Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

The Bandai Hobby site has been updated as well.

http://bandai-hobby.net/site/character_macross.html

Checkout the nicely detailed pilot.

Also, lots of good detail on the chest and foot thrusters.

From what I can infer from the text, the strike pack design isn't yet finalized. Looks like they haven't really started work on the actual design as they're waiting for the main Valk's form to be finalized.

Edited by Vifam7

It looks better than the Hasegawa VF-1 pilots from 10 years ago :D

Great news on the strike packs from what I could read the blogger is making the fixes to them. Even if they are perfect Macross world will still find a way to biyatch and moan about this kit.

It was funny we all dreamed of Bandai making a Perfect transformation VF-1 all these years and now they are making one people are hating :D

Edited by Duymon

I'm not sure I get the comparison as there are lots of VF-1 models and toys to compare this to. I guess because it's been a long time since we had a transforming model of the VF-1? I don't know how the final product will look but I gotta give this things props for doing some innovative things. It would have been real easy for Bandai to just put out something based on the Hi-Metal or something more status quo. It may prove overly ambitious at 1/72 though... time will tell.

It was funny we all dreamed of Bandai making a Perfect transformation VF-1 all these years and now they are making one people are hating :D

Cuz they shoulda had it spot on by now.. ?? :p

Yeah, the VF-25 kits are still a decent price for what you get, and there seems to be absolutely no shortage of those at all. I'm stocked up well on all the versions, but I keep coming up with reasons I want to buy more, just to attempt different building styles and methods. :p

My handpainted one went pretty well as a first shot, but I actually do want to mask and spray the markings on another. I just can't see any reason to use the decals unless I have to though, they're horribly annoying, and in some cases, just wrong.

I just hope the decals for this VF-1 blow the VF-25 ones out of the water.

Of course.. if all else fails, I could steal a set from a Hasegawa kit. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm not ordering anything until I see a detailed parts breakdown, for how it's molded color-wise. Due to how thin the wings and tailfins are, I'm betting they'll just be single pieces, with decal stripes. (two-toned ventral fins are a pipe dream IMHO, but it'd be nice)

Of course.. if all else fails, I could steal a set from a Hasegawa kit. :p

The UN Spacy insignia decal on the Hasegawa set was annoying too. I don't know why the kite and the red background are two separate pieces.

Edited by Vifam7

The UN Spacy insignia decal on the Hasegawa set was annoying too. I don't know why the kite and the red background are two separate pieces.

Keeping the kite separate from the background gives a solid background for consistent color. If it was printed in one decal, you might see changes in the paint underneath through the kite. Although, I think on the decal sets I have, you have a separate complete kite logo with a white background to go under it, which makes more sense. Putting a white background behind a decal brightens up the decal, and helps it appear the correct color.

That's actually what Bandai needed to do for all their decals. The VF/25 decals were horribly printed, and transparent. Ozma's yellow markings were especially bad. Having some sort of a solid white backing would have actually made them infinitely better. Instead, we had nasty looking transparent decals that picked up every color underneath them.

Anyway.. every time I look at those pictures, a little voice keeps yelling at me and reminding me how incredibly tiny all those parts will be.

Plus.. Have to say, it looks like they screwed up the knee covers. Judging by that picture of the leg folded down, they've got the knee attached and hinged just like a VF-25's, which I don't think it was. Might be the only way they thought they could do it in this size I guess, but they look funny that way.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'd already pre ordered before I even got my hands on the latest issue of Model Graphix

i dunno guys; that looks like it's gonna be awfully delicate at 1/72. 1/48, not a problem, but 1/72?!? i really don't know...

i'm certain that i'll be sampling at least one of these, but with so much intricacy going on on such a small scale,

i don't entertain much hope in the finished model's long-term (or even short term) durability.

hopefully i'll be proved a flat-out Gaijin Barbarian Doubting Thomas, we'll see... :(

Edited by Shaorin

So the pictures shows the A and S head (and HLJ has it with the A/S title) but the prototypes at bandais site shows a J head, anyone knows if this will come with all 4 heads (A, D, J and S)? or only A/S?

If it did come with a D head, you'd also need a new chest piece and heat shield over the canopy. Not too mention it would need to come just in a white molded plastic and leave you to color it to what you'd need. Bandai isn't exactly known to do that.

I'd say both are pretty good actually. The gear doors at least look like they definitely move (though that could be to plug in gear), and you can make out a sliding track on the underside of the chest that might be a track for the heat shield. Could also be a track to relocate the chest as a whole, but it looks like that uses a swing-arm.

Course... we wouldn't have to guess at anything if they'd actually put up some finished product pictures before asking people to buy it. This is feeling like a kickstarter. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal