Since it didn't need any glue I thought I was golden! I must have fused up a storm when it came time to apply the decals. This was my first Bandai kit and after this build I believe this might be my last. I will try Hasegawa’s offerings next time. Again, I love the proportions of the kit and it looks freaking awesome in fighter mode but the build was torture!

I don't even want to try and transform this from fighter to a mech. Parts were popping off just taking these photos.

CaribMar

post-25386-0-99508500-1388489139_thumb.jpg

post-25386-0-47633200-1388489163_thumb.jpg

post-25386-0-71446700-1388489185_thumb.jpg

post-25386-0-03215900-1388491128_thumb.jpg

post-25386-0-20178400-1388491155_thumb.jpg

Edited by okinawaHAI!

You even added weathering to it too! Don't worry, EVERYONE has had some gripes with the Bandai transformable valks. Some of us suspect there is a hard core Gundam guy back in Japan trying to sabotage the Macross projects :p Don't give up - you conquered one of the tougher kits in recent years. - MT