Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

Things are looking up on this. I LOVE the wepons selection and the hardpoints on the wings.

Painitng something that can transform is an issue. I painted the original transforming Fokker decades ago and did not paint it overall, but left it the neutral white. Problems that STILL pop up are yellowing, especially on glue joints and scuffed decals - despite a clear cotaing. I'm throwing around using Solo plastic plates and cups plastic strips for the "paint". Try to scrape that off! Yes, it will be slightly raised, but it won't scrape off.

Then there's that yellowing along the seems again... - MT

They should just mold it in metal, then the scratches from transformation would be realistic ;)

that would be quite nice... on a $1000.00 1/48 DX CHOGOKIN toy... :(

Edited by Shaorin

Kinda does. Like it's to cleanly cut or something, real sharp angled. Doesn't really change my mind though I wanna give this kit a chance. There are some REALLY neat gimmicks I like that makes it looks very mechanical.

Straighten out the legs and it reminds me of the skinny legged Kaiyodo mini transformable figs.....maybe whoever set it up did a bad job.... ;)

tpOGSiHDuH72HEqYwGat8w.jpg

This VF-1S battroid seems to be mistransformed. The VF-1A battroid pic looks more correct.

Edited by Vifam7

I understand why they did the ankle panel and also the joint below the intake that alows the thigh to pivot to the side for greater poseability, but in that Hikaru DYRL VF-1S battroid pic it just looks odd.

And yes, the fighter mode nose is off.

Graham

Ugh. Not horrible overall I guess, but the devil is in the details.

Nose looks severely droopy, as if they tried to mimic the old kits. VF-25 kneecap design still looks fugly on a VF-1. Legs just look wrong with those extra hinges and pivots. Tails are also sitting really badly on that one, hopefully just mistransformed. Details just look really wrong though, like they made up their own panel lines.

And wtf is with the chest stripes? I mean, on the old 1/55s, it was cute.. but we've been getting VF-1s with the properly angled chest stripes for a really long time now. Are they trying to trademark their mistakes, or are they just completely unaware that those are wrong? Weren't those right on the Hi-Metal 1/100?

Also, is it just me, or are those arms even more anorexic than the Yammie 1/48? They look tiny.

If this is a precursor to a DX toy, I hope they make it so it pivots at the hips instead of underneath them... that looks kinda janky to me. I love the ankle flap, the inability to camber the feet has always been a big issue with achieving dynamic poses.

The fighter mode has a nice 80s style to it, it actually meets my mental image of the VF-1 from the animation better than the Hasegawa design. The battroid lacks all the anime magic that made it work IMO. And WTH were they thinking with those panel lines in the chest intakes?

Maybe it looks off due to the scale they decided to go with.....perhaps a 1/55 or 1/48 DX will better accommodate their "gimmicks"....but if this goofy thing doesn't sell.....that possibility may start fading away.... ;)

In Arcadia we trust!!! Right?....Right!?!?!? :rolleyes:

Nope I'm def. out. Those flipped out knee caps in Gerwalk are a sure fire NO-Go for me. To any that do pick it up I hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, I just hate the way Bandai deals with panel lines. They obviously don't have any understanding that panel lines are the result of piecing together an airframe with various panels, so they should never just go somewhere and end without ending at another seam. Bandai (like many Robot designers... aka Gundam) treats panel lines as a graphic design, something to break up large areas of colour. That's what really bugged me with their Yukikaze models too. With Bandai, you can always count on bad panel lines that go nowhere and fat overly thick landing gears with no tire proportions!

Overall this interpretation seems like a step backwards... just goofy and ill-proportioned. Although it might be worth the spare parts to detail up the internals for a Hasegawa kit.

And wtf is with the chest stripes? I mean, on the old 1/55s, it was cute.. but we've been getting VF-1s with the properly angled chest stripes for a really long time now. Are they trying to trademark their mistakes, or are they just completely unaware that those are wrong? Weren't those right on the Hi-Metal 1/100?

The stripes on the wings are horribly wrong too.