Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

my word this thing looks positively awful! Its proportions don't look right at all and some of its articulation just aren't right either!? Honestly why are they even bothering?? Definitely going to give this one a miss..

If this is just a model kit, then why is Bandai BOLDLY advertised it as VERIABLE VALKYRIE and can be transform into all three modes. This is where you are wrong my friend.

he is not wrong. All the MW modelers told you in these same threat that these bandai release will be bad, but a lot of people brought it and now are complaining.

wow this kit grew udders really fast and bandai is really milking it. Why couldnt the markings for the Roy version have been included in the initial release?

Well yes and there are some pre colored Gunplay like parts in this kit.

Too bad this kit is passable at best...

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit! I wanted to pick up the FAST Packs as soon as they were released (I was thinking it was the last weekend of the month), AND I was in the area but opted to not go to the model shop because I was just there last week to get paint. >.<;;;

Anyhow, release page with all the gory details of all the variants and their gimmicks:

http://bandai-hobby.net/site/character_macross.html

Dammit! I wanted to pick up the FAST Packs as soon as they were released (I was thinking it was the last weekend of the month), AND I was in the area but opted to not go to the model shop because I was just there last week to get paint. >.<;;;

Anyhow, release page with all the gory details of all the variants and their gimmicks:

http://bandai-hobby.net/site/character_macross.html

I saw several of the super packs available yesterday when I went out shopping, but none of the actual kit.

It'll be interesting how many (if any) my usual shop brought in - as it doesn't look like very many of the VF-1 and Strike Pack sets moved after I picked up mine.

(Before anyone jumps all over these new kits: the store also has handfuls of the VF-25S Armour Pack, Macross Armour Factory, 1/144 VF-25/VF-29 and so on in stock from way back when. In short, it's Macross itself, not these new kits per se, that are not selling like hotcakes.)

From modelling mags I was aware that they had changed the hand armour (rounded edges) and the Super packs have the TV version decals... but in the link are those things to lock the leg transfer plates to the back???

This kit looks quite wonderful from the following review... however, the author of the video is quite clear on the fact that the hip joint s**ks in battroid mode. I still believe that I'll make my own hip joint with whatever raw materials I have (RC airplane wood - balsa, bass, etc... - styrene, and leftovers from other kits.)

Note: I still haven't received my kit from hlj, so I still do not have my "own personal opinion".

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Seeing as I don't play with my models the particularly finicky transformation is not a great concern for me.

It would simply be a matter of transforming it once in a while in order to display it in the different modes. These

videos actually make the kit look not half bad and have me thinking about picking 1or 2 up just to have a mod

in my collection that can show the transformation. Plus part of me still wants to fiddle with it to see what mods

can be done - particularly to the knees in gerwalk mode.

Not positive that I'm gonna get one just a lot closer after seeing those videos than I was before.

• 3 weeks later...

locked in valk mode.. not as bad as i think before.. with a few tweakings..

i find the nose of these bandai much better than hasegawas.. hasegawas are too pointy.

1441284_654343317939979_1829487263_n_zps

1441386_654385851269059_87718873_n_zps89

love it for display. since it glued shut to valk mode.. its fun to swoosh it around.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm a little late to this thread but I picked one up on ebay for just under $40 about a month ago - couldn't resist for that price!
Kind of on the fence about it though... I love the new tooling/engineering/transformation/ - yeah, yeah, a model isn't supposed to have moving parts but dammit, that makes these kits fun! - /decal options/full color instruction manual, box art and overall detail of it. But, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I agree that a lot of the proportions are off in more than just a few places. The head is HUGE, the hands are kind of skeletal, the chest plate seems a bit elongated, the nose seems a bit too narrow and the arms are a bit on the scrawny side. The old Imai kits seem to have better proportion for gerwalk and battroid modes overall - and who didn't like the metal landing gear on the fat fighter mode?
Just throwing in my two cents... I plan on doing a side by side build/comparison and throwing lots of pics up on here after the holidays so we'll see how it goes!
:D