Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

Let's see if the magic of HJ's modelers can save this kit. Do I see a new nose here?

4b.jpg

Very nice, it's the first pics where it looks like a descent version of the VF-1. The hip joints seem also much longer than on the original kit which allows more natural poses. Strangely the head doesn't seem oversized at all in any of these shots, kudos to the photographer.

sure would be nice if BANDAI listened to HJ's input here and applied it to the upcoming 1S Focker and beyond,

but i'd certainly not be apt to be betting any money on such a possibility.

besides, only a complete redesign could possibly make this model truly presentable. dump those existing molds out at sea, BANDAI, and start. from . scratch.

'course they do. their job is to sell this turd to the unsuspecting...

I dunno man, that's a pretty good looking turd. I wonder how much effort they put into making it look this good. Usually HJ shows the step-by-steps to any mods they might do to a kit....are there any pics up somewhere?

I dunno man, that's a pretty good looking turd...

if HJ could successfully fix all of the kit's inherent issues,

and BANDAI directly applied them to an immediate ver.2.0 kit that all us non-pro modellers could enjoy, then i'd be more than happy to wholeheartedly agree... :)

Notice, they aren't showing you a view that shows how the alignments between the parts (don't) work in fighter.

But yeah, they really screwed up the leg packs hard. I think somewhere along the way, they realized that their borked-up kneecap design wouldn't actually be able to fold shut with the packs on unless they cut the height of the packs down. Now, the legs are barely drooped at all, because the tanks on the back of the leg have to be half (or less) the size of what they should be.

Looks like a new nose.

It absolutely is.

My advice for anyone on the fence who DOESN'T already have a Yamato V2 VF-1, to save their money, and wait for Arcadia to come out with Roy's or any of the other variants that I think they're likely to reissue. It will be money much better spent, and you'll be glad you did. Trust me.

-Kyp

It absolutely is.

My advice for anyone on the fence who DOESN'T already have a Yamato V2 VF-1, to save their money, and wait for Arcadia to come out with Roy's or any of the other variants that I think they're likely to reissue. It will be money much better spent, and you'll be glad you did. Trust me.

-Kyp

backing you up on that advice 200%

It absolutely is.

I thought we already reached an agreement earlier in this discussion that:

a) this is a model kit, not a toy

b) this is a model kit aimed at a different market segment than the Hasegawa kits are aimed at.

... and to counter your argument: I don't have a Yamato, have no need for one, and have no intention of getting one. I have a few Hasegawa kits, and they've been gathering dust in the closet for close to a decade. I have this kit, and its almost complete (finishing up panel lines and stickers). I'm satisfied with this kit, and am looking forward to getting the Strike Packs and the Roy Fokker release.

Personally, I think a lot of the frustrations that people are experiencing with this kit are due to not giving the kit the love it needs during construction, and not reading the instructions fully... :ph34r:

Edited by sketchley

you really dislike the 1/60v.II VF-1 that much?!? seriously dude, i cannot stress enough just how much you are honestly missing out on, not owning at least one... :(

Edited by Shaorin

Personally, I think a lot of the frustrations that people are experiencing with this kit are due to not giving the kit the love it needs during construction, and not reading the instructions fully... :ph34r:

If by "love" you mean taking the extra time and effort to rework/redesign/scratchbuild the things bandai blatantly screwed up, then maybe. But I mean, the fact that they screwed things up isn't a matter of opinion. Unless we're chalking up the legs being entirely cockeyed as "a new interpretation of the design."

Liberties taken with the design are one thing. Failing to test your molds to make sure the model assembles correctly is another entirely.

Liberties taken with the design are one thing. Failing to test your molds to make sure the model assembles correctly is another entirely.

What is this based off of? Months in advance, CAD designs were published in modelling magazines. There were even pictures of the parts, printed and assembled, before the molds were created.

So, again, it begs the question: have you guys assembled the kit properly?

PS: by love: I mean adding glue, among other things. ;)

Edited by sketchley

The fact that the legs are entirely cockeyed. Now, I haven't built one myself, and don't intend to, but I would trust the people here who already built them, and all the other supporting evidence saying they borked up the leg tabs.

CAD has a way of allowing you to make something that looks like it should work perfectly, and then failing miserably once the models are brought into the real world.

If there's a mistake being made, then oh well, but I have a really hard time believing so many experienced modelers would make the exact same type of mistake during assembly. Every single one I've seen built looks that way, leading me to think Bandai didn't test their molds enough.

Edited by Chronocidal

I believe everybody think so

I thought we already reached an agreement earlier in this discussion that:

a) this is a model kit, not a toy
b) this is a model kit aimed at a different market segment than the Hasegawa kits are aimed at.

... and to counter your argument: I don't have a Yamato, have no need for one, and have no intention of getting one. I have a few Hasegawa kits, and they've been gathering dust in the closet for close to a decade. I have this kit, and its almost complete (finishing up panel lines and stickers). I'm satisfied with this kit, and am looking forward to getting the Strike Packs and the Roy Fokker release.

I guess all the people who have assembled it think that the work's been done properly according to their abilities, who is here to judge that?
I've done it and took a long time to do so. The result is disappointing but I can understand that someone who has no better options may like it a lot.

Do I care whether this is a toy or a model kit? Not at all, that's only semantics IMO. After all, once one has assembled it it does exactly the same thing than my toys: it transforms.

What is this based off of? Months in advance, CAD designs were published in modelling magazines. There were even pictures of the parts, printed and assembled, before the molds were created.

PS: by love: I mean adding glue, among other things. ;)

Yeah, I've seen all those CAD designs but I don't remember having seen the cockeyed legs nor a place to leave some feedback.

Edited by Reïvaj

Do I care whether this is a toy or a model kit? Not at all, that's only semantics IMO. After all, once one has assembled it it does exactly the same thing than my toys: it transforms.

In this case, it's not mere semantics. A toy and a model are different. In short: durability.

But, that's missing the point I was making. Read up a few pages earlier in this thread as apparently my summary wasn't up to snuff.

Edited by sketchley

I've got one, so far my only regret is airbrushing it. Flaked paint fiesta! And my right wrist's balljoint snapped too because I failed to realise that the paint will make the joint tighter.I wish that I should have just built it OOB. They definitely need to reconsider not doing those super tiny pegs found at the landing gear doors. Like the VF-25 kits, they do not stay attached!!

Not going to comment too much as I don't have one yet and haven't assembled one. But I will just say that in this day and age, there should be a reasonable expectation that (when new), any transforming mecha pla-model or toy should (a) lock together reasonably well in all modes and (b) be reasonably non-froppy (to the extent that it can hold a pose).

If a model or toy fails those criteria, then I won't consider it for purchase.

Graham

i sure as hell did, exactly as instructions dictated. the model should have been amazing, and i had thought that it was going to be.

i was determined to do the best job with it i possibly could, detail painting and the whole nine yards. i was not about to screw off with this one.

i finished assembly, attempted a transformation, and it was altogether instantly clear that the model was a deeply flawed, unsalvageable mess.

seriously, a METRIC TON of issues abound that should have been long addressed to back in the CAD phase;

landing gear bay doors with pins so minutely tiny that they cannot even begin to hold the door panels securely in place,

FIGHTER mode leg-nacelle securing lugs WAY THE HELL OFF of where they should be, preventing proper interface,

shoulder-hinge-linkage assemblies that constantly pop free despite all the extensive implementation of metal shafts,

a wonky arm-shoulder rotation point that pops free all the damned time, et-cetera, et cetera, ET-EFFIN'-CETERA. :angry:

in sum. there is no defending BANDAI, nor this Frankenstein they've marketed, apologies if you cannot bring yourself to agree.

only one real remedy exists for this nightmare; BACK TO THE WACOM DRAWING TABLET RIGHT THE HELL NAO, BANDAI, OR I SHOOT YOU ALL DEAD UNTIL YOU DIE OF IT... :angry:

Edited by Shaorin

Not going to comment too much as I don't have one yet and haven't assembled one. But I will just say that in this day and age, there should be a reasonable expectation that (when new), any transforming mecha pla-model or toy should (a) lock together reasonably well in all modes and (b) be reasonably non-froppy (to the extent that it can hold a pose).

If a model or toy fails those criteria, then I won't consider it for purchase.

Graham

And how many 1/60 YF-19s did you get after a favorable review!?

And how many 1/60 YF-19s did you get after a favorable review!?

I got one to review. Can't remember if I got any additional free ones after review. I certainly bought a few extras though.

And to be fair to the v.1 1/60 YF-19, it was Yamato's state of the art at the time and when new did lock together and hold a pose reasonably well. Time has not been favorable to it though and the joints have loosened considerably (or even disintegrated in some cases). Also, it has been surpassed in design by newer releases such as the VF-19 series.

Anything which is too froppy, doesn't lock together well or which parts are constantly falling off of like those horrid Banpresto transforming VF-1 toys is just too frustrating and takes the fun out of the model or toy.

Getting back on topic, l may risk picking up one of these to see is it really as bad as everyone is saying.

Graham

The Japanese modelers are hating this according to the reviews on amazon japan (currently only at two stars)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B00C0NS0KW/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The funniest review I've seen is the first 1 star which states:

こんなひどいものなら、出さないで欲しかった。
時間の無駄、です。

Translation: Because it's so bad I wish it never came out. A Waste of time.

Edited by Duymon

My models usually come from two categories:

1. Fixed pose with which you could ADD loads of details onto it (Hasegawa, Tamiya, Fujimi, B-Club, Club M, Yellow Submarine and so on....)

2. Free pose (you could hardly make them look good without loads of modifications (BANDAI!!!!)

i sure as hell did, exactly as instructions dictated.

From your own admission in the rest of your post, you did not assemble it as per the instructions. (Ie the shoulder hinges).

I'm not trying to harp on your a$$. The instructions clearly state that they are to be pushed in until one hears a click. It sounds like you didn't do that (or worse, you took them out and put them back in, wearing down the raised edge).

The Japanese modelers are hating this according to the reviews on amazon japan (currently only at two stars)

(...)

Translation: Because it's so bad I wish it never came out. A Waste of time.

Are there any that are a bit more constructive (ie why it's a waste of time, not that it is a waste of time - simply because toys and model kits are inherently time wasters...)

2. Free pose (you could hardly make them look good without loads of modifications (BANDAI!!!!)

LOL

Edited by sketchley

I'm a noob when it comes to building a kit, so I'm using this kit as my experiment before I tackle the more expansive Yamato 1:60 scale kits. I've made some adjustment to reinforce the fragile areas. I think this is a decent looking kit, it just need some TLC.

Anyone notice that the VF-1S head is a tad to big or is it just me?

post-7962-0-25401400-1375079594_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-77953900-1375079603_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-00309400-1375079636_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-79152800-1375079650_thumb.jpg

I'm a noob when it comes to building a kit, so I'm using this kit as my experiment before I tackle the more expansive Yamato 1:60 scale kits. I've made some adjustment to reinforce the fragile areas. I think this is a decent looking kit, it just need some TLC.

Anyone notice that the VF-1S head is a tad to big or is it just me?

Are you sure you're a noob? : ) Applying those strips of metal takes some skill and a lot of patience.

Are you sure you're a noob? : ) Applying those strips of metal takes some skill and a lot of patience.

Patience is what I have and I've read a lot of tips and trick on other airplanes and gundam building technic many years, but never got myself started building on one until now.

I think I might take sketchley's side on this.

For those who've been doing nothing but complaining non-stop about this kit(some of you, not all of you), why don't you show some pics of your finish builds so we can see how much effort you put into this?

I'm really sorry if I sound irritable in this post, but I've been seeing more noisy b*itching rather than constructive criticism. At first I was about to accept the bad news about this kit, but the more I look through these post, the more I'm getting irritated, which finally leads me to think some of you guys might have just rushed this kit, no matter what you claimed. Thanks to that, it encourages me to do the opposite: I'll be buying the kit, but will be buying the Focker version later. Whether it's frustrating to build & transform, or decently made is for me to judge.

Even Dalong's review admitted the build was flawed, but at least it was constructive enough that it wasn't painful to browse through unlike here.

Some of you REALLY need to calm down.

Edited by MangledMess

The whole joy of Bandai Gunpla was that you could put less than 8 hours into a model kit and end up with something that was by no means a WM-cheng-build but good enough to diplay on the desk and enjoy looking at.

Just look at the VF-25's....

The 1/72 armored Alto builds up in less than 8 hours and retails for 8000-ish while the DX will run you 22000 retail. In real-world prices the model is more like 6000-ish while the DX + parts prolly be in the 30000 range.

The Models offer people a chance to have a nice display piece (albeit with some elbow grease) without having to pony up big bucks for Yammies or Bandai DX Chougokins.

post-25-0-65181400-1375113698_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-52007900-1375114644_thumb.jpg

*yeah I know ozzie's helmet is wrong :p

The VF-1 falls pretty short of even the mark the now 6-year-old 25's set for Bandai Macross :0 Considering the plethora of alternatives available on the subject (even the Yammy kit can be found for pretty close in price and is actually more accurate) and the numerous flaws I uncovered on my Bandai VF-1 During Building , I honestly couldn't recommend this kit to ANYONE who is expecting the casual gunpla experience. This thing will raise your blood pressure and after you build it and even look at the legs wrong, they will hemmorage various pieces like it's going out of style.

So Bandai kit in the closet out of view, hellow Hi-metal vf-1s, 1/48 yammies in the display cabinet :p

Edited by Duymon

I guess some people might be upset just because Bandai keeps reinforcing that perception that they really don't care about Macross, through either their marketing actions, or lack of product testing. Personally, Bandai's bad design decisions in the past few years have left a really bad taste in my mouth that just won't go away, because they keep doing things to bring it back.

At the same time, at least they're making things, and keeping the brand alive. I just wish that Bandai's company structure didn't essentially amount to a half dozen different entities, all producing things independently without taking any input from the others. Seriously, it feels like directly competing rival corporations have better communication between them than Bandai's separate departments. I mean, at least when rivals see a good move by a competitor, they have the sense to copy it. Meanwhile, every separate product by Bandai seems to have to go through a few iterations before they start solving the problems the other departments already addressed. :p

Anyway, apologies for being so negative when I haven't even built the kit. I guess I'm just disappointed, because I would actually have loved for this to be worth getting.

Edited by Chronocidal

The whole joy of Bandai Gunpla was that you could put less than 8 hours into a model kit and end up with something that was by no means a WM-cheng-build but good enough to diplay on the desk and enjoy looking at.

Just look at the VF-25's....

The 1/72 armored Alto builds up in less than 8 hours and retails for 8000-ish while the DX will run you 22000 retail. In real-world prices the model is more like 6000-ish while the DX + parts prolly be in the 30000 range.

The Models offer people a chance to have a nice display piece (albeit with some elbow grease) without having to pony up big bucks for Yammies or Bandai DX Chougokins.

The 1/72 VF-25F kit is the single worst kit I've ever built ever built in my entire life. nothing could possibly be more un-fun to build.