Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean the legs. I encircled the part on the nose where the hips are supposed to connect. The manual says that you have to remove the bar at the nose covering the slots for the hip joints, just like the v1.

It took Y company 2 generations to figure out that hip joints and retractable gun pod, so it's excusable for Bandai. :rolleyes:

It looks awesome on the promo shots, but to get to those promo shots will require extensive gap-filling and sanding which pretty much is the opposite of the "fun 4-5 hour build" kits that we're used to from Bandai O_o

The second build below shows a lot of gaps that are going to drive me nuts until they're Mr. Surfacer'ed and smoothed out.

EXACTLY!!!

Not to mention the panel lines to nowhere that need to be filled or rescribed. <_<

I dunno. I think it'll look good, but there are so many design choices that I just can't comprehend. Doing something different, I get.. but so many changes didn't need to be made to the design, and they come off looking worse. And why the blue blazes did they need to make those retracting leg panels for such tiny arms? :blink:

I just don't get these crazy stupid panel lines that go no-where? I'd rather it be smooth than such blatant mistake on the chest piece of all things.

That being said, I wonder if this would be a good kit to model in flight transformation? Kind of like what they had at the Macross Museum, but I don't think I could build that many steps as I'm sure the build experience will be similar to the VF-25 - and that just about drove me crazy!

post-244-0-45887400-1372426209_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-13051800-1372426210_thumb.jpg

I just don't get these crazy stupid panel lines that go no-where? I'd rather it be smooth than such blatant mistake on the chest piece of all things.

Yeah, I can't un-see that strip of rectangles on the underside of the wings, personally...

Battroid mode is growing on me, I feel like I'm shifting from "I see what they were going for and it was a good effort but it looks awkward and lanky" to simply "that's a pretty good battroid"

Something about fighter mode still really throws me off, though. I think the dorsal fuselage just isn't big enough to offset the bulk of battroid parts being carried on the underside.

I expect the Bandai would be a good kit for building a transformation sequence, but... 6 or more copies at 4500 yen each... gets kind of pricy.

It took Y company 2 generations to figure out that hip joints and retractable gun pod, so it's excusable for Bandai. :rolleyes:

I suppose that's understandable, but everything up to this point makes Bandai look like it's been intentionally hiding in its own Cone of Silence for the past 10-12 years.

I suppose that's understandable, but everything up to this point makes Bandai look like it's been intentionally hiding in its own Cone of Silence for the past 10-12 years.

Exactly. Just because you didn't invent something doesn't give you an excuse not to build on what other people have already been doing for years. It's like they keep their design engineers locked away, sequester them off in some bunker so they don't learn of what other companies have already done (better).

Just because it took Yamato two tries to get it doesn't mean Bandai gets a pass for a generation. You have to learn from your competition if you expect to stay competitive.

It's a working design, sure.. but I don't see why they felt the need to completely redesign so many things that already worked, and sometimes worked better.

See, for stuff like the knees and even the tail hinges.. I just don't get it. I cannot wrap my mind around the logic that lead to their designs. Like, what thought process would lead to the decision that they were the best option? They're not just inaccurate, and less functional than other pre-existing designs.. they're ugly.

Exactly. Just because you didn't invent something doesn't give you an excuse not to build on what other people have already been doing for years. It's like they keep their design engineers locked away, sequester them off in some bunker so they don't learn of what other companies have already done (better).

Just because it took Yamato two tries to get it doesn't mean Bandai gets a pass for a generation. You have to learn from your competition if you expect to stay competitive.

It's a working design, sure.. but I don't see why they felt the need to completely redesign so many things that already worked, and sometimes worked better.

See, for stuff like the knees and even the tail hinges.. I just don't get it. I cannot wrap my mind around the logic that lead to their designs. Like, what thought process would lead to the decision that they were the best option? They're not just inaccurate, and less functional than other pre-existing designs.. they're ugly.

Maybe it's a matter of pride?

With their MG 3.0 RX-78 coming out, there's just no excuse for all the things that are wrong with this VF-1 kit.

This kit feels like (really good, internet famous) fan art, instead of official licensed product.

Maybe Bandai really doesn't like Macross?

With their MG 3.0 RX-78 coming out, there's just no excuse for all the things that are wrong with this VF-1 kit.

This kit feels like (really good, internet famous) fan art, instead of official licensed product.

This kit would have received MG treatment if they do.

MG is nothing more than a product line - and a mostly Gundam-exclusive one at that. What do you expect would be different if the kit were labeled "MG"?

I'd expect to see more inner frame with working joints if it's MG, and I do know that the MG is mostly on Gundam.

Or maybe this is how Kawamori wants it to be.

I'd expect to see more inner frame with working joints if it's MG, and I do know that the MG is mostly on Gundam.

There's not really a lot of room for anything like that...

I only point out that MG is almost (or perhaps completely, at this point) exclusive to Gundam because Bandai has created other lines that are basically MG in everything but name - for instance Real Robot Revolution or the Votoms kits. I think Bandai's Macross kits are MG-quality as well - which has both good and bad implications.

[...] Honestly I can see why they had to fudge the gun pod connection point. The arms are so jammed packed there's little room for the Yamato style indent.

The connection point is useful for the display stand attachment. At least it's cool they took extra advantage of it being there... <_<

post-12283-0-73254200-1372447504_thumb.jpg

post-12283-0-31771800-1372447886_thumb.jpg

Bandai is paving the way to make TV version's VF-1J for Max and Millia, and might as well VF-1A for Max and Kakizaki. Here's what I observed:

post-6994-0-83492300-1372449283.jpg

The knee armor parts B27 and B28.

post-6994-0-00297600-1372449885_thumb.jpg

The counter-vernier nozzle parts B18 and B21.

post-6994-0-28876300-1372450362_thumb.jpgpost-6994-0-76496700-1372450379.jpg

The lower leg armor parts C11 and A11, as well as A15 with C2 and C8.

post-6994-0-57929800-1372450614_thumb.gifpost-6994-0-00562900-1372450642_thumb.gif

They work perfectly to recreate TV version Max's and Millia's VF-1J.

post-6994-0-01006400-1372450659.jpgpost-6994-0-08961000-1372451389_thumb.jpg

And looking at the spruce switches (in red circles) around the finger parts in spruce "F", I have a sneaky feeling that there will be round fingers for TV version.

Edited by LeDudeModele

I wouldn't bet on them making any fancy variant designs, but it'd be nice if they tried. A VF-1D might not be much of a stretch, but I don't know how good the VT-1's packs will look with Bandai's wonky new proportions.

Really, that's another thing I just can't get.. why did they feel that they had to entirely change the design of the leg packs? Could they not design a knee joint that'll bend far enough to accomodate the original design with the boxy fuel tank behind the leg?

The kit's box is actually surprisingly big, even the fast pack parts. I guess they had to justify the cost by placing it in a large box to make the buyer feel better!

The box' artwork though, IMHO is only so so.

Oh...and yeah, the kit was supposedly released today but was already available at the Macross exhibition, which commenced a day earlier.

The exhibition also ad the Metal Bo's SD VF-1S Hikaru Strike resin kit for sale, which I thought was not available until August/or a Wonder Fetival exclusive!

Apologies if this has already been answered, but can the fast packs be added at a later date or do they have to be put on and perminantly fixed to the Valk when it is being built like the VF-25 kits.

Chris

It looks like the arms could have been a bit larger without protruding past the legs in fighter mode. That's a bummer because they just look too thin in battroid. When someone gets the guts to make the next toy version having the arms feature a slide out extension for battroid would be brilliant.

i went ahead and canceled my pre-order of the upcoming Focker 1S version, and ordered this Hikaru no.1 from HLJ.

i might as well have the very first edition of this kit, complete with the DYRL Minmay figure and all. i might just get the strike armor set down the road too,

considering how iconic of DYRL this version actually is, final battle against Boldolza and all...

DYRL34.png

DYRL39.png

DYRL40.png

DYRL41.png

Edited by Shaorin

Maybe I'm the minority here, but I'm just happy Bandai is releasing this kit. Proportionate or not, Kawamori approved the design, and if the promo images indicates, the final design was redone by him. Sure the fighter mode looks a bit pudgy, but the battroid is good and the mechanical tid bits are a welcome addition.

It boils down to one thing... $45 transforming Macross collectibles. I hope this line continues since it's a model kit, easier to produce, and no assembly/painting cost like the Hi-Metal toys. I'm seriously buying all 1/72 Macross kits when available. I bought all the Frontier kits, dangling floppy bits and all, and although slightly dissapointed at the (lack of) engineering, it's still much more accessible than the DX toys financially.

i just consider it important mostly because my very first introduction to the VF-1

was via a poorly painted/completed ARII/REVELL "ROBOTECH CHANGERS" "VEXAR" 1/72 variable VF-1S kit

that one of my nephews gave me as a pre-teen back around 1988/1989ish.

kind of neat to have the opportunity to come full circle after a fashion, after 20+ years,

with the very first 1/72 variable VF-1 model in like 30 years now? :):wub:

Edited by Shaorin

Or maybe this is how Kawamori wants it to be.

Probably. But I have a hard time believing all the unusual details* were done at Kawamori's request.

*Bandai's patented incorrect chest stripes, 3 different sizes of circle verniers, cartoonish oversized heads, strange panel lines, VF-25 knees, outdated tailfin joints, dislocating ankle panel & "Valk in hotpants".

The dislocating ankle panel is one of the things that is awesome about this model... kinda shocked to see someone take issue with it. I also find "cartoonish" to be a pretty funny word to complain about a model based on a cartoon. I agree there are lots of problems though. I think people have looked at their Yamato's more recently than they've looked at the show in regard to a lot of the head complaints. The 1A head looks great.... the 1S head does look a bit overdone though.

Bandai is paving the way to make TV version's VF-1J for Max and Millia, and might as well VF-1A for Max and Kakizaki. Here's what I observed:

attachicon.gifknee cover.jpg

The knee armor parts B27 and B28.

attachicon.gifcounter-vernier nozzle.jpg

The counter-vernier nozzle parts B18 and B21.

attachicon.giflower leg 1.jpgattachicon.giflower leg 2.jpg

The lower leg armor parts C11 and A11, as well as A15 with C2 and C8.

attachicon.gifMax VF-1J leg.gifattachicon.gifMillia VF-1J leg.gif

They work perfectly to recreate TV version Max's and Millia's VF-1J.

attachicon.giffingers.jpgattachicon.giffinger switches.jpg

And looking at the spruce switches (in red circles) around the finger parts in spruce "F", I have a sneaky feeling that there will be round fingers for TV version.

Great work, detective LeDude! How'd you notice that?

I'd pick up set of M&M super versions if they release them!

The dislocating ankle panel is one of the things that is awesome about this model... kinda shocked to see someone take issue with it. I also find "cartoonish" to be a pretty funny word to complain about a model based on a cartoon.

I happen like the addition of that ankle panel AND the moveable nose cone, it gives it more of a robotic yet dynamic "humanoid" element like the vf-25. I think Kawamori and Bandai are simply just modernizing the age old design. Man, wouldn't it be great it they released a cartoon featuring these new Valks in fantastic CG!