Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

Which is why I'm hesitant about buying transformable kits. The very least one would like to do with these kits is to give them a clear coat to get rid of the plasticky finish. But with so many moving parts, it's hard to avoid scraping paint or clear coat off during transformation.

in that case, why not buy at least four kits, if your budget can handle it?

three to go all out on, building them up in their assigned respective modes, and one for "fun"

to do the basic assembly/finishing job on so you can fiddle with and transform without worry?

Edited by Shaorin

I am excited for this kit, already in German customs.

Can't really understand why so many are against this kit. Sure it deviates in some areas, but the Yamato's and Hasegawa's are not 100% accurate either (if that is even possible with a purely fictional object).

One downer I have though is that there are no side covers, one of the most neglected areas for the VF-1

Would have been nice to see what Bandai could come up with here.

Can't really understand why so many are against this kit. Sure it deviates in some areas, but the Yamato's and Hasegawa's are not 100% accurate either (if that is even possible with a purely fictional object).

no existing VF-1 scale toy or model is 100% line art accurate, nor will one ever be, since the original VF-1 line art depiction would never be able to transform.

the original VF-1 line art simply lacks the proper proportions for such a transformation in the 3-D physical world, in any one of Kawamori's three early-1980's mode drafts.

admittedly, in many ways the original line art comes damn close, but it still ultimately remains no joy.

in sum, the line art is a fantastic starting point for a variable model/toy, but a mere starting point is all it will ultimately ever be.

indeed, this new BANDAI design is very good, and infinitely superior to the old 1/72 early-80's parts-former,

that said, most fans agree that the YAMATO 1/60v.II is the current definitive reference in best-balanced proportions in a variable VF-1 scale replica.

as such, 1/60v.II is the yardstick most fans hold every other variable model/toy made to date up against, including this latest BANDAI effort,

and many, if not most fans have found it to be rather wanting...

Edited by Shaorin

no existing VF-1 scale toy or model is 100% line art accurate, nor will one ever be, since the original VF-1 line art depiction would never be able to transform.

the original VF-1 line art simply lacks the proper proportions for such a transformation in the 3-D physical world, in any one of Kawamori's three early-1980's mode drafts.

admittedly, in many ways the original line art comes damn close, but it still ultimately remains no joy.

in sum, the line art is a fantastic starting point for a variable model/toy, but a mere starting point is all it will ultimately ever be.

indeed, this new BANDAI design is very good, and infinitely superior to the old 1/72 early-80's parts-former,

that said, most fans agree that the YAMATO 1/60v.II is the current definitive reference in best-balanced proportions in a variable VF-1 scale replica.

as such, 1/60v.II is the yardstick most fans hold every other variable model/toy made to date up against, including this latest BANDAI effort,

and many, if not most fans have found it to be rather wanting...

You my friend are a politician! ... might I add that most model builders would like the new "deviations" to be erroring on the side of realism. That's why we build models. Otherwise we just buy toys to play with.

'sup with the U.N. SPACYs on the GU-11 strap? even though i've seen them there on most every build-up of this kit so far,

it still looks rather goofy to my eye, kind of like the modeler had extra decals left and didn't quite know what to really do with them.

yeah, i'll definitely be leaving those off of mine...

Edited by Shaorin

I am excited for this kit, already in German customs.

It really isn't about accuracy. It's simply a one of those subjective viewpoint things.

Edited by Vifam7

I got mine today, I think off the bat it's a gorgeous looking kit. I want to do an panel wash on the kit but as been stated, clear coat could probably scrape and such right off it and that wouldn't be bueno.

'sup with the U.N. SPACYs on the GU-11 strap? even though i've seen them there on most every build-up of this kit so far,

it still looks rather goofy to my eye, kind of like the modeler had extra decals left and didn't quite know what to really do with them.

yeah, i'll definitely be leaving those off of mine...

i never really understood what the gun straps were for. do robots get tired from the weight of the gun? i can understand there may be cases both hands need to be free and the gun has to be stowed. but on a mechanical soldier, one would think it would be simpler to just mount the gun either mechanically or magnetically to either the forearms, back, or somewhere.

i never really understood what the gun straps were for. do robots get tired from the weight of the gun? i can understand there may be cases both hands need to be free and the gun has to be stowed. but on a mechanical soldier, one would think it would be simpler to just mount the gun either mechanically or magnetically to either the forearms, back, or somewhere.

It's simple. Like everything else in the anime, it's part of rule-of-cool. It doesn't make logical sense, but it looks cool, so why not?

I'm still of the party who say, if we're going to nitpick details like that, we should take a step back and look at the overarching premise, here: Giant robot transforming fighter jets fighting 40-foot-tall humanoids from space. (And we win the war through the power of a love song) I guess I'm just not anal enough to let gunpod straps or nonsense panel lines bother me when the premise is as ridiculous as that.

remember; this was the early 1980's; 1970's sensibilities, while beginning to fade, were still making their presence felt...

Found this on youtube you guys hope you enjoy!!!

Review on the 1/72 VF-1A/S Hikaru By Bandai:

Its the full transformation sequence!

Edited by Hikaru1234567890

You know, even with the wonky proportions and questionable design decisions (knees/thighs/tailfin hinge), it's still a PT 1/72 snap-together kit with integral heat shield and landing gear. Pretty damn cool. I might have to pick a few up.

The only thing I truly can't stand about this kit is the Yammy V1-style removable nose-piece for the legs. That one just drives me bonkers, but then again there's prolly little they coulda done in 1/72 scale to prevent that without some mad durability issues and/or compromising the leg gimmick.

Edited by Duymon

So far, most of it looks "fixable". I suppose it's a "true" model kit - you don't get a nice one until you put some work to it.

But man... those knees are really bothering me, Along with the "Bandai nose".

post-2535-0-44958500-1372860744.jpg

The shape's significantly better, but it's still there.

post-2535-0-29013100-1372860968.jpg

But man... those knees are really bothering me, Along with the "Bandai nose".

attachicon.gifbandainose.jpg

actually, that asinine nose sculpt was all IMAI's fault, not BANDAI's. when IMAI went under in the early 80's, BANDAI bought out all of IMAI's MACROSS model kit molds,

and, starting in 1985, went on to lazily re-release the best-selling of those kits every half decade or so, until fans were generally quite sick of the tired old things.

AFAIK, the last major re-release of those dated old kits was for the 15th anniversary, but i believe BANDAI might've ponied the ancient things out once more

some time in the interim between 1997 and the day they finally got off their lazy GUNDAM-spangled asses to deliver this new VF-1 effort for MACROSS' 30th...

Edited by Shaorin

actually, that asinine nose sculpt was all IMAI's fault, not BANDAI's. when IMAI went under in the early 80's, BANDAI bought out all of IMAI's MACROSS model kit molds,

and, starting in 1985, went on to lazily re-release the best-selling of those kits every half decade or so, until fans were generally quite sick of the tired old things.

AFAIK, the last major re-release of those dated old kits was for the 15th anniversary, but i believe BANDAI might've ponied the ancient things out once more

some time in the interim between 1997 and the day they finally got off their lazy GUNDAM-spangled asses to deliver this new VF-1 effort for MACROSS' 30th...

Huh... I didn't know about the Imai history ( should've done my homework :lol: ). But in any case, it's Bandai's nose now - especially since they insist on keeping & reiterating all the wrong details.

I got this kit in hand.

Guys, don't hate it until you got one in hand. This thing is a pretty complex kit and I'm sure it'll look great with a little love.

If you give this kit as much love as you do a hasegawa, it will look pretty damn good and will transform.

Honestly I could care less about the inaccurate panel lines on an imaginary plane. The nose and cockpit are more of an old-school pre-hasegawa nose that reminds me more of old-school macross if you get my drift.

Just be happy we have Macross at all, and for only 4500 retai (3600 after hlj discount).

That's a lot of pieces falling off left and right, repeatedly.

i like it, a lot.

sure there are lots of external parts falling off constantly, but that isn't anything a little gluing in all the right places won't fix.

now, he was having issues with the leg-delivery panel armature coming loose, but he was handling it fairly brusquely for the camera...

Huh... I didn't know about the Imai history ( should've done my homework :lol: ). But in any case, it's Bandai's nose now - especially since they insist on keeping & reiterating all the wrong details.

BANDAI has had a long history of lazyness in regards to MACROSS, and one could argue that they continue that attitude to this very moment.

still, be thankful i say; this is in fact the hardest BANDAI has really tried with anything MACROSS-related since 1985 and their 1/72 HCMs,

and it is a damned sight better than both those and the 1/72 IMAI-sourced parts-former kits...

Edited by Shaorin

You my friend are a politician! ... might I add that most model builders would like the new "deviations" to be erroring on the side of realism. That's why we build models. Otherwise we just buy toys to play with.

Mr. Cheng you are totally right!!!!

These is a model kit NOT a toy, that's why at least for me is not a good representation of any of the 3 modes. I still don't know why so many people compere these Bandai release with Yamato. Compare yamato with the new Arcadia!!

I still don't know why so many people compere these Bandai release with Yamato...

why do you suppose? because most of us generally agree that YAMATO/ARCADIA's 1/60 TOY gets so many things right

where this BANDAI 1/72 MODEL KIT gets many of those very same things quite wrong...

Edited by Shaorin

Found this on youtube you guys hope you enjoy!!!

Review on the 1/72 VF-1A/S Hikaru By Bandai:

Its the full transformation sequence!

wow! what a disaster! I can't imagine it once painted... sorry, but I'll pass.

First off, before anyone gets too uppity, let me say that the engineering itself is pretty awesome. That being said....

Basically yes. Watching that movie makes me think how quickly any paint job I might attempt will get ruined. Just transforming it from fighter to gerwalk involved more handling than I had with my last model after I finished a glosscoat. Three transformations and it would be all for naught. The modes are a mixed bag. Fighter looks terrible. Gerwalk pretty good, and battroid the best... sorta big head aside.

I get the feeling had they made it 1/48 scale they wouldn't have had to make so many compromises

or even 1/60, really...

Basically yes. Watching that movie makes me think how quickly any paint job I might attempt will get ruined. Just transforming it from fighter to gerwalk involved more handling than I had with my last model after I finished a glosscoat. Three transformations and it would be all for naught...

i'm of the mind that this "model kit" is best treated as an unassembled toy...

Edited by Shaorin

you DO know it comes with the markings you need to color it? Sticker and decal forms. Fair enough it does need some painting but VERY little from what I've been looking at parts wise. Infact, there's probably a lot less to paint on this VF-1 then there was on their 1/72 VF-25's from years back.

I've got parts soaked and air drying before I start the gloss clear coat and start panel lining it.