Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

I'll be friggin' amazed if that head shield is integral. I just did a quick line art comparison of the CAD super parts and... those CAD super parts look about as good as the first renderings we saw of this model (terrible). The pylons on top are way undersized while the leg armors are tough to judge from the angle but might be too big... just wonky.

So, I guess I'll be the Lone Dissenting Voice, and still be uninterested in buying one. The underneath side of the nose cone is just too damn busy. And all the complaining about how fragile the pins and hinges are from their VF-25 line, well, it looks like that will be amped up to 11. And do we know if that's an actual pilot figure, or just another Timmy Torso?

So, I guess I'll be the Lone Dissenting Voice, and still be uninterested in buying one. The underneath side of the nose cone is just too damn busy. And all the complaining about how fragile the pins and hinges are from their VF-25 line, well, it looks like that will be amped up to 11. And do we know if that's an actual pilot figure, or just another Timmy Torso?

You are not alone.

Is it just me.. or are the people at Bandai still completely oblivious to how actual aircraft mount weapons? I mean.. in this particular case.. isn't there some lineart showing how the twin reaction missile pack works? Every single time I've ever seen a pair of reaction missiles together, they're mounted sideways on a single pylon with twin rails, or whatever it is that holds them on. But they have this weird looking contraption that mounts two pylons on a plate..

I guess that might work, but why can't they hire someone who knows something about aircraft to help them design their aircraft kits?

Is it just me.. or are the people at Bandai still completely oblivious to how actual aircraft mount weapons? I mean.. in this particular case.. isn't there some lineart showing how the twin reaction missile pack works? Every single time I've ever seen a pair of reaction missiles together, they're mounted sideways on a single pylon with twin rails, or whatever it is that holds them on. But they have this weird looking contraption that mounts two pylons on a plate..

I guess that might work, but why can't they hire someone who knows something about aircraft to help them design their aircraft kits?

Doesn't matter to me, I always have my valks packing 4 micro missile packs anyways :D

I'm not too excited about this. I've got a bajillion and one model kits and 99% of them are Macross. I just don't like the design they've come up with. I'm not able to articulate why, but the design just doesn't 'feel right'.

maybe someone can translate

attachicon.gifgears.JPG

Quick Translation thou it's obvious.

• Both front and main landing gears have high detail.
  • Transformation is done while keeping the room for housing landing gear box.
  • Gear door can be open/closed. (meaning no swap parts, i guess)

Well for what it's worth, the VF-25 kits had opening and closing gear doors too. :p

But the fact that the closeup shows a moving catapult bar means they probably do retract. Also means, everything has to be pretty out of scale on the gear to function properly in that tiny size. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal

I like where this is going. I don't mind if the joint connecting the fist in the forearm ends up being a polycap, that's pretty normal. But I'm very curious to see how affective it'll be transforming with those manipulators for the legs. It's a neat idea, and if it locks the back and chest in place then even better!

mmm... looking the kit as a plamo I just think "how do I fill all the gaps and still transform this model kit?" To me its the same thing as the Vf-25, you will never transform the kit because that will ruin all the paint job, all the gap filling, all your sanding, etc, etc etc. What we really need as a modeler is a really good reprecentation of the VF-1 in gerwalk mode, but It will never trasnform.

If I come to buy one of these bandai VF-1 i will build it as a Gerwalk, for sure, but it will never transform. The Hasesgawa VF-1 fighter/batroid looks a lot bether than these bandai, proportions, especially in Batroid mode, the wings are to big, arms are very thin because they need to fit in the space between the legs in fighter mode, etc.

I mention these as a modeler.

Edited by joscasle

I'm hoping those thin parts will be metal. Even in ABS, that looks thin. PetarB might be right about the limited number of transformations. As far as painting goes, I never painted my originals. I super glued them together and used a same color "blotch" method. It covered the seams, and if it came off, little chance of knowing the difference. The other painted areas didn't have much friction. I guess we'll see how it goes... - MT

I don't understand all the flak this kit is getting given the appreciation that goes toward those transformable Studio Halfeye Macross products that don't look any better IMO.

I don't get the hate either. The thing hasn't been released yet, but we already know that Hasegawa or Yamato's toy are the better VF-1 :rolleyes: