Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

this is what im doing....................like you can see with the hasegawa head and arms the proportions are significantly improved also the strike parts looks promising right now I am try to find the way to can be attached

summarizing put the hasegawa head side by side with the original you can notice the oversized and bad sculp

PD. sorry for the poor image only had the phone camera at hand

post-3872-0-28960400-1375123181_thumb.jpg

The 1/72 VF-25F kit is the single worst kit I've ever built ever built in my entire life. nothing could possibly be more un-fun to build.

Um.... I know... the 1/72 Bandai VF-1.

The VF-25 isn't bad at all, just the decals suck

Um.... I know... the 1/72 Bandai VF-1.

The VF-25 isn't bad at all, just the decals suck

I just finished putting one together less than a month ago. It's an absolute piece of crap. Nothing locks together, articulation is worthless, panels never alined properly in any mode, a single half millimeter wide friction tab is all that holds the upper and lower halves of the battroid mode together.

I just finished putting one together less than a month ago. It's an absolute piece of crap. Nothing locks together, articulation is worthless, panels never alined properly in any mode, a single half millimeter wide friction tab is all that holds the upper and lower halves of the battroid mode together.

Ouch. Do you mean that it is even worse than the old ARII kit(s)? And unfortunately the 1/60 Yamato unpainted kits are unavailable at least from hlj... From what I understood the main problems were:

- hip joint in battroid mode (I planned to make a modification for this, by glueing the hip axles with a metal rod going through them... and removing this axle completely from valk when in gerwalk or fighter mode)

- floppy backpack (which I thought about solving with magnets for the battroid and fighter modes)

- poorly fixed legs/thrusters in fighter mode (solvable with tabs/magnets?)

And once again, regarding the fragile articulations, sheet aluminum was the way I intended going, as shown in pics... by Valkyrie2008.

Now, yes, on the one hand, the whining on this thread and on amazon.jp (google translate helps understand the reviews) on the other hand, make me worry. But anyways it's just a kit. Not the end of the world. Remember guys, the north pole has just turned into a north pool, an so many other things gong wrong these days... and worst of all, the SDF-1 still hasn't crashed on an island in the Pacific Ocean while it was planned for 1999.

So many things going wrong everywhere, why worry about this "failed" VF-1?

Getting back on topic, l may risk picking up one of these to see is it really as bad as everyone is saying.

Graham

try one. you've honestly nothing to lose.... (besides your overall good humor for the day... :p )

The Japanese modelers are hating this according to the reviews on amazon japan (currently only at two stars) http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B00C0NS0KW/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

can you honestly blame them for half a millisecond?

こんなひどいものなら、出さないで欲しかった。

時間の無駄、です。

Translation: Because it's so bad I wish it never came out. A Waste of time.

couldn't have put it any better myself... ;)

Edited by Shaorin

Everything I see about this kit makes me think most of it's flaws are the result of being aimed at people who primarily/exclusively build Bandai's gundam models, which tend to have many of these same issues- especially transforming kits. (Almost every zeta gundam kit I've ever built screams to mind...) That crowd seems to be something of a minority here, so I'm not too surprised to see this kit going over poorly with so many Macross-heads. Personally, I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on one of these to see what I can do with it, but I'm betting it helps a lot to know what you're going in for.

Personally, I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on one of these to see what I can do with it, but I'm betting it helps a lot to know what you're going in for.

The build is quite enjoyable (no comment on play/pose-ability as I'm still "building" mine). That said, I recommend using glue and not only relying on friction to keep the kit together (as it was "designed" to).

The only other point (and this was something reiterated by modelling magazines), triple check the orientation of the parts when assembling - especially with the smaller pieces involved in the shoulder transformation assembly.

Edited by sketchley

I always glue, sand and paint any model I do 'seriously' anyway, so that's what I expected anyway. Frankly, I tend to find that bandai robots always benefit from glue anyway, even if they're meant to be designed so it's not strictly necessary. I will definitely keep that in mind for the shoulders, too. Especially during final assembly after everything's painted, I'm betting that's gonna be absolutely critical.

http://collectiondx.com/toy_review/2013/vf1as_valkyrie

Here is my review. I even got HD video that's longer than 9 minutes!

Man I just want to go back to Muv-Luv now.

Ha ha ha :-) I loved your review! Most especially the ending! "Father, please forgive me!" :-D

The build is quite enjoyable...

i was indeed for me as well. smooth as could be expected.was my initial impression.

for my personal part, at least, things simply went down very hard and very fast from therein, unfortunately...

i was indeed for me as well. smooth as could be expected.was my initial impression.

for my personal part, at least, things simply went down very hard and very fast from therein, unfortunately...

And then when we put the whole thing together it took a 180

And then when we put the whole thing together it took a 180

and stalled itself right into a dip in the Indian Ocean... MAVERICK!!-i mean-BANDAI!!!! :p

Edited by Shaorin

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks, I'm completed my kit. Now I can say, I will never built another one of this kit ever again, unless Bandai fix all the issues. If any of you thinking of picking up one of these, don't bother, unless you just want to have it on display and never try to play with it. This kit is VERY fragile and it's not ment to be play with.

Please enjoy these photos.

post-7962-0-03838200-1376034704_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-20389100-1376034714_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-62467300-1376034728_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-36935000-1376034755_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-34909000-1376034807_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-70399300-1376034820_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-74868700-1376034839_thumb.jpg

As a hard core Macross fan, I keep trying to think of reasons to justify buying this kit, but as I already own the Yamato 1/48 and V.2 1/60 Hikaru VF-1A/S, I really can't think of any reason to own the Bandai kit.

I've read all the reviews and the only reasons I can think of is if (A) I was relatively poor and didn't already own and couldn't afford the Yamato or Arcadia releases, or (B) I had masochistic tendencies and loved froppy messes that don't lock together well :p

Graham

unless you just want to have it on display and never try to play with it. This kit is VERY fragile and it's not ment to be play with.

It is a model kit. Not a toy.

I really don't understand why there are some people in these forums who think otherwise, and are disappointed when they "discover" its a plastic model (as advertised).

I really don't understand why there are some people in these forums who think otherwise, and are disappointed when they "discover" its a plastic model (as advertised).

Maybe because it was marketed as Gunpla and Bandai has a buttload of Gunpla that can be worked with after building?

Bandai applied the whole Snap-together build-up and all the POM joints to this sucker, which means it's meant to be handled or at least posed. I would say maybe 5% of MW'ers actually woosh their valks around their houses and make gunpod noises. The majority of us "play" with our valks by transforming them and posing them, which this kit does Miserably.

I can't believe I bought two of these lol

If this is just a model kit, then why is Bandai BOLDLY advertised it as VERIABLE VALKYRIE and can be transform into all three modes. This is where you are wrong my friend.

post-7962-0-90869900-1376064484_thumb.jpg

indeed, while they may look like crap, the 30 year-old 1/100 and 1/72 ARII/IMAI/BANDAI Glue&Paint Model Kits are actually possessed of far more ruggedness and overall "playability"

than this 21st century, supposed GUNPLA-type BANDAI PLAMODEL... :(:angry:

Edited by Shaorin

Maybe because it was marketed as Gunpla and Bandai has a buttload of Gunpla that can be worked with after building?

Bandai applied the whole Snap-together build-up and all the POM joints to this sucker, which means it's meant to be handled or at least posed. I would say maybe 5% of MW'ers actually woosh their valks around their houses and make gunpod noises. The majority of us "play" with our valks by transforming them and posing them, which this kit does Miserably.

I can't believe I bought two of these lol

How many fully trandorming Gunpla (MS to MA, etc) are there where pieces won't fall of during the process? My last count. none. How many fully transforming Gunpla are there where you'll be worried about stressing/breaking a part during the process? All. Enough said.

Edited by Wiz13688

Where was it ever advertised as Gunpla?

I ask this, ESPECIALLY because Gunpla = ガンプラ = ガンダム プラモ (Gundam Plastic Model). Last I checked, Macross is NOT Gundam. Thus, there is NO WAY it could be ガンプラ.

If this is just a model kit, then why is Bandai BOLDLY advertised it as VERIABLE VALKYRIE and can be transform into all three modes. This is where you are wrong my friend.

So what? Just because a plastic model CAN transform, doesn't mean it is designed as a toy.

How many fully trandorming Gunpla (MS to MA, etc) are there where pieces won't fall of during the process? My last count. none. How many fully transforming Gunpla are there where you'll be worried about stressing/breaking a part during the process? All. Enough said.

The VF-25's were actually way better and didn't have falling off parts left and right. At least the 7-8 I own don't :p

Edited by Duymon

The VF-25's were actually way better and didn't have falling off parts left and right. At least the 7-8 I own don't :p

I have all the 1/72 VF-25 includimg Base, Super, Full Armored and Tornado version. All of them have major problems.

1) Have you ever got all the small pieces that makes up the wing sholder area to line up perfectly in fighter mode. If so, how long did it take you.

2) All the base model have nothing keeping the leg section lock onto the top of the fuslage in fighter mode which means it's a pain to get both leg section perfectly align. This was finally fixed in the Full Armored and Tornado

3)The main booster of the Superparts that goes on the wing will fall off with the drop of a hat.

4)The Gunpod is held onto the fuslage by friction from one tiny peg and will fall off easily.

5)The waist section is not the most solid during transformation. I always thought I'll break something when I transform them.

Edited by Wiz13688

For all the problems they both have, I'll say this much: The VF-25 kits look good and actually line up correctly if you don't transform them. I can't say the same for any picture I've seen of the VF-1.

I have a completed VF-25F which I completely hand-painted so the markings would be easy to tough up if they were scratched. I've transformed it a few times, and it generally holds together just fine. It takes work to get things to line up, but it works.

Edited by Chronocidal

All the VF have been advertise as Variable since the Imai 1/72 days and as someone who have actually built one. None of them can stand being transformed too many time without fittings getting loose and parts being stressed.

That said. I thought you build looks great.

Edited by Wiz13688

I have all the 1/72 VF-25 includimg Base, Super, Full Armored and Tornado version. All of them have major problems.

I have only the VF-27, and 2 (two!) parts were broken before I had even finished assembling it!

One of the shoulder joints (so, missing 1 arm in Fighter & GERWALK) and one of the alternate colour pieces on the gun pod - which is supposed to be removable as one has to remove it to open the gun up (it broke during the first test fitting). Later, one of the back joint broke while transforming. Suffice to say it remains in Fighter form.

1) Have you ever got all the small pieces that makes up the wing sholder area to line up perfectly in fighter mode. If so, how long did it take you.

Same problem with the VF-27.

2) All the base model have nothing keeping the leg section lock onto the top of the fuslage in fighter mode which means it's a pain to get both leg section perfectly align. This was finally fixed in the Full Armored and Tornado

Its a challenge to do it with the VF-27, but they must have fixed the problem by the time they got around to the VF-27.

4)The Gunpod is held onto the fuslage by friction from one tiny peg and will fall off easily.

The VF-27 uses the same arrangement as how the GU-11 is attached to the VF-1.

I've also built the Bandai VF-2SS and VF-19 Kai. Both also had stuff break during assembly (I think 1 piece apiece).

On breakage factor alone, this VF-1 kit trumps all those.

• 3 weeks later...